Speaker selection help!

Username: Datunte

Post Number: 2
Hello all,

I am very new to this all, but excited as hell. I want to get the Pioneer Elite VSX-84TXSi
for my A/V receiver. I am having a hard time matching up speakers. I have $2500-$3000 to spend on speakers. Any suggestions?

Thanks yall!

Silver Member
Username: Davidpa

Portland, Oregon US

Post Number: 456
Yep.
polk audio
nht
boston acoustics
tyler acoustics
vienna acoustics
b @ w
m @ k
paradigm
martin logan
sonus faber
infinity
aerial acoustics
klipsch
cerwin vega
revel
dynaudio
anthony gallo
canton
KEF
KLH
dali
meridian
overkill audio
bolzano
monitor audio
totem
mordaunt-short
focal
triangle
jamo
thiel
atc
proac
apendor
wilson
naim
linn
and of course, bose

Your sure to get many more recommendations as I'm sure I missed some, but this should be a good starting point.

Platinum Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 13896
for the Pioneer...I'd go with Axiom

http://www.axiomaudio.com/epicgrandmaster_500main.html

Silver Member
Username: Gavdawg

Upstate, New York

Post Number: 625
I would NOT mate warmer sounding speakers with that Pioneer Elite.

I myself would recommend Axiom and Klipsch Reference with the Pioneer.

If you pair it with a warm speaker, the sound can become muddy. System synergy is very important. While I like a warm sound, I don't like it too warm. If the receiver and speakers both have a warmth to them, it will become overbearing after a while.

Silver Member

Portland, Oregon US

Post Number: 461
Gavin, YOU would not. Some might, and Im sure have. I put the names (all of em) there more as a joke if it was overlooked. What we recommend, what he has access to, his listening habits all play a factor. Plus, the OP never gave any valuable info except that he was looking for a speaker "to match" which is vague in its own right, hence all the different brands I posted. I honestly am surprised there was an actual speaker recommendation without knowing what the OP likes for sound.

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 10331

I cannot remember a warm sounding amplifier and speaker combination ever becoming "overbearing". Exceedingly dull is imaginable, even reconcilable, but never overbearing.

As a rule I'm not big on inserting warm in order to solve bright or vice versa. The basic personality of each presentational style is typically quite different from the other and pairing the two styles commonly results in a BandAid approach that sooner or later must be torn off. I'm far more in favor of understanding what about the sound you purchased made your decision and then following on that theme. If, however, the decision was made without any real thought to the component's sound or how it would work into a system, then there might be problems to address before getting too involved with particulars of sound quality.

Please bear in mind the room will greatly influence the final system sound and make BandAids even more problematic.

I am having a dificult time imagining why, at this stage of buying, anyone would be having problems matching speakers to a new receiver. What did you hear the receiver playing through that made you decide to buy the receiver but you couldn't choose spepakers? What difficulties are you having matching speakers to this receiver? What did you hear from the Elite receiver that made the decision to buy seem like a good idea? And why do you want to spend up to $3k for speakers to pair with a receiver? I hope you're not under the delusion that speakers are the most important part of the system. Have you been dealing with car stereo until now?

Gold Member
Username: Arande2

Just a matte... Missouri

Post Number: 2394
IMHO, you know, hey, you're all right in your own way. My appointment to listen to some receivers and speakers is pending. I will give you my findings when I get back (I'll bring the recording of our concert; it sounded great live AND I know what it sounded like) so there. My dad is on a business trip in Arkansas, so it might be a while, but at least I get to be the family cook (mom doesn't cook).

I gave you that info because you might be thinking, "I thought he said he was going to go audition last week (this week, next week, etc)!"

Silver Member

Upstate, New York

Post Number: 630
David, I know you were being sarcastic with all the mfr's.

Jan, I know you aren't a fan of doing that for the above reasons.

I admit that overbearing was meant as overbearing in the warmth department... IE too much warmth per-say...

I agree that a band-aid approach can be problematic, but certain speakers DO sound good with certain amps/receivers, and others sound less good... and that alone was my point. I guess I should have stated that instead.

But, in the end it all boils down to personal preference. Isn't that what it is all about in the end? A certain sound that one person likes I may not.

Silver Member

Upstate, New York

Post Number: 631
Jan, that is precisely why I like the way the Rotel amp sounds with my MMG's... normally it would be bright, but the room they are in is slightly dead.

The room is a large part of the equation.

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 10335

"But, in the end it all boils down to personal preference. Isn't that what it is all about in the end?"

Ya'know, that's what everyone keeps saying on this forum and I never have truly bought that idea. There is real and then there's what you like. I do think you should have a consistent reference for what you like, if nothing else on the order of, "I like to sit in the first row", rather than, "I like to sit in the middle rows". I think that much of a reference, at least, is not too much to ask and would solve many of the problems people have once the "new" of a component has worn off.

I have been shouted down on this forum when I bring up that distinction since most members do not listen to live music and have no more of a reference for what they choose to buy other than, "I like that". What if you like a purple shirt on Tuesday and a yellow pair of pants on Friday. What will the result be when you combine the two on Monday? You'll certainly have to choose socks with care.

In many cases on the forum the listener is more concerned with frequency response and whether anything hurts their ears than the subtler, more artful perception of whether the system sound approaches reality to any degree. So, my point is lost on many of the members who are just finding their way out of the big box stores. Oh, well, we all have to begin somewhere. I bought my first "system" on sale at Radio Shack. To say I knew what I was doing would be a gross overstatement.

However, as a rule, I find most "bright" components/speakers have a presentational style that is meant as a statement the designer hears "this" in live music while most "warm" components have a very different presentational style once you get past frequency response alone. There are, of course, the few components that manage, IMO, to mangle both presentational styles together and that I find unbearable to listen through. And there are also components that do not have a "voice" per se, because the designer has no clue what live, unamplified instruments and musicians can and do create. Or the designer has no desire or ability or in many cases the freedom to portray the different personalities of music. These designers create what "sounds good" to them and hope the person who buys on what "sounds good" to them at the moment might happen by with cash to spend.

Finally, isn't what "sounds good" to you relative to what you have to choose from? If you are without a reference or have a poor recollection of your reference, you are more liekly to go by what you are hearing in the vacuum of the moment. Faced with the choice between a Thiel, a Paradigm and a Rega speaker, (if you were lucky enough to have that much quality at your disposal) you would probably choose the lesser of the offenders, so to speak, rather than the speaker which best portayed reality.

There is more than enough to be said for choosing "what you like" and far more to be said against it, IMO.

Silver Member

Upstate, New York

Post Number: 635
I never really have thought about members that have not attended a live, unamped concert.

Bronze Member
Username: Nout

Post Number: 94
As a rule I'm not big on inserting warm in order to solve bright or vice versa. The basic personality of each presentational style is typically quite different from the other and pairing the two styles commonly results in a BandAid approach that sooner or later must be torn off. I'm far more in favor of understanding what about the sound you purchased made your decision and then following on that theme. If, however, the decision was made without any real thought to the component's sound or how it would work into a system, then there might be problems to address before getting too involved with particulars of sound quality.

You're right of course, under the perfect conditions that is:

- Having the time to audition electronics carefully

- Being able to audition components at your home

- Having a real clue what you like and want concerning music reproduction - a week listening at your home may not necessarily reveal a true shortcoming in the long run, listening fatigue for instance

Taming a bright component with something more laid-back could work very well.

That said.
The different sound characters in most cases aren't differences between night and day.
Pairing your amp with the right speakers could in a way be seen as "solving" bright or warm in a subtle way.

Yes listening to music is more complicated than just listening to sound characteristics like "warm" or "bright", but in many cases this simple approach works fine, you can make things as complicated as you like.

Although I can imagine that for some (listening with vague definitions like "bright" and "laid-back" in their mind) this could be more complicated...

Silver Member
Username: Stefanom

Vienna, VA United States

Post Number: 536
Even without live, unamped music in ones life (and there are at least a few ways one can get this in day to day life without thinking about it: church, street performers, etc), one can still use the human voice as a reference.

Gold Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 2105
Gavin,

I haven't heard a set of speakers which sound good with any of the Pioneer AV amps. Oh, they sound big and have great steering etc., but they don't sound any good. At similar money, I prefer the Denons by far. Then you can get interesting and good results with Dynaudio, Totem, Naim, M&K. Which one suits the OP depends on what's available in his area, the size of the room and the aesthetic requirements of those who live there.

Of course, one still needs a decent source to get a good result, and we don't know what that is.

Regards,
Frank.

Gold Member
Username: Dakulis

Spokane, Washington United States

Post Number: 1074
Aaron, come back, please come back.

Oh, I thought for a moment we were trying to help out the new guy. But, I think he went to another forum.

I think David has the right idea but, probably, the wrong execution. Isn't the real point to find out something about Aaron's use of the Pioneer. After all, it's a 7.1 av receiver.

Aaron may never listen to the sound of music at all. He may only want it to make noise of some sort during movies or make the exploxions rock his house. Or, he may never play a DVD on it but use it to listen to his eclectic recordings of ukelele and harmonica duets, recorded in mono.

So, David's suggestion that Aaron give us a little more information about his use, listening preferences, if any, size of room, size of speakers, number of speakers, with or without sub preference, etc. probably is more important than rushing to judgment on a particular brand, sound, style or smell of speaker. IMHO

But, then again, I'm just a noob myself and all I know is that when all is said and done, I want the sounds to sound like real stuff I've experienced. So, yes Jan, there's got to be a Santa Claus in there somewhere. LOL

I'M BACK, well kinda anyway. Dave.

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 10337

"Aaron, come back, please come back."

"I haven't heard a set of speakers which sound good with any of the Pioneer AV amps."

Ah, I think those two posts are at odds with one another. Certainly, if nothing else has been accomplished, Frank's assessment of the situation should knock the edge off AJ's excitement.

Quickly - I don't think it takes a week of auditioning to determine whether any component will suit your needs. Though it is pleasant to have return privileges it shouldn't be necessary to even audition gear at home to get an idea of how it might meld with existing components. Not if your "rules of engagement" for auditions are set and your reference for "what you like" fixed. If, after a month, you end up with listening fatigue when you had a week to listen before buying, you do not have a good sense of what is important to you in music playback and, I would say, very little idea of what live music sounds like.

And I do wish people would think about what are the causes of their problems before jumping to the conclusion another component might repair the damage. Warm balancing bright is a poor BandAid. "Warm" and "bright" don't even really equate to opposites. Room treatment and speaker placement will bring more benefits to a well put together system than another component that still has the same problems behind it. If you've totally BLYFLIX"d the system by buying the wrong pieces, not much is going to help. But, if you've done your part of the job well, there is a time when money should be put into things that do not plug into an AC outlet.

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 10338

Hello, DAK.

Post Number: 3
Well...this is alot of info. Should I not do Pioneer? Should I do Denon instead? Which model would be comprable to this pioneer?

Thanks!

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 10341

And they're off ..........

Post Number: 4
Let me ask this question:

Which would be better with a NHT set up:

Denon or Pioneer?

Post Number: 5
One more post...

The type of sounds that I love is something that is clean and crisp. I want to be able to put on some jazz and be blown away, and I want feel the explosion in a movie go right through me. I just want it clean. And this is all confusing, but as I read more and more it seems as if I could get what I am looking for in several different configurattions.

I have already bought the Pioneer Elite 1080p 50 inch. I like the price of NHT speakers, but what is the best setup with NHT speakers, Denon or Pioneer. Also, which models of these receivers would make it all work?

Silver Member

Portland, Oregon US

Post Number: 462
Which NHT speakers are you talking about? The older models, and I believe alot of the newer ones are not an easy load on recievers, or stand alone amps for that matter. I used to own the 2.9s, and it took alot of power to get them to sound as good as possible. But, the denon IMO would sound a bit better just for the fact that the denons are a bit more laid back sounding than the pioneers I have heard, BUT, if you do go w/an all in one reciever, be sure to get one with plenty of power, NHTs are not easy to drive from my experience. I do have a friend w/ the classic 3s, and he powers them w/ an Onkyo 2 channel reciever rated at 120wpc, but real world is more like 50-70 wpc, and that combo (to me) doesnt sound bad at all, it does lose umph when played beyond normal listening levels, but sounds great at the modest levels. I tried to get him into a Denon, but the price differences were to big for him to swallow. See if you cant get a demo, if you like the NHT, that means you've got a friend with some, or have seen em at a store no? Have the dealer hook em up to different recievers to see which one you like the best. For the explosion in a movie to go right through you, you are going to need a sub.

Post Number: 6
Thanks. That's good advice!

Silver Member

Upstate, New York

Post Number: 638
I'll have to give Denon a more serious listen Frank :-)

I have liked the Pioneer Elite / Klipsch Reference pairing for a while though.... especially with the RB-5's.

Gold Member

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 2106
Aaron,

I don't know the NHTs I'm afraid so I can't help you there.

Pioneer is a very good brand and make no mistake, but its receivers just don't do it for me. You should be able to find a dealer locally who should be able to show you in a controlled demonstration the differences between various brands of receiver. Pioneer, Denon, Yamaha, Marantz and Harmon Kardon are the volume players. There are others who are less well known of course, such as Arcam (slightly more expensive) and Anthem. In order to know which is the right product for you, you need to hear them.

As to knowing what speakers to match them with, this depends on what's available in your area and your dealer's experience with his product line. He should be able to offer a couple of alternative solutions which take into account your requirements and tastes and he should be able to demonstrate the differences.

Regards,
Frank.

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 7094
Anthem receivers. There's a product I don't see much of.
Anthem is a partner with Psb or Paradigm speakers, cannot remember which.

Silver Member

Portland, Oregon US

Post Number: 463
Partner of Paradigm Nuck. (sonic frontiers)
The Anthem is good stuff, as you know I've had some of their amps, and still use the AVM20, but, Anthem and NHT are not one of the best mates around. The Anthem is a bit forward in nature, and the NHTs are a bit (can be) on the bright side. Rotel would be a great option, and I will second Franks rec for HK, or Marantz. I dont know that the Yamaha would pair up well either because they seem a bit on the bright side to me as well, but they do make good products. But this is of course, just my personal experiences, so, until you can hear them together, its just another combo.

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 10344

Is the Pioneer Elite line sold in the UK?

Gold Member

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 2111
As is so often the case, they are not sold as a separate line merely with different nomenclature.

Regards,
Frank.

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 10346

But there is a product equivalent to the Elite series from Pioneer sold under the mainline Pioneer banner? Unlike the Sony ES line, the Elite series is not just rebadged product with gold plated connectors. I'm not trying to stick up for nor state a case against the Elite products, IMO, they make both very good and sometimes very overpriced for what they are components. What is your contact with the equivalent to the Pioneer Elite line, Frank? Have you made a direct comparison between Pioneer's best and other lines' offerings?

The pairing of the Elite TV and the Elite receiver make for a simplified system set up which may be as valuable to Aj as any other feature, advantage or benefit. AJ came here filled with enthusiasm and is now reconsidering his decision based on a single opinion. Quite honestly, Frank, you're sounding like a salesman here.

Silver Member
Username: Alright_boy

Post Number: 213
Jan is giving his overbearing opinion. If you are wise, you will disregard much of it.

Gold Member

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 2114
Jan,

I'm sorry if I misled you, but I have made a direct comparison against Pioneer's best over here. We had high hopes for it because we admire Pioneer's disc players and plasmas tremendously. Therefore the AV receivers would have made an excellent fit. In the event, we had to choose not to do them simply because it wouold have looked like negative selling - they were that disappointing.

In Europe, the equivalent to the Elite VSX-84TXSi is the VSX-AX4ASi-S. The European model is actually slightly more highly specified than the Elite VSX-84TXSi, but overall it is much the same machine. We also have a more highly specified model than that (VSA-AX10Si) which goes beyond the capabilities of any Elite AV receiver.

I appreciate that elegance of the Pioneer TV/receiver solution is handy but from a purely performance point of view, it would be remiss of me not to suggest alternatives which I believe to be better options. It seemed to me that AJ was looking for advice on the subject and fairly green too, so I gave my experience.

After all, I'm not exactly in this for the money, considering he's on your side of the pond.

Regards,
Frank.

Silver Member

Upstate, New York

Post Number: 647
That is why I like them paired with Klipsch... the massive size of the soundstage and overall warmth.

But... pair them with Paradigm and it's a sonic mess... a ploddingly thick muck.

I am still impressed by the A-35R integrated, especially for the price. The sound is warm and smooth. Make no mistake, it's no McIntosh by any means... but it doesn't come across as bloated as some of the receivers can IMHO.

Possibly this is because of the lack of a tuner and simplified components? I don't know an awful lot about what is inside.

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 10350

OK, thanks, Frank. AJ, you still haven't said why you're having problems deciding on speakers. Is there something you find unsatisfactory about the Pioneer receiver with speakers you have available for audition?

Post Number: 7
No, its not that there is anything wrong with those speakers. Again, I am new to this, and like most things my taste will grow and develop as I get more and more into the world of A/V. If I could at least have a set up that I will have the least amount of regret with 5 years down the line, then I would be happy. I am pretty easy to please.
I do appreciate all the advice and expertise that you guys have on this subject.
I dont know if this is the correct place to ask this question, but: I know for sure that the Pioneer Elite VSX-84TXSi can handle the 1080p. Which model of Denon, at a comparable price can handle 1080p?

Any advice is appreciated!

Silver Member
Username: Stefanom

Vienna, VA United States

Post Number: 540
There are a few things to keep in mind though Aaron:

1. In spite of some people not liking their sonic signature, Pioneer Elite is a strong brand with very respectable products. They wouldn't be around today if people didn't find them appealing after all. IOW, if you like the sound of it in the context of a system, don't worry if others don't like it.

2. System building is about synergy. If you "mix and match", even with good components in some cases, you may not end up with a desirable result. As a result, I would highly advise auditioning *whole* systems at dealers. You can still substitute some things in depending on your taste, but this is a much surer way of being satisfied with your purchase than buying an amplifier at one store, speakers at another, etc.

3. While you may learn things about hi-fi and how systems present sound differently, a system that closely reproduces live music is still a good system. So long as you make a reasonably educated decision on what sounds closest to live music to your ears, you should never regret the purchase decision.

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 10354

AJ, I tend to disagree with spending $3k on speakers to pair with a receiver of almost any brand. And I would certainly hesitate to recommend anyone's first pair of good speakers be that much money. However, if you want to spend your money this way, it's your decision to make. But we can't tell you what speakers you'll like, not now and least of all not in five years.

"The type of sounds that I love is something that is clean and crisp. I want to be able to put on some jazz and be blown away, and I want feel the explosion in a movie go right through me. I just want it clean."

Explosions going right through you require a very good subwoofer (or two) and efficient speakers that play loud with low power input. Have you heard any of either?

I hope you realize that even at $3k for speakers, there are more than enough reasons to say you haven't spent enough for where you've set your goals. You could spend several times that and not reach those goals in some respects. And "crisp and clean" is hardly a reference for how to pick a speaker. Not many people think they want a speaker that is dirty and soggy. For the most part, most of us think our systems are "crisp and clean" and not many of us have the same components in our systems. So, "crisp and clean" requires a bit more refinement to be workable.

Why don't we try this; what have you listened to and what have you liked? What have you disliked? What was suggested by the shop where you chose the Pioneer TV? Why didn't you just go with that suggestion?

You haven't told us anything about the room these speakers will go into or what set up issues you might face. What have you been listening to up until now? What kind of music and movies do you play? How loud? Do you see why we're having a difficult time helping you? We need lots more information, AJ.

Post Number: 9
This is too complicated. I give! Thanks for all of your opinions. I will make my big decision tomorrow and go out and buy buy buy!

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 10356

A submission hold. OH, NO!!!!!

Wait ...

Wait ...

Yes, ...

Yes, ...

Yes, the Iron Claw does it again!

That's it from here, folks. Tune in next week when Big Chief Wammpum takes on Gorilla Muchugaipan in a steel cage match! G'nite!

Gold Member

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 2117
Oh dear...I feel like I've let him down now...and we didn't even get to the discussion about sources!

:-(

Gold Member

Post Number: 7113
Aaron, you can make your decision in any manner you wish to.

However, I might offer a few words of advice as well.
In 30 years of this hobby, I have bought on impulse, tax return in hand on several occasions. Before this internet thing, the only advise was from dealers, Radio Shack and other people. I have run through so much money, so many componants and so much time to get to where I am now(where am I?), that it really is staggering.
Stop. Now, Stop.

Step back.

Listen to the free experience here and other forums.

You asked for opinions, and have received them, with more to come, no doubt. This isn't advice on speakers or receivers, rather on how to go about putting pieces together without going down the same path that I did.

Silver Member
Username: Stryvn

Post Number: 172
Pay attention, Aaron. THAT is solid, free advice from Nuck.

They've (the regulars here) put in the time and money. Use their experiences. Don't rush...the tunes will still be there.

Gold Member
Username: Stu_pitt

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 1821
Does anyone audition complete systems any more?

Source, amplification, and speakers simultaneously?

Too many people say 'I like brand x speakers. What goes good with them?' 'I like brand y amplification, what goes good with it?'

Brand x speakers didn't power themselves. Brand y amplification wasn't audible without speakers. To complicate matters further, Brand x and y needed source z to produce a signal. If you liked the speakers, chances are very good that you liked what was upstream as well. How do you know you dislike brand x amplification if you liked brand y speakers connected to brand x amplification?

Listen to whole systems. Don't buy a piece without knowing first hand how it sounds with the rest of the system, unless you can audition it at home and be able return it without any loss.

Forget what a stereo is supposed to sound like. Compare what's coming out of the source to the amplifier and finally from the speakers to real world sounds. It doesn't matter if its music or things in movies. Movie effects are a little trickier, but its not rocket science either.

Silver Member
Username: Jaw

Post Number: 104
You're right.

At all costs, drag it all home to your listening room. Then, if something is wrong, you can't blame it on someone else.

And, have fun doing it; it's part of the hobby.

Gold Member

Post Number: 7155
Stu, I am not sure how many posts I have seen looking for info on complete systems.
LoveGas was one(Gas, where art thou?).
Yes, the synergystic approach is , well, beyond reproach, but not often do we see a replacement kit.
The mix and match, looking for magic method is more likely, I think.

I fell into a whole synergistic system myself, but I think that is rare. More likely, one piece at a time is happening.

Check Mike W's profile for the frankensystem.

Silver Member
Username: Hifisoundguy

Post Number: 126
Just get some DCM TFE200's and your be done with looking for speakers. "These speakers are a poor mans B&W 802D's"! http://www.dcmspeakers.com/news/stories/soundmag.htm

Gold Member

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 1822
Guys,

I'm not talking about people who have a system and are looking to improve it, or need to replace a part of it. Some of us here know our systems and know how to mix in other components for a cohesive system. I wasn't refering to these people. I was refering to posts like this -

"...am very new to this all, but excited as hell. I want to get the Pioneer Elite VSX-84TXSi
for my A/V receiver. I am having a hard time matching up speakers. I have $2500-$3000 to spend on speakers. Any suggestions?"

It doesn't appear he has anything yet. How does he know he likes this receiver other than its published features and specs? If he's heard it, how does he know he likes the receiver and not the speakers he heard it with? Has he considered the speakers he heard with it, if in fact he has heard the receiver?

To further complicate the issue, what source was he using when he heard the receiver? How much of the sound he liked was the receiver and not the source? How much of it was the receiver and not the speakers?

Gold Member

Post Number: 7163
OK Stu, you have identified the need for attracting new listeners to coming around to our type of thinking.
To be fully involved, fully aware of synergy, and to gain a greater understanding of how electrics work together.
The musical part of the equation is listener dependant, and some of us can impart the listening part better than others.
Are you proposing a new thread devoted to system synergy?

Hey, man, you identifyed the point very well, are you going to run with it?
If we had a sticky, this could be the one to serve a purpose that is hit-and-miss so far on Ecoustics.

I follow your lead...

Bronze Member

Post Number: 11
Hello all,

I bought the Pioneer with NHTs all around. I am happy.
I realized something in this discussion thread that helped me make a decision.
I am an avid fisher. Its been my hobby for awhile. I started off with a particular type of pole and tackle. Over the years my tastes, collection, and experiences have changed. There are things that I use to do as a fisher that I would never do today.

I can aliken my fishing hobby to this forum. All of you are avid A/V people. I like A/V and wanted something that was nice and would take care my needs for awhile. But this is not my hobby. I am sure that my new system will last me years to come. I wanted expert advice, so I came to all of you, the experts, and was able to make a very informed decision. Will I have buyers remorse, of course, who doesnt. But will I be so unsatisfied with this system within the next 5 years or so that I would have to go out an replace it, No!

Take care guys, and thanks again!

Aaron

Gold Member

Post Number: 7183
Aaron, have fun killing worms.
A fine pastime in itself.
Keep in touch.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1075
Jan,

Dang, I thought I posted a response to your "hi" with some very erudite thoughts for Aaron as well. But, it seems we've run him off with information overload anyway.

Well done Mates, score one for our side. I love it when they don't answer any of our questions and go and do what they wanted to do in the first place anyway. LOL

Wait a second, I did that too, after picking all of your brains, right?

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 10381

Several times, if I remember correctly.

Bronze Member
Username: Balboa13

Jaipur

Post Number: 16
"Of course, one still needs a decent source to get a good result, and we don't know what that is. "

to frank.. hey frank i'm using cheap DAC (sony dvd player) with my PMA denon 500 ae as a source . due to shoestring budget . could you tell me what other source i can use .. with mp3 capability ????

Gold Member

Post Number: 1078
Jan,

LOL, how true, how true. Sad but true, too. If only . . . Emmas vs. Ascends - please just shoot me.

Gold Member

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 2134
vikas,

Not sure actually! It's not something I look at when looking at decent quality sources since MP3 is a pile of poo. No amount of clever maths is going to reconstruct a broken signal like that.

Regards,
Frank.

Gold Member

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 1826
Surprisingly, the Rega Apollo and Saturn will do mp3. I haven't tried it though. It kind of goes against buying a good source.

Maybe Rega's intent in adding it was so people could burn a party mix type CD that could play for a few hours without being changed?

Or, maybe it was a by-product of the software that the CD players run.

Gold Member

Post Number: 7197
Thankfully, the mps logo is not displayed on the face of the Rega players.

It was probably free for Rega, Stu.

When Rega was developing their own chipsets and software for these machines(4-5 years ago), mp3 was not as widespread a scourge as it is today, remember.The firm may have hedged its bets, and the possibility of using these componants in a really cheap box for mass sales was probably necessary, as success of the product was anything but guaranteed.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us