Are Yamaha NS-777 good?

Username: Eksine

Post Number: 1
I went to Best Buy and bought the Athena AS-F1 because of excellent user reviews I have heard about them. I know nothing about how speakers are supposed to sound, but to me the AS-F1 sounded horrible & mediocre.

I also noticed the Yamaha NS-555 while at the store and thought they sounded wonderful, but lacked bass. the NS-777 are identical, but have bigger dual 8" woofers so i would think it would have more bass.

has anybody listened to these or know where I can read customer reviews on the Yahmaha NS-777? I am desperate to find any comments people have about this speaker. I cannot find any user comments with Google.

Silver Member
Username: Edison

Glendale, CA US

Post Number: 385
Athena is better - for me.

Bronze Member
Username: Trailerparkking

Grand Rapids, MI

Post Number: 34
I have listened tot hem breifly and thought they sounded quite nice. The thing that REALLY impressed me though was the cabinet finish. They are made by Ymaha's piano factory...... VERY nice!!!!

Silver Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 559
I auditioned the Yamaha along with the Athena ASF-2 at home and I ended up keeping the Athenas. They have better over all sound and detail than the NS777s. The only thing I liked about the Yamah is the piano gloss finish.
cheers

Post Number: 2
Berny you said the athena AS-F2 has better overall sound, can you please tell me how much better? are we talking a lot or a little? I just learned Best Buy is sold out of the AS-F2.

You guys won't beleive this. I have been to every local home theatre store and even an authorized yamaha dealer. nobody stocks the NS777, why? because yamaha was crazy enough to price a dual 8" floorstander with piano finish for such an unheard of price. onlines stores say the stock the 777, but the dealer told me Yamaha manufacturer is complete dry, they are out of stock of pretty much everything. this may be why best buy doesn't carry them anymore.

you can get them for $330 a pair at etronics.com. note to buyers: do not shop at etronics for heavy items. they use a cheap company called DHL Express which is a very cheap shipping company. the carrier drove a very plain boxy looking white truck and when I received my VeloDyne subwoofer the box looked like it had been raped. It was all cur up and marked up and beat up. fortunately only minor dents in the corners or the sub. I can only pray the 150watt amp wasn't damaged internally.

so my 2 top choices just went out the door. still researching....what am I going to do

Post Number: 3
wish I could edit my post. typos:

*stores say the stock the 777= stores say they stock the 777

*It was all cur up and marked = It was all cut up and marked

Bronze Member
Username: Trailerparkking

Grand Rapids, MI

Post Number: 35
Depending on your budget, you could pick up some Kef Q5's for around $650. I beleieve that upstate audio video still has them for that much but I don't know how much shipping would be.

Silver Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 570
Eksine
the sound diffrence is a wide margin, the clarity and detail on the Athenas are much more pronounced. My wife, (not a fan but supports my hobby) really like the way the Yamahas looked but she absolutely can tell that the Athenas sounded "fuller and the voices are more alive" (her words).
cheers
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us