Receiver Help

Username: Apathyduck

Post Number: 1
Hello everyone, I'm new here and was hoping I could get a little advice. I'm currently in the midst of building a HT system. I'm still a student in college so the plan was to build piece by piece as I get the money. I already have a set of speakers (Boston VR3's) and am looking now to upgrade the old stereo receiver I've been using to a surrond sound one, one which I plan to use for quite some time. I'm in the $1,000-$2,000 dollar price range (ie the Marantz SR7001 is one I've looked at). I'm in the begining of my search so I'm just looking for suggestions, particarluarly on brands, on where I should narrow my search.

My one other concern is right now I'm only building the audio side of my system, but all the recievers now seem to be both audio and video. My concern is buying a receiver now that will have out of date, and incompatiable video technology a few years from now when Im ready to buy a TV. Any advice on this would be greatly appreciated (like perhaps waiting to buy if thats more prudent).

Thanks for the help!

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 10433

"My concern is buying a receiver now that will have out of date, and incompatiable video technology a few years from now when Im ready to buy a TV."

Well, of course, it will; that's how this game works. Buy a product with DVI or HDMI and hope for the best. You cannot completely CYA in this.

Username: Apathyduck

Post Number: 2
I was more concerned if there was something that was supposed to come out in the next few months or years that I should wait for. Anything like that.

Gold Member
Username: Kano

BC Canada

Post Number: 1199
Receivers with on-board decoding for the new audio formats present on HD-DVD and Blu-Ray are starting to come out. If you see yourself going that way at some point it may be worth waiting for one.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us