Center Channel Speaker and my X-Fi card

Username: Infiltrator7

Post Number: 1
Hi guys,
I just got an X-Fi Platinum for my computer, and i want to create a "makeshift" 5.1 system using what I alreay have. Currently, I have my stereo hooked up as my rear speakers, and a 2.1 system hooked up as my front speakers. (Both are via the 1/8" mini plugs on the back of the X-Fi). I'm looking to buy a center channel speaker, and I've been eyeing the Infinity Primus C25; My question though is since I assume it uses speaker wire for connetion, can I buy a speaker wire->RCA Cable, then RCA->Mini jack and hook it up to the soundcard in the center channel jack? Or do I need an amplifier or something.... thanks.

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 6835
Andrew, I run the same card, but have no rear side access from inside the case.
I run streo from the headphone out on the front.
Are you using the remote I/O unit via the midi port?

Post Number: 2
I have the I/O unit hooked up on the front, however I'm not using it, i'm using the front,rear, and center outputs on the back of the card.

Post Number: 3
anyone?

Gold Member

Post Number: 6866
Andrew, if you use the line level outputs from the I/O card, you can add a 5 channel amplifier directly.
Like, say, a Rotel rmb985 amp.
The card and software are very good.

Post Number: 4
thanks for the response nuck.

Is the amp necessary though, or will I be able to just directly hook up this new speaker to the soundcard if I buy converter wires? $1000 for the amp is a lot for me....

Btw, I'm somewhat of a noob when it comes to audio so please bear with me. thanks.

Gold Member

Post Number: 6872
No prob, Andrew.
Yes the amp/receiver is necessary.

The output from the I/O is line level and will work extremely well with an outboard amp.

My Rotel suggestion is something that I own, that's why it popped up. Get it for 400 from an auction.

A 5 channel receiver will do fine.
I like H/K, used.

Post Number: 5
I'm using the outputs on the back of the card, in the back of my computer, not the I/O front bay. Right now I'm using the rear and front output jacks, so couldn't I just hook up the center speaker to the center jack without an amp?
I'm asking this because I'm on a tight budget and would prefer to not have to buy an amp. thanks.

Gold Member

Post Number: 6875
You can, sure, but one small mistake with the output of the card means no sound at all, that's why I am steering you to an outboard amp, Andrew.

I dig the budget constraints, this is the best advice I can offer.

Post Number: 6
I see what you're saying. I'll definitely get an amp when I can afford it, but going off to college in a year, I don't have the money to buy a nice amp. I can't wait until I have a nice job and steady income so I can buy some nice equipment. Thanks for all of your advice though, I'll definitely keep it in mind for when I can afford an amp.

Gold Member

Post Number: 6876
Andrew, a receiver will suffiece and get you on your way.
After so many years and mistakes along the way, I forget the days of KD and chicken weiners, I guess.Had lots of those!
A receiver with 5 ch inputs will get you on the go.
Heck,a 2 ch receiver will get you running, I still like H/K.

good luck!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us