AVR 245 Troubleshooting

Silver Member
Username: Tc_skier

Post Number: 153
Just got an HK AVR 245. I've currently got it hooked up just in stereo mode to some brand new wharfedale 9.2's which are 6 ohm speakers. As I push the volume up to about -16 db, the receiver goes into protect mode.

Do the speakers need to be 8 ohm or is there something else I need to look into? The unit is a refurb bought directly from HK through their eBay store. Is it possible the problem wasn't fully fixed?

I paid $330 for it so if this is gonna be a lasting problem I'll be more than happy to return it and pick up a 3480 brand new for $225. That one I know for sure will handle 6 ohm speakers...it's rated 150 watts at 4 ohms and 120 at 8 ohms so 6 ohms wouldn't be a problem for it if that's the culprit. Replies needed ASAP, thanks for the help!

Gold Member
Username: Kano

BC Canada

Post Number: 1171
At 86dB the speakers do require some power, however at -16dB on the volume scale you should be no where near the power limits of the receiver.

My vote is unless there's a frayed wire somewhere in your connections shorting out, you've got a bad unit. While the 245 might have trouble driving these speakers to their full capability, they should be sufficient at normal volume levels which I suspect they'd be reaching with the 245 at -16dB.

Silver Member

Post Number: 154
i just realized that it was on logic 7....i switched that up to 2 channel dolby and it seems fine now...the surround mode is probably the only reason that it went into protect im guessing? lemme know thanks.

Gold Member

BC Canada

Post Number: 1173
Doubt it.

Silver Member
Username: Gamerdude

Ontario Canada

Post Number: 488
So H/k's can run 6 ohms??? I have been wondering for a while even though my speakers are all 8 ohms

Silver Member

Post Number: 155
damn aight ill call them again then. kyle i wouldnt assume they can run 6 ohms yet but well see. ill update as soon as i know whats goin on.

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 6822
Either of the H/K receivers I have run(AVR55 and 65), have powered my 4ohm speakers without issue.
In fact, the speak's dip to 3.2ohms.
A technic's and a Yamaha receiver wouldn't run them at all.

Silver Member

Post Number: 156
aight then the 6 ohm is fine obviously.

i got it cranked up to +10 db (max volume) for about 2 whole minutes today (didnt wanna continue killin the speaks any longer) without any problems at all. so it seems like it just went into protect cause it was in 7 channel mode. nuck do you think that makes sense that it would go into protect with 2 speakers on and it in 7 channel mode? im still waitin to hear back from HK.

Silver Member

Ontario Canada

Post Number: 489
M C I have had mine running surround and only had the fronts pluged in and Mine dnt go into protection(I had other amps running off the preamp section) I think you must has screwed up the wiring. Nuck the AVR 645??? or an older model and how far could you go on the dail before distortion??

Gold Member

BC Canada

Post Number: 1178
M C do you have the surround back channels turned on? I doubt it will make any difference but if you have nothing connected there set the surround backs to None.

Silver Member

Post Number: 157
nope wiring's perfect, double checked everything. im startin to think that for 330 bucks i'd rather try and find a good deal on a 345 or 445 when it comes around. i might just get a return authorization number and send it back in. it must be screwd up somewhere...but back channels are off...wirings perfect....idk. is 330 a lot to pay for a 245 refurb direct from harman on ebay? i mean if a higher level harman is available for like 350 then id rather just do that...

Gold Member

Post Number: 6856
Kyle the AVR65. Older model. It was featuring AC3 at that time.

Silver Member

Ontario Canada

Post Number: 490
I piaded like 1000$ new for a local audio store , I really enjoy it though.

Thats prolly why NUck its older(better built??)

Gold Member

Post Number: 6900
I dunno. It was under a grand at end of the line at Future Shop. I went back 2 days later and it was 1300. The guy said he got heck for mis-pricing it, sold 3.

Still in service, my son ran 2 subs in a box(2 ohm total) with it as well.

Not my first choice, but it lived.

Thus my(perhaps misinformed) opinion on the brand.

It is a mmm...1997?

Silver Member

Ontario Canada

Post Number: 491
The thing sounds like a tank!

THe only grips I have about mine(avr-245)

the s/a noice 100db
and the binding post dont seem to be great like the screw on part

other then that its a great reciever

Gold Member

Post Number: 6914
I like their products, although I know little about the features anymore.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us