Polk R150 on sale @ Fry's for $39.99/Pair

Gold Member
Username: Exerciseguy

Brooklyn, NY USA

Post Number: 1011
A damn good bargain for a neat pair of speakers. http://shop3.outpost.com/product/4965491

...I honestly don't know how they sell them for this price?

Silver Member
Username: James_the_god

Doncaster, South Yorkshire England

Post Number: 460
You Americans always seem to have cheap deals on audio equipment such as liquidation stock and £25!! for some polks..seems crazy?. In the UK its never like that.

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 7260
Remember, JJ, that CM is a real hound.These deals are rare in Canuckland as well, but then again, I don't sniff around so much.

Christopher, I missed your 1k post.
Gold member, like Austin Powers.

Gold Member

Brooklyn, NY USA

Post Number: 1012
...and no one even sent me a card.

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 10412

Americans love anything they can perceive as a bargain. Quality is typically secondary to price and since we produce a fair amount of junk, there's always an abundant selection that is ready to be dumped for the next model in line to take its place. It may not be the best system in the world but, like capitalism, it's better than all the rest.

Gold Member

Post Number: 7261
$40 for a pair of speakers that are worth...$40.
Seems OK to me.

Silver Member

Post Number: 461
I guess I thought Polks were worth more. Generally.
And a happy austin powers moment CM.

I suppose I come across bargains by accident after long awaiting what I want to buy. None the less I have everything I want audio wise. I only come here for the community and to gain knowledge.

Nice one Jan. Sticking up for your folks but loving the honesty there. What about American cars?

Gold Member

Brooklyn, NY USA

Post Number: 1013
I cross the 1000 post mark, and this is what I get from you guys?

What other $40, $50, or $60 speakers are worth mentioning? Sony? Pioneer? RCA? These Polks compare favorably with Paradigms, PSBs, Infinities, Athenas, and Wharefdales costing many times more.

Jan, my fellow American, you felt pretty comfortable recommending an excellent $30 T-Amp not so long ago. Demonstrating that quality & price are not mutually exclusive things, right?

On a side note, do you realizes you share the name of the first white male born in New Netherlands? http://www.fulkerson.org/1-janvig.html

Silver Member

Post Number: 463
"On a side note, do you realizes you share the name of the first white male born in New Netherlands? http://www.fulkerson.org/1-janvig.html"

LMAO!

Gold Member

Post Number: 7265
Amazing the things we learn hear.

I was leaning towards Jan Hammer, who wrote the theme music for 'Miami Vice'.

Gold Member

Post Number: 7266
JJ, if you come hear for the community, remember what Mum told you.
You are judged by the company you keep!

Cheers, mate.

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 10414

I didn't mean to imply anything with a low price is junk. In general, I consider bargains to be questionable. If I'm happy with something a year after I made the purchase, no matter what price I paid, I consider than a deal. The SI amp continues to be a deal but only for $30. There are better amplifiers out there for not much more. On the other hand, I paid $200 for each of my Mac tube amps over twenty years ago and I'm still very happy with them. That was definitely a deal!

You can't imagine how many names I've shared with how many people.

Gold Member

Brooklyn, NY USA

Post Number: 1014
Agreed.

Conversely, I view most astronomically priced audiophile equipment skeptically, and keep an eye out for snake-oil.

Jan, I did finally pick-up the Sonic T-Amp's bigger cousin, the Trends Audio TA-10.1, and I love it.

Silver Member
Username: Stefanom

Vienna, VA United States

Post Number: 552
Happy 1k!!! Unlike some posters, they aren't largely fluff posts either.

Silver Member
Username: Stefanom

Vienna, VA United States

Post Number: 553
And FWIW, I still like the Insignia's. My girlfriend gave a pair to her sister along with my old H/K stereo receiver, and now she gets to hear the beginnings of what quality sound can be :-)

Gold Member

Brooklyn, NY USA

Post Number: 1015
Those Insignias are about $75 now.

For that price, I would opt for the Mission M70 (and put $10 back in my pocket).

In the sub-$100 category I think there are 4 "quality" choices on the market at the moment. IMHO:

1. Acoustic Research ARXP62 $100
2. Mission M70 $70
3. Polk R150 $40 (usually $50)
4. Insignia NS-B2111 $75

Gold Member

Post Number: 7271
You can't imagine how many names I've shared with how many people

Space Cowboy?
Gangster of Love?
Maurice?

The dollar/value ratio is a skewed one, to be sure. What is it worth to you, and when?
If it was good at x dollars, what makes it better at x minus 10?
The product has not changed.

The wallet is fat and thin, depending.
The dealerships Looove tax rebate time.

Silver Member

Post Number: 464
Cheers Nuck.

"Jan, I did finally pick-up the Sonic T-Amp's bigger cousin, the Trends Audio TA-10.1, and I love it."

Trend-didnt know that existed, what kind of quality are we talking about here Molloy? I still want to try a tripath amp, maybe when I save £90 I'll buy one for a bit of fun. Being 10watts per channel though will this not damage speakers at all in some way? Is it a realistic replacement for a 'permanent' amp like my current ca540a?

Also love the looks and design of those Insignias. Kevlar and soft dome is my thing but make it 'dual concentric' if Tannoy wont scrutinise me for it, sure looks like they could be on my shopping list right now at that price. Shame they're sold in America though, getting my hands on some may be tough.

Gold Member

Brooklyn, NY USA

Post Number: 1017
Funny you should ask, it just so happens that I too own a CA 540A, and it very nice, but to tell you the truth I prefer the TA-10.1. The CA is just a bit laid back and mildly veiled, the Trends is slightly larger sounding and with pinpoint sound-staging. I paid $100 for the Trends and $200 for the CA.

The Trends recently came out the winner in a digital amp shootout @ www.stereomojo.com .

To tell you the truth, I've only listened to the Insignias under much less than ideal circumstances at Best Buy. I think they were a much better deal when they sold for $40 rather than their current $75. Their main flaw, as I understand it, is cabinet resonance. Their built in out of very flimsy, thin, layers of fiber-board laminate in order to cheaply produce a curved enclosure. The $40 Polk R150 on the other hand, might not have a cool looking cuved cabinet a'la Wharfedale, or a Kef-Q looking driver, but they are a soild improvement over the very good R15. They are now rear ported, have an inverted Mission-style tweeter-mid/woofer configuration, and are built out of solid 3/4 MDF by Polk, an actually speaker company. That seals the deal for me.

Gold Member

Brooklyn, NY USA

Post Number: 1019
If your sold on the Insignias, consider that by time your done with tax and/or shipping, you might want to consider these for $99 w/free shipping.

http://www.radiient.com/Europa-SACD-Capable-Bookshelf-Loudspeakers?sc=2&category =6

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volume_13_2/radiient-technologies-europa-speakers -5-2006.html

Do they look familiar?

Silver Member

Post Number: 467
Thanks for the information Molloy. Im amazed you prefer the Trend! Im not sure what to think now. I like my ca, I do but I must agree its laid back a bit which I do like. If I didnt have a subwoofer though Id hate the ca540a.

Those speakers do look rather much like shall I say the insignias! But why are there two tweeters and why are they metal looking and not soft dome like it says the top ones are. I think I'd rather invest in some quad 11s if anything.

I dunno, I dont even know if I'll see a difference over my current wharfedales and they probably dont ship to the UK.

On the other hand, the TA shall definately still be on my list of things I want..which at this moment in time includes..1) That amp. 2). A guinness t-shirt 3). A new psu. The psu comes first (in about 1 hour and 6 minutes it should be mine), then the t-shirt then the amp.

About this amp, it is able to run off power from the wall? Not some silly need and impossible to find adapter or batteries.

Gold Member

Brooklyn, NY USA

Post Number: 1020
Both the Trends & the Sonic Impact SUPER T-Amp, which both cost about the same, include wall adapters (the SI comes with a battery adapter as well, an option with the Trends).

The CA is a much more versitile amp, but for my current needs, in my current set-up, the Trends sounds better.

The extra tweeter performs more like what is called a SUPER TWEETER (I think).

If anyone has heard the Radiient Europa, I'd like to know?

Silver Member

Post Number: 469
I see, yes I was aware of the super t-amp but sounds like the trends better. For now I'll stay with the fab 540a until I have enough money to blow on such a thing.

Please no, not supertweeters. I cant stand another supertweeter discussion. Rubbish pointless things IMO. Aannyyywaay!

Gold Member

Brooklyn, NY USA

Post Number: 1021
...I did say "I think" they are Super Tweeters.

I think it depends where they start, not nececeraly where they finish.?

Silver Member

Post Number: 471
I know Molloy. I'm just expressing my views on supertweeters. In all honestly I think they're still a gimmick. It's true that where they start may add the 'sparkle' and extension I guess. But they're not a buying point for me.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us