Archive through March 15, 2007

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 4132
Oh and I meant to add that I think that we are hearing the same changes and that we perceive them differently. Perhaps what you consider a positive change I see as negative and perhaps we are talking about the same thing...you know what I mean. Difficult to explain, sorry. Been up since 4 am. We just took Sherlyn's Mother home fromthe hospital today and things aren't lookin' too shiny for her.

Gold Member
Username: Larry_r

Naples, FL

Post Number: 1686
Art: So sorry to read about Sherilyn's mother - and we send hopes for her medical-best. Please forward. . .

We have to consider one thing here, Art - we are dealing with two radically different CD players - and as we know, each has its own sound "fingerprint." So, what changes I hear on my Cambridge probably differ greatly from what you hear on your superior Rega.

Heck - my poor old ears have to strain to hear many sound differences, anyway - so I'm no kind of good judge here. I just remain surprised that you find the Zainoed discs to have an unpleasant sound for you.

I hope you take time to read the linked article listed above - I found it full of all sorts of interesting information.

Meanwhile, I sent out some of my "Insanity Mats" yesterday - six of them to friend Verne and his group in LA. They want very much to do some major testing on the mats, so I'm quite interested in what they have to say - or not! (grin)

I still maintain that I do not hear what many claim to hear with the silicone mat - because my Cambridge upper clamp is free-floating, and held down only with magnets. Thus - no direct connection to frame and electronics, and less chance of vibration transfer. You'd have the same situation, with your three-ball clamping device, I'm sure. . .

One thing that I am happy with, however, is the apparent "grounding" of sound after I applied my rubber sheeting to the player's insides. Must be something to this vibration-is-bad thang, eh?

Respectfully. . .LarryR

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 4143
With minor variations cd players do the same things. So what I'm saying is that I believe that the changes we hear are likely very similar but that our perception of them is different. I know that's what I already said but I believe it to be true.

Thanks a bunch Larry for your well wishes for Reba form both Sherilyn and I. She's at home resting. We will see her later.

Gold Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 1687
Art: God bless Reba - and y'all.

And may we all hear great music. . .

LR

Gold Member
Username: My_rantz

Australia

Post Number: 1193
Our best wishes for Sherilyn's mum also Art.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 4145
Thanks MR. She's doin' better. The well wishes of good folks like yourselves are definitely conveyed and felt. Thanks again.

Over at the tweaks thread....

Gold Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 1734
This thread is languishing!

anyone got some good gossip? (grin)

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 9910

Anna Nichol is in the ground. If that ain't news, I don't know what CNN has been going on about for the last three weeks.

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 6127
Lifting hind leg.

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 9914

How many "hind" legs you got?

Gold Member

Post Number: 6141

wink.

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 9916

Bet people stare in communal showers.

Gold Member

Post Number: 6147
What are those?
I run in the rain.

Silver Member
Username: Sem

New York USA

Post Number: 652
spinning wheel

Gold Member

Post Number: 6186
Hi Sem.
Here for the frivolities?

Silver Member
Username: Sem

New York USA

Post Number: 653
hehe, no. Nothing like that Nuck. Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain. I'm gonna just blame it on jet-lag. Sorry, was trying to make a connection that just wasn't there. Off to sleep for 20 years....

Gold Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 1737
While Sem was sleeping, Larry was listening - finally - to a friend's brand-new Rega Apollo CD player. Went to his house last night, and immediately started drooling.

Here's what he runs in his listening room - the Apollo, a Marantz SR7001 receiver and a set of large Magnaplanar speakers - 3.6 I believe he said.

Anyway - he fired it all up and the sound was just incredible! Actually sorry I heard it, because now I LUST after a pair of those speakers! Never heard such natural, clean sound in my life!

anyway - we played around with the Rega, listening to all sorts of music - and loving it all. Sigh.

I said I want to bring the Cambridge over to his house sometime and see what it sounds like in comparison - which I guess we'll do next week.

Art - I can't say that the Rega alone is responsible for the music I heard - though it must have quite a bit of impact there. So at this point, I'm just rather overwhelmed at the sonic differences between my friend's system and mine.

The Rega is sure fun to play with, though! Seems rock-solid, and I'm a great fan of the top-loading system.

In the end, while I like the "idea" of the Apollo, it was the speakers that overwhelmed me, so my review of the player is obviously colored.

Bottom line: as I have no money to spend, doesn't matter what I love - it's not in the budget. But it's still pretty cool! (grin)

Respectfully. . .LarryR

Gold Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 1738
OOPS - mis-typed on friend's receiver - it is a Marantz SR 8001, not 7001. Sigh.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 4241
I used to own Maggies and am glad I don't still. Wonderfully seductive but woefully innacurate. After listening to live music and comparing Vandersteens to the Maggies I was blown away by how much closer the Vandersteens were to faithfully reproducing the vocals of the artist I had just heard. All other equipment was exactly the same. By themselves Maggies are nice but they don't stand up to scrutiny, at least not to me and that's why I became disenchanted with them.

That said they have a very faithful following and the highest overall customer satisfaction of any speaker. Also the folks at Magnepan are wonderful to work with. Very nice folks who really do know the meaning of service.

Gold Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 1739
Art: Have never heard Vandersteen speakers, and may not have a chance to around here. But the Magnaplanars were so much more "real" sounding to me than my setup - I was just plain amazed!

Sure - it was a combination, I'm sure. Though I'm not sure my friend's receiver is better than my NAD. . .

Sigh - guess I'll go Online and see what I can find out about your Vandersteens, Art.

At this point, I've about decided that I can't hear any of the great differences in sound quality that all of you do - so "upgrading" would be pure folly for me, even if I could afford it. . .

respectfully. . .LarryR

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 4242
If you were interested you can get that Maggie sound pretty inexpensively.

http://www.magnepan.com/model_MMG

Gold Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 1740
Art: Thanx - these are the same Planars that SimplyMcIntosh has in her home. I've not heard them, however. She seems to like them a lot, though I understand she's experimenting with several other speakers at the moment. Haven't seen her smiling face on the Forum for a loonnggg time. Sigh.

I did, indeed, look up your Vandersteen speakers - way too much money for me to ever consider, but they do appear rather interesting in concept.

Yeah - I have a very hard time distinguishing between one cable and another, or even one amp or player and another. Sigh. The differences are, to me, either just too subtle to "get" - or just not there.

However, when my friend fired up his Rega/Marantz/Magnaplanar system - wow! The difference in sound between that and my humble system was overwhelming.
We put on an opera CD and it was just like being in the concert hall. Mer was speechless (most unusual!)

Maybe I can sneak into my friend's house some dark night. . . .naw, I'm too honest for my own good! (grin)

Think I'll go wash some CDs. . .

Respectfully. . .LarryR

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 4255
Peace be unto us.

http://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue29/sardonicus_music.htm

Gold Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 1743
"I need to know about this right now, not later!" It was Mer, commenting on my friend's apparently higher-end system, and whether the Rega player sounded better with the Marantz amp and Magnaplanar speakers than the Cambridge would, if it were plugged into the system.

Well, my friend was happy to accommodate her last evening - even had some nice after-dinner brandy with the "sound test." Hmm. . .

So - we awayed to his house, where his wife and my wife talked of substantive issues while we re-arranged inputs and set up the test.

Because the Marantz allows for a couple of digital inputs, we were able to physically hook up the machines, and only transfer discs and hit a switch to change from Rega to Cambridge.

Same CDs that we'd dealt with before - and when we played them on the Rega, they still sounded so good that I wanted to stay for a third brandy. (grin)

Then we A-Bed and again and again. No, it was NOT double-blind testing - we knew which machine was playing each time.

the results - Mer plainly heard sonic differences, saying that the Rega had less shrillness and more of what she called "instrument presence" than the Cambridge did.

My friend agreed with her, period.

I, on the other hand, had a harder time determining which machine offered the "better" performance. While I did think the Rega was smoother, obviously, my ears are not as attuned as Mer's, or my friend's ears, for that matter.

So - we came home and talked about it - and my take was that the speakers were more important to me than the player - I think. Mer said that was probably true, but that she believed the Rega had a lot of positive difference, as well.

Bottom line: I want to hear my friend's Rega and amp with my B&W speakers - then I may have a better idea whether those Maggies are the key to my sound-happiness with my friend's rig - or whether the Rega is most responsible. Or whether it's just a magical coupling of all elements. Probably. . .

Art - I have no doubt that the Rega is wonderful and much better than my humble Cambridge. Mer says so, therefore it must be true. But I guess that my aging ears don't or can't delineate that well. . .

More anon. . .

Gold Member

Australia

Post Number: 1238
Larry, my opinion would be that the biggest difference is the speakers, next the CDP and then the amp (I'd say your NAD be preferable, but I have not heard the new Marantz). All you really need to do is for your friend to bring his Apollo and hook that to your system. Then you'll be sorry [grin].

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 9948

I'll guess it's the room and the planars will have a tough time in your space, Larry.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 4259
Larry, you should hear the 3.6's with a good amp...makes all the difference.

Gold Member

Post Number: 6222
In a room that makes all the difference.

Gold Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 1744
Jan: Yeah, you're right - I'm about satisfied that any rig I put in this space will have a tough time. Sigh.

Friend and I agreed - he'll bring his REga over tomorrow night, and we'll hook it into the NAD and the B&Ws. But again - the room! Sigh.

Frankly, my wife's liddle $200 all-in-one system is sounding better and better to me! (grin)

Maybe an iPod IS in my future?

Respectfully. . .LarryR

Silver Member
Username: Mike3

Wiley, Tx USA

Post Number: 293
I will have to start watching ABC's "Extreme Make Over: Home Edition" to see if they tear down and rebuild Larry's house with a sound studio of his dreams. Instead of Disney World, they will take him on a world tour with stop overs at Jan's, Nuck's, M.R.'s, and Art's.

He'll return home expecting everything he dreamed of only to find out that Mer's arts and crafts room ended up taking top billing and he ended up with a kick butt sound system for his Toyota / Honda whatever, instead of a media room, plus a lifetime supply of Dawn, Pledge, and Z-14.

Gold Member

Australia

Post Number: 1240
Michael, very

and Larry my friend, you weren't under the impression that there wasn't better audio equipment than what you have were you?

Just kidding - as you know - but, the universal problem for audio enthusiasts is hearing better gear than what we own. It's a real no-no Larry. Unless the wallet has been overstuffed.

Gold Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 1745
Michael: very good! But may hold more than a grain of truth, sir! (grin) And yes, I sometimes sneak out to the garage to listen to a CD on the Honda system. Since putting in the Boston Acoustics speakers - hey, it ain' bad at all!

M.R. - sigh - you were - and were not - kidding! (grin) Unfortunately, Jan is correct: my room, or rather my "open space" is a real problem. I've brought home four different sets of speakers that sounded pretty darned good at the dealer - only to be greatly disappointed here.
I really, really wish I could "love" the B&W speakers, but they have always sounded flat and rather lifeless here - and, of course, Jan's comments re the environment are spot-on.
But there is only so much I can do - or that Mer will let me do - to "tune" the room. Sigh.

I'll be interested to hear what my friend's Rega does here, rather than at his place.
He, BTW, has his rig in what would ordinarily be a large - 14 by 28 feet -(4.27 by 5.5 meters) bedroom.
The walls are drywall, with some hanging Indian rugs here and there. The floor is carpet, and the window has only some "accordian" shades on it. Not really live, but certainly not "dead" either. The furniture is leather - four overstuffed "listening chairs."

I, on the other hand, have my rig in a living room about 10% larger, but with very high, sloped, ceiling, and the room is open to the kitchen, the front hall, and even to my den. About half of the room is carpet - the large hall and kitchen ceramic tile. There are some pictures and a large rug on the living room wall, and one side is all glass. Not "echoy" but not cozy-dead, either.
I've tried all manner of speaker placement - no help. I think the only improvement would come by walling up the room and doing some more sound-absorbing treatments. Obviously NOT in the plans! (grin)

So - this is what my friend comes into with his Rega. And I'll report on what we all hear. . .
BUT - even if the Rega sounds Heavenly - I ain' buying one, M.R.! ! !

Respectfully. . .LarryR

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 9951

" ... the universal problem for audio enthusiasts is hearing better gear than what we own."

The solution is knowing when you're satisfied and what it will take to manage that. If I might suggest, when you get your priorities and references in order and stick to them, you aren't always hearing "gear" that you think is "better". In other words, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Priobably at that point whether the term "enthusiast" then still applies is up for debate. I tend to think enthusiasm is tempered by other motivations, such as wondering how so much stuff can sell for so much money.

Gentlemen-Rankers by Rudyard Kipling, 1892

To the legion of the lost ones, to the cohort of the damned,
To my brethren in their sorrow overseas,
Sings a gentleman of England cleanly bred, machinely crammed,
And a trooper of the Empress, if you please.
Yea, a trooper of the forces who has run his own six horses,
And faith he went the pace and went it blind,
And the world was more than kin while he held the ready tin,
But to-day the Sergeant's something less than kind.
We're poor little lambs who've lost our way, Baa! Baa! Baa!
We're little black sheep who've gone astray, Baa--aa--aa!
Gentlemen-rankers out on the spree,
Damned from here to Eternity,
God ha' mercy on such as we, Baa! Yah! Bah!

Gold Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 1746
Jan: Had the good Rudyard known what would become of his verse - in 1909, at Yale University, the Whiffenpoof singing group was formed. Shortly afterward, they modified Kipling's lyrics, set it to music, and it became "The Whiffenpoof Song."
Every year, 14 seniors are chosen to be the year's Whiffenpoofs - an a capella singing group.
Their trademark song was a-born of Mr. Kipling's verse, and has remained firmly set at Yale ever since.

The only reason I know this is that I just had to do research for a client, and the song's history was included in his graduate paper. Amazing you should bring this up, Jan - I just e-mailed the history and an MP3 performance by the real Whiffenpoofs of 2005. Coincidence, for sure!

Gold Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 1747
P.S. - if you want to hear the "authentic" Whiffenpoof song - you can download it MP3 - here.

http://www.yale.edu/whiffenpoofs/downloads/

Gold Member

Australia

Post Number: 1241
"Gentleman-rankers out on a spree"

"Whiffenpoofs"

Hmm.

Gold Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 1748
M.R. - hey, my client hopes to get a Master's degree out of this - so simmer down there! (double grin)

Whiffenpoof - a mythical fish fawned and sung over in a Victor Herbert musical way back around the turn of the century - the 20th one, that is, er, was.

Ordinarily, the song is, well, "sung," but one jazz artist did a rather amazing job with it: Cal Tjader. Hit the right mood, and swung it gently. Nice.

Usually, you get Perry Como, Mitch Miller or Bing Crosby if you want to find it on CD. Sigh. . .

There's no end of amazing information on the Olde Dawgs thread, M.R. - - -

Respectfully (sorta). . .LarryR

Gold Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 1749
PS (shows you how seriously Master's theses should be taken. . .)

Silver Member
Username: Two_cents

Post Number: 814
Larry, that's interesting info on the Whiffenpoofs. I had a friend who was one. It's kind of an all-star team of male a cappella singers at Yale. Another Yale a cappella group, the Baker's Dozen, has been in the news here, as victims of a homophobic attack, in San Francisco of all places. I believe a cappella groups are covered by the federal Endangered Species Act.

Silver Member

Wiley, Tx USA

Post Number: 294
Got Nuck's interconnects. I will start a thread for us to discuss in A/V Cables, etc.

Gold Member

Post Number: 6232
Where the Woofenpoof is that?!

Gold Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 1750
How I lost a bet and won a cable, by LR.

Well, the Great Test is done. And we're all still friends!

Friend Jerry brought over the rega about 2:30 - said he didn't have anything better to do, and wanted to get it hooked up and hot to trot. Or something. . .

We hooked both the Cambridge and the Rega to the NAD - rather easy to switch, so we thought we had a good "match" there.

I was surprised at his digital cable - never heard of it before - a "Wireworld Starlight 5." He said he bought it for $60 from a friend about a year ago.

Anyway - cleaned both interconnects - and got them set up and warmed up a bit.

We then decided to go through several discs that we both had - an old CD of Miles Davis with "Sketches of Spain," and a new disc we'd both recently bought: Takacz Quartet with Schubert quartets 13 and 14.

I'd asked Jerry NOT to clean his Schubert disc, so we could compare cleaned with un-cleaned ones for sound quality.

Then, about 5 p.m., we started testing. The usual, changing discs from one player to the other, back, and so forth.

After three discs it became apparent to me that the Rega didn't sound anywhere near as good as it did in Jerry's home. Hmm. Rather thin-sounding, and although it sounded somewhat smoother than the Cambridge - not that much better.

Mer allowed as how she could hear some difference, but "not enough to buy the Rega."

Obviously, my setup was not being kind to the Rega! Then Jerry suggested that we exchange digital cables - "just for the heck of it."

I run all Blue Jeans cables - and I know that most audiophiles look down on them - but they seem to do a good job for me.

I bet Jerry that I couldn't hear the difference in cables, and that my Blue Jeans would make his Rega sound even worse. We changed them over.

What happened? Surprised all of us. The Rega sounded BETTER with the Blue Jeans - and the Cambridge sounded BETTER with his Starlight!

Hmm - voo-doo, anyone? I'm thinking that the Blue Jeans knocked the top end off the Rega, and the Starlight warmed up the mid-range. That was Mer's guess. . .

then we tested the Schubert discs on the Rega - and Mer was the "guinea pig." she said there was "no contest" - that the disc that had been Z-14 cleaned sounded much more natural and, well, "clean." Jerry and I agreed readily.

Bottom lines here, guyz: The Rega sounded fuller and cleaner, but rather tinny on my system - until we changed out cables. My Cambridge sounds better now with the Starlight cable.

Was there significant difference between the two machines? Jerry and Mer thought so - but I could not hear that much difference - as usual. Sigh.

For me - neither player could duplicate what we heard with Jerry's Maggies and Marantz amp. So, now I've got to get a new room, new speakers, and probably a Rega. In my dreams, chaps! (double grin)

It wasn't a double-blind test, but it showed us rather conclusively that machines and cables and cleaning and rooms and speakers - all make a difference!

PS - we never considered using the Insanity Mats - maybe later! (grin)

G-nite from Swampville, Dawgs.

respectfully. . .LarryR

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 4263
Good lord please tell me you weren't using the digital cable and out...

Silver Member

Wiley, Tx USA

Post Number: 297
bypass using digital....gasp. Need RCAs, stat.

Gold Member

Australia

Post Number: 1243
"Then Jerry suggested that we exchange digital cables"

I'm sure this is just an error, isnt it Larry?

Larry?

Tell us it ain't so, Larry!

Gold Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 1751
Sorry to say, but Jerry uses a digital cable - said that's what he wanted to compare - so I said OK.

As I didn't have the knowledge to argue with him, well, we went ahead.

BTW - the Rega is toast. He dropped it when trying to remove it from atop the equipment cabinet. He said "it won't fire up" this morning. Sigh. Fortunately, he's got more money than I do.

Gold Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 1752
Guess using digital cables is why there wan't much difference between players, eh? Hmm. . .

Bronze Member
Username: Stryvn

Post Number: 50
"BTW - the Rega is toast. He dropped it..."

I'm sick to my stomach.

My condolences.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 4266
Using the digital cable you wound up comparing your NAD to your Cambridge and the two cables used and that's why it didn't perform well. If he's using the digital cable at home with his Marantz (double gasp!) then he'd be better off just buying a Marantz changer and calling it a day. I'd like to say condolences on dropping the Rega but he really wasn't using it anyway......

Now I can say...just imagine the Maggies with a good amp and CD player!

Gold Member

Post Number: 6244
Lar, you had better post a list of the fine wines or liquers that were hoisted before 'he dropped it'.
OMG, this is a tragedy.

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 9957

"Guess using digital cables is why there wan't much difference between players, eh?"

Moral of the story; half a Rega is better than half a Cambridge.

Gold Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 1753
Jan - very good, actually! (grin) And half a Rega is what he's got. He drove like a nut this ayem to the "East Coast" of Florida, where he got the Rega.
Called to say something about circuit board being broken, and it would have to be sent out for repair.
He said "nutz," and said he'd buy something else that would play "all kinds of discs." Sigh. He is very rich, so the Rega loss just made him shrug.
Wish I could feel that way!

Don't know what he'll get - double sigh.

Yeah - if I'd had my head on half-straight I would have realized about the digital/analog situation. I did not research the Rega very well, so I made the big mistake with the cables.

Art - U R right, of course. My problem is that all this electronic stuff goes over my head. I sometimes even get cables in the wrong slots. Took me 6 months of reading to figger out what "jitter" is - and I'm now working on "DAC" - which flummoxes me to the max, though y'all make it sound so simple Online.

Well - I've got a new digital cable to play with, anyway! Please don't ask me "how much better" it sounds, OK?

Quite a shock in the mail a few minutes ago - a "formal report" on my hearing test last month.
Irreversible nerve damage in the right ear, and basically I can't hear anything above 7-kHz. The left ear is a tad better, but not much.
Mid-Fi, anybody? (grin)

Now I'm going to go study up on DACs. . .

Respectfully. . .LarryR

Gold Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 1755
Assessing the damage: Sigh. Jerry will be coming over this afternoon - to see what he did last night.
I was out of the room when he flipped the Rega off a 5-foot-high shelf and onto what he said was the carpet.
NOT.
He managed to knock the Rega against a lower cabinet, then smash it into one the heavy glass bases on my speaker stands - carving out a big chunk of glass.

I hadn't noticed that last night - probably because Jerry and I had pretty well decimated a bottle of good brandy after dinner. Hmm. . .

Anyway - I'm sure he'll pay for the stand damage, and hopefully will get his Rega repaired, rather than "junking it," as he said he'd do this morning.

I've only known him a few months - a friend of a friend, all that sort of stuff. . and maybe now we'll stay friends? Yeah, well. . . .

Back to cleaning more CDs, Art. . .

LR

Gold Member

Australia

Post Number: 1245
Larry - your audio experiences are becoming more entertaining than the TV soapies [grin]. Hey, take your friend to the church jumble sale - you never know!

Gold Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 1756
Worth the trouble: Yep - Jerry came over late this afternoon - with an apology and a very nice bottle of 15-year old Scotch.
He will buy a new speaker stand - and he wants to work with his dealer to get a better setup in his home.
He will get the Rega repaired - though he says it will take "months." Sigh.
Meanwhile, he has no CD player - and so he says he may shop around for an "interim" player. I think I'll push Cambridge - but not too hard.

The chap he worked with today will go to his home, take stock of what he has, and make recommendations on what to add, subtract, etc.

Good ending to the story? Well, we'll see. . .

Meanwhile, I'm left her polishing up CDs! (grin)

Respectfully. . .LarryR

Gold Member

Post Number: 6255
Larry, the guy needs to get on this, or any other forum for a wide variety of ideas.
Going to the dealer is the correct path, of course, but have him exposed a bit. Ja?

We have acoupla happy listeners here lately, via advise from the members, maybe he has game?

Musical friends are always cool.

Gold Member

Post Number: 6256
I met with my advisor a coupla Saturday's ago, and the guy brought two of his Guitars with him, for me to see.
An SG, an a handmade from(don't remember) in New Jersey, a Carlos Santana hardbody with dual humbuckers.
You gotta love it when you meet other musicheads.

Gold Member
Username: Stu_pitt

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 1600
Nuck,

The cables you sent me were waiting for me on the kitchen table when I got in last night from my last road trip until August (I think anyway). I should be able to have a lot of time next week due to use it or lose it accrued vacation time.

Larry,

I know what you're going through with your room. A very good local dealer dropped by after an install in my neighborhood to evaluate my listening room - a finished attic. We fiddled around with speaker and listening chair placement for about 2 hours. We ended up exactly where we started. His honest advice - a good headphone amp and headphones. Talking about teaching an old dog new tricks!

I'm auditioning a Naim Headline amp and CD5i vs Rega Ear and Apollo sometime next week. Headphones'll be Ultrasone Proline 650. If this works out well, I'll keep the NAD 320BEE and PSBs for entertaining guests and background music.

Gold Member

Post Number: 6258
Stu, Mike and Art have a thread going in acc.

Had to look it up, never been there.

Gold Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 1759
Stu - I'm with you on the headphones - about decided that's the way to go for me, as well. Sigh. But then who would answer the phone? (grin) Who cares?

Gold Member

Post Number: 6269
I have never been a fan of cans, I found them 'constricting'.
Last time to the shop, I picked up a set of Senn's and slipped them on, the amp was a Cary tube, didn't check the player.
It was a Norah Jones recording and the feel really gripped me.
I think the phones add a measure of... 'personalization'.
And isn't that a great reward?

Gold Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 1761
As an old and long-departed Forum-friend would say at this point: "Yep." (miss him!)

Gold Member

Post Number: 6273
"we just lost the nicest guy in rock and roll".

RIP, Brad Delp.

Gold Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 1763
GULP! Been trying to put my thoughts together on this. At lunchtime, doorbell - Jerry and a skinny guy with rings in his nose shows up - want to see my stereo. Huh?
Well - turns out this geeky guy is some sort of stereo guru, and Jerry has "commissioned" him to re-do his entire stereo setup.
Why do they want to see mine? No reason, just want to.
So, I show them around. Mr. nose-rings immediately says for "entry level" listening I've got some good stuff.
But the room. He claps his hands a couple of times and says: "you'll never get good sound here, sir."
Well Shiite Muslims, friends, I guess Jan already told me that! Sigh.

Anyway - Jerry and (can't remember his name) basically wanted to run by me what they have in mind for Jerry.
And Jerry wants me to run it by the Old Dawgs, just to see what you have to say about it.

First - I think Jerry's lost his mind. This guy has him convinced that money is no object (with Jerry, it isn't) and just to create a wonderful "pairing." Huh?

OK, gang: here goes - this is what the two of them want to do.

Keep the Maggies. that's it. Everything else goes.

CD player - (Jerry agreed to have it fixed, then have the store sell it for him used)
A new Rega "Saturn," whatever that is. guess it's the latest, and most expensive. If the Apollo is good, I guess this is "better?" I think $2,200. One small bit of good news for me - Jerry says he has about a dozen "useless" SACDs - he'll give them to me. OK. Why did he buy them? Clerk at Barnes & Noble told him they'd play on any player. Sigh.

No tuner - just an amplifier. I don't know anything about this, but they want to put in a Krell - I think I've got the number right - KAV 400XIS? He says it's a "steal" for just $2,500.

Sigh. My head is spinning. Oh, yes - interconnects and speaker cables - all Kimber, with "Silverstreak" interconnects. They must be expensive - they didn't give a price.

Well - that's it - so now - not for me, but for friend Jerry: WHAT DO YOU THINK OF THIS RIG?

I told him to expect some flack - or not. Heck - don't kill me, I'm only the messenger. . . . . .

Listening on my "entry level" stuff.

Respectful-like. . .LR

Gold Member

Australia

Post Number: 1247
Larry - doesn't your friend want to listen to any of the above - and let his own ears decide?

Anyway, the son of Zeus has got me in his spell also.

See:https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-audio/191743.html

Yeah, yeah. I know!

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 4270
Remember what I said earlier Larry...Magnepan recommends amps that double their power into 4 ohms, those Krells do just that. The Saturn is a mind boggling player. If he gets the cabling right he's on the right track.

Gold Member

Post Number: 6282
Art. I have found doubling of power to be a guideline, but too simplisic as a factor.
Numbers are easy, I suppose the listener feedback is a better guide.
My Classe doubles, but I woner if this is a simple sales number?

BTW, I cranked The Hip today, no holds barred, and wound the speakers to their considerable limits.

Absolutely cranking and smoking.

Then I ran Boston's first album. I had to leave the room.

Gold Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 1764
Welllll - I guess I take that as "it's OK for Jerry to buy this stuff."
Anyway - he read the responses - and says to tell you thanks and that he's already ordered all the stuff.
He says he trusts his "adviser" - so what the heck?

I get some free SACDs out of the deal - plus a new speaker stand - plus a chance to hear a REALLY great stereo system when they get it set up.

Sigh - I'm just fine with discs played on my computer and my liddle Cambridge Soundworks mini-speakers.

Getting too old to fight.

LR

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 4276
Nuck, I'm just telling you what Magnepan says. I believe they say it because it is simple. They want the Maggie owner to use a high current amp and the doubling guideline is a simple way of expressing it. They also tell you to use a sealed sub with no more than a 10 inch driver and a high power amp if you feel the need to use a one.

Gold Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 1765
M.R. - Jerry is one of those guys who says: "if the salesman says its good, it's OK with me.
He never listened to the Rega before he bought it, and the Marantz/Maggie combo was sold to him by a guy who works at a stereo store.
The same guy - it must be said - also said for him to use the digital output from the Apollo! Well, what can I say here? Glad he wasn't my salesman!

Jerry is very rich - was a Navy SEAL, then when he got out of the Service he wanted to teach history - but his father, who owned a very large wholesale plumbing company, got quite sick, and wanted Jerry to step in. He did, and finally sold the business for mega-bucks and retired - first, to Austin, Texas, then here in Flawed-duh! (I think the business was in Texas, but a relative of the wife lives here)

Anyway - his wife (a difficult person) doesn't want to just "listen to music," so their big TV is in the Great Room, and Jerry's rig is in one of the bedrooms.

Now - I guess he's gonna go with Mr. nose-rings, so we'll see what happens.

Meanwhile - life goes on. Sigh.

Gold Member

Post Number: 6289
Art, I dig that.
Magnepan wants to keep the riff-raff out.

Gold Member

Australia

Post Number: 1250
A quick rewind to the original intention of this thead: Basically stereo vs hi-res surround.

The Apollo might cause me to have a rethink. Maybe not, but a man can have two loves, can't he?

Musically of course.

Larry, your friend has ordered some wonderful gear. I'm glad the dealer didn't have a Saturn when I auditoned the Apollo on the weekend - what I don't know won't hurt me. For 2 grand more here, the Saturn would want to transpose me into the bands of our cd's, pour my drinks and cook the meals. I can't see it doing much more for music than the Apollo, though I guess it must.

Silver Member

Wiley, Tx USA

Post Number: 302
M.R. I did have an opportunity to demo the Saturn at a local dealer and on his set up it outperformed the Apollo in that manner which I have heard described, more separation of notes, better bass, etc. They would allow me to trade my Apollo in against it for full refund and an additional $1,400 USD. It sounded about $600 USD better, not $1,400 USD. Actually, the Saturn in their set up did not sound as good as the Apollo in mine.

Gold Member

Australia

Post Number: 1251
Thanks Michael, now I know. For the deal I got, the Apollo is magic. It seems you concur. Do you leave your's turned on? I'm not used to the 'no standy mode'.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 4286
Just leave it on with the display off.

Silver Member

Wiley, Tx USA

Post Number: 303
Display off? Forgot about that...

So M.R., yeah what Art said!

Gold Member

Australia

Post Number: 1254
Interesting - it seems that to turn off the display, a cd needs to be read first and left in the transport. But no worries the dealer said to leave it on unless for long periods.

Gold Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 1768
All: Friend Jerry says his "adviser" is bringing over the new Kimber Silver Streak interconnects tomorrow (Monday) - and he wants to bring them here to compare them with my admittedly old Cobalt Cable inter-nects.

You may remember I got the Cobalts at an estate sale last year - and I guess they're out-moded now. So we'll compare my Blue Jeans, the Cobalts and the Kinber cables on my Cambridge. See if anything shakes out.

Jerry wil be getting the new gear on Wednesday or Thursday, and I'll go over to see what it loks/sounds like at that time. Pretty exciting - but knowing that it's far above anything I can afford.

Maybe I should ask Mr. nose-rings if he thinks the Cobalt inter-nects are any good? Nah - he'll probably diss them, like he did my NAD and Cambridge, as "entry level."
Double sigh.

Guess I'm hopeless. . . .

LR

Gold Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 1770
His name is Jon - pronounced "Yahn" - and he's duh dude "advising" Jerry. OK so far.

Got Jerry here and "Jon" on the long-distance cell phone as we begin our inter-con testing.

Well - at least I was rong in one ting - seems that Jon did what he calls a "pre-burn" of the Kimbers for Jerry. He says he kept them in a circuit for 48 hours non-stop - which he claims is enough. How the heck do I know?

Anyway - had a dickens of a time setting up the Cambridge and NAD so I could quickly switch among three cables. Yuck.

First disc - my ole favorite Miles Davis with Sketches of Spain. CD, not the SACD version.

BJ - (Blue Jeans) - sound was as expected, with rather weak bass and strident highs, according to Mer.

CB - (Cobalt) - sound was about the same, but the highs were smoother.

KC - (Kimber Cable) - Mer said "ouch" as this one was fired up. She claims "squeaky" highs and less low-register.

Second disc - the Takacs Quartet one with Schubert String Quartets 13 & 14 - a much newer disc.

BJ - sound was smoother than the old Davis disc, but still a bit harsh in the high end.

CB - here Mer claims that the instruments are a bit warmer and more natural-sounding. Still a bit on the "thin" side, however.

KC - Mer just shook her head on this one. She says the overtones and high part of the register are magnified, and she just doesn't like it. Says the cello is almost made to disappear.

Well - we talked about it, and at least on the Cambridge, the Kimber's came out last, the Cobalt's first, and the Blue Jeans in the middle.

Not a LOT of difference, but we relied on Mer's superior hearing. Jerry said frankly, he couldn't hear much difference. I agreed on the Kimber's brightness, but couldn't tell between Blue Jeans and Cobalt cables.

Of course - this wasn't double-blind, and done rather quickly and amateurishly, for sure. Now Jerry is concerned about putting the 'spensive cables in his system - but I told him that, with much better gear, he'd probably hear a much different sound from the Kimbers.

Still - we'll do a comparison on his rig, whenever he gets it. Wouldn't it be sad if Jon's hi-priced cables were eclipsed on Jerry's Saturn/Krell by the humble Blue Jeans or Cobalts? Hmm. . .
I know - I'm ready for the "you didn't burn in the Kimbers long enough." Double sigh. . .

Subjectivity - yep - and this test was only for our amazement and amusement - so please, don't anybody get upset by what we found for us, OK?

I just wish I had the money for a Saturn or Apollo!

Respectfully. . .LarryR

Gold Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 1771
Art: you'll probably ask - so I'll add this right now.

The Kimbers "burned in" for about three hours here, and 48 hours at Jon's shop.

My Cambridge and NAD were turned on about six hours before the test began - if that makes any difference.

Both the Cobalts and Blue Jeans have been used for years.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 4289
I'm not surprised with results with the Silver Streaks. I'm either on the road to work or working from 6:00 am to 6:00 pm mon-thurs Larry so I can only post intermittently on those days. I work for the State and so using the internet is really forbidden at all but the lunch hour. Talk with ya later.

Gold Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 1778
As I posted on the Cables thread, I've given in and ordered some BetterCables stuff.
I know the Silver Serpents aren't in youze guyz's league, but then I'm not, either! (grin)

I just keep thinking - with the Cambridge and the NAD and the B&W 705s - the music just HAS to sound better than it does. So what's wrong - aside from the room, as we all know. Sigh.

When "Jon" came over with Jerry, clapped his hands and went around the room making strange sounds I thought he'd just flipped out, but then he dissed the room as "bad null" territory, and I guess he might know what he's talking about?

Jerry says "tomorrow's the day" for his new kit - so we'll see what washes out over there. I hope he's super-happy with all the new stuff - though I still have doubts about those Kimber interconnects!

Gold Member

Post Number: 6328
John(jahn) is listening for the sonic feedback from the room, Lar. Or the decided lack of it, which kills frequency waves that should get to you first, or at least before being overridden by slower ones.
Or he was trying to turn on the lights, assuming you have 'the clapper'.
Or he has the 'clap'.

All viable options at this point.

Gold Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 1782
Nuck: very nice e-mail from "Jon" this evening - in which he said he'd been thinking about my room - and has this "cheap" tweak that he swears will make my sound better. Here goes.

Go to Wal-Mart - buy two el-cheapo bath mats, the ones that are fuzzy with rubber backing, and hang one behind and slightly above each speaker.

He says one of my problems is the sound waves that come from the speakers, bounce off the wall behind my couch, then bounce off the wall behind the speakers, making sound waves that reach my ears at slightly different times. He says that makes distortion, and causes great degradation in sound.

So - I think I remember Jan V. telling me essentially the same thing many, many moons ago. Never hung the rugs/sound treatment - but I probably should have.
Oh, yes - now I remember. I wanted to, but Mer put her size 10 feet down - hard. No, she said - no "junk" on my walls! Hmm. . .as I remember, that ended the discussion. (double grin)

Maybe if I can find a couple of nice Indian rugs. . . .well, we'll see. . . sigh.

Nobody in Swampville has the 'clap' Nuck - we're all WAY too old to even remember what it is/was. (grin)

Gold Member

Post Number: 6332
Larry, that's still good advise on the wall hangings. OK, so fuzzy, rubberbacked rugs ain't makin' the grade, but an el-cheapo trial to see about something better suited.
In fact, hang those beauties on long spikes into the studs, so you can put a bit of air between the rubber and the road.
You will likely be pleased.
Or you will be out $12, and have warm feet in the bathroom forever.

Give it a go?

Sidebar, some Neil Young info.

http://entertainment1.sympatico.msn.ca/Music/Reviews/Articles/NeilYoung

Gold Member

Post Number: 6333
I've posted this before, Lar, but it still works. The basics don't change.

http://www.homecinemachoice.com/articles/hccarticles/interviews/FloydToole/Floyd Toole.php

Gold Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 1786
Where's the bass? That's my "beef" at the moment.

Let me 'splain.

I'm currently changing over from 5 to 2 channel SACD playback. OK - the Cambridge has a setup menu that allows me to choose 5.1, 2-ch, or CD as default playback in the SACD setting.

By choosing 2-ch I ASSUME(?) that I no longer need either the surround or the sub cables? Hep me out here, guyz. . .

Now - as the SACD or 7.1 input on the NAD amp does not allow any bass management by the receiver, how do I set up bass management on the player itself? The Cambridge manual has no clue, and so I need some - both clues and info! (grin)

Art posts on another thread that he just runs mains large and sets his sub crossover. Hmm. . .I think I want to try to keep mains small and the current 80Hz crossover at player/receiver points.

I'm trying to find more info Online, but so far, have not got any definitive answers.

Sigh. No - double sigh here...

Will away to Jerry's house soon for the Big Install. Am very excited, even though it's not my rig!

Respectfully. . .LarryR

Silver Member

Wiley, Tx USA

Post Number: 311
I do not have a manual for the NAD 763 either but I do have a suggestion or two.

Run your SACD at 5.1 into the NAD. Set up the NAD for 2 channel with sub output only. Leave you B&Ws as small. Set your cross over on your receiver at 80Hz and set your sub about 110Hz. You should be able to pick up the SACD layer of your disc with your receiver taking the signal and converting it to L & R with sub output.

Just guessing but I think this will do it for you.

Gold Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 1787
Michael: Just got back from phase I of the Great Jerry setup - and WOW! Ain' nevah herd nuttin like dat before! Just plain amazing! Will post a longer review later.

But to my SACD problem -
OK - if I select 7.1 input on the NAD it does NOT do any bass management - leaves speaker size, crossovers, etc. to the player.

Basically, the NAD runs "clean-through" at this point, so I have to feed it everything.

I've set the player's SACD menu to read: default 2-channel. Front speakers small. Surround off. Sub on. No center channel.

The player automatically sets an 80Hz crossover point for the sub - can't change it.

So right now I'm hearing very good sound from the mains - and the sub works just fine. Leaving it alone for now - don't want to chance messing it up! Actually, I believe the sound is better from the 2-ch layer than the 5.1! And no, it is NOT the CD layer - I have the player set to 2-ch default. Which means, as you know, that it will seek 2-Ch SACD layer first, then go to CD if it doesn't find one. As you know. . .

But my next experiment is to see if the 2-ch. analog outputs of the player will output the SACD 2-ch signal into the regular analog CD inputs on the NAD.

gotta change out cables to do that - which I may do this afternoon. If the player DOES output the 2-ch SACD signal that way, then the NAD WILL have bass management. Sigh - so confusing.

Thanks for all the suggestions/help - I appreciate!

OH, WAIT! As I was readying to final-post I glanced at the Cambridge manual (such as it is) and it does say this: under "speaker setup" - - "click on Downmix and it will switch off the surround soundtrack (5.1 analogue output section) and output a stereo signal from the stereo analogue output."
Guess that answers my question - but I still wonder if the sound there will be as clean??

Respectfully. . .LarryR

Gold Member

Australia

Post Number: 1261
"But my next experiment is to see if the 2-ch. analog outputs of the player will output the SACD 2-ch signal into the regular analog CD inputs on the NAD."

No Larry, this won't work with an SACD signal.

OK - if I select 7.1 input on the NAD it does NOT do any bass management - leaves speaker size, crossovers, etc. to the player.
Basically, the NAD runs "clean-through" at this point, so I have to feed it everything.
I've set the player's SACD menu to read: default 2-channel. Front speakers small. Surround off. Sub on. No center channel.
The player automatically sets an 80Hz crossover point for the sub - can't change it.

So right now I'm hearing very good sound from the mains - and the sub works just fine. Leaving it alone for now - don't want to chance messing it up! Actually, I believe the sound is better from the 2-ch layer than the 5.1! And no, it is NOT the CD layer - I have the player set to 2-ch default.

That's how you do it, Larry - unless you set the speakers to large and experiment with the settings on the sub.

Doesn't the Cambridge allow lower crossover settings than 80hz?

And yes, I agree that the 2 channel will sound better than 5.1 unless the rears are the same size as the mains (and set to the same levels). Especially so if the rear speakers are those little ones with the tweeters ripped out of them [grin].

Guys, the Apollo has made me appreciate redbook cd's in such a way that I don't really have a preference over them or the hi-res surround formats. This machine has really made our music sound so real. I'm yet to compare it with 2 channel sacd on the 3910, but I think it would take quite a high end sacd player to beat it. We'll see.

Gold Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 1790
MR - first, no, the Cambridge doesn't allow any crossover change. I had to call them to even find out what the crossover freq. is!

Yeah (blush) the little "gutted" surrounds sound very, very good with movies and such. In fact, I'm always amazed at what they do put out, bullets and planes flying, explosions, yelps and screams and crowds. Gutted, but not gone! (double grin)
But I never got the hang of surround in music - perhaps if I listened to more pop/rock? Classical will sometimes add "hall" to the mix, but doesn't thrill me.

Want to know - have you tried hybrid SACDs on the Rega? Wonder how the CD layer will sound on it.

Right now, I'm listening to the 2-ch and I swear that I like it better than the full 5.1 mix, even with the surrounds turned way, way down. Something "added" here somehow - don't know.

Will be interested to add the Silver Serpents to the mix - they arrive on Friday.

Respectfully. . .LarryR

Gold Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 1791
MR et all - re the Rega's CD sound?

Well - this morning I'd taken a Rolando Villazon CD over to Jerry's - hoping to hear it when the Saturn/Krell got hooked up.

Yep - they let me listen for a couple of tracks, and, well, with that rig I never wanted to leave the room! I mean, this opera star was THERE!

Now, I've got the same disc on my system, and he sounds sorta nasal and flat. Triple sigh. Maybe I shouldn't have listened over there? (grin)

Oh, well - can't have everything.

Silver Member

Post Number: 815
http://www.wordspy.com/words/hedonictreadmill.asp

Silver Member

Post Number: 816
http://www.wordspy.com/words/miswanting.asp

Gold Member

Australia

Post Number: 1262
Larry, the CD layer on SACD's sound just as good as the redbooks, some are pure DSD recorded, but as good as they are, they aren't really any better than the well recorded redbook discs. Well, see about the 2 channel SACD layer for comparison when I get the chance.

I have jazz, rock and classical hi-res discs that are all speaker 5.1 surround and most really sound quite amazing, others are just so-so. Again, it depends on the recording quality imho.

I think Two Cents is trying to say something :-)

Gold Member

Post Number: 6350
A lottery win, 2 porsche's, 3 Corvettes and the MOAS(Mother of all Stereo's) is all I want.

Screw JC's pencil-neck pshrynks.

Bullshite.

Ask me after I win!

Gold Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 1792
2C is a nudge, but probably a Mensch. But if he doesn't "want," well, he's a noodle.

Gold Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 1794
On Cambridge SACD playback: just got an e-mail from the company, saying that if I set my speakers at "downmix," it switches off the 5.1 surround and outputs the SACD channels from the player with no bass management - so I can set whatever I like on the NAD.

Or - I can continue with my present setup, which on SACD playback is the 2-channel layer, with both mains and sub cables attached only. I seem to get very good sound from that, so will leave well enough alone.

BTW - an old acquaintance in Chicago told me last night that he's been using Silver Serpents in his recording studio for a couple of years - he works at an Ad Agency. He says he's tried other "moderate-priced" cables, but has yet to find any that please him as well. Hmm. . .we'll see if I agree when mine arrive Friday.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 4303
"I can continue with my present setup, which on SACD playback is the 2-channel layer, with both mains and sub cables attached only. I seem to get very good sound from that, so will leave well enough alone."

Excellent!

I have the Silver Serpents from my cable box to the TV and they cleaned up the dialogue a whole bunch. Bettercables builds outstanding video cable.

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 10011

2c - http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/trends/ta10.html
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us