!? Receiver or Speakers - Revised

Gold Member
Username: Arande2

Extreme SQ FTW

Post Number: 2153
Hopefully you read all this...

Now I guess I've been living in the dark...because when I put in a CD (haven't for a while) just now..it sounded much better than I'm used to on my system (although my system is kinda bright). I'm suspecting it's the fact I'm using a better source (CD over MP3) and also the bass is fuller and it sounds more balanced (except the annoying brightness...argh) and the kick drum is strong like I like it (not quite strong enough though).

This is with my receiver set on direct mode so it just plays what it gets. It's pretty bright and it's annoying I will admit..

To fix this...I need to get new speakers (it'd be Studio 60s I'd guess) right? Or if I get a Pioneer Vsx-81txv will that help?

Let me list some Pros and Cons of each route.

Receiver......Pros..........Cons.................
.........Will Get Louder....Weakest Link Speakers
.........Better SQ..........Will Want Better Spks
.........Timbre Matching!...Will Have Extra Rcvr
.........Expansion Room.....Pure Direct Mode= BRIGHT!
.........So Many Abilities!.Might not fix certain things

Speakers........Pros...........Cons...............
...........Better Direct Sq....I think lower SPL?
...........Higher Definition...Show the weakness of receiver
...........There's a lot more of both..........

From looking at that...it seems that I should upgrade what the weaker link is overall? Both are weak links in some way currently...

Receiver..................Mains..................
It's Bright...............They're Bright.........
Only 40watts (in manual).........................

Um...it looks a lot to have to do with Synergy...

Now let's look at some possibilites if I get each.

If I get the receiver...it can use its built in abilities to optimize my speakers...flatting peaks and boosting dips.

If I get the speakers...they'll be naturally ...um...not bright (what's the word?) and flatter and so will not be fatiguing...however they won't match the rear sound...

If I get the receiver...I can boost the volume without fear AND know that when I hear distortion at high levels it's most likely the speakers I'm reaching the limits of and not the amplifier..

If I get the speakers...the bass won't be all distorted...but it'll show the receiver's weaknesses because of the transparencies and will show the weakness of the amplifier because it wants more power.

If I get the receiver...I can use the MCACC and optimize the receiver to different sounds and different spots in the room. This means I can use say Preset A for one chair, B for the other, C for sitting at the computer (right now?), D for sitting on floor during video games, E for Radio...and so on...depending on the uses I use it for.

If I get the speakers, I can't do that can I...but I could move the old Scott in here, hook it to the subwoofer output on the receiver, hook my KLHs to it and use them for sound reinforcement below 60hz maybe?

On the receiver...that brings me to another point. It has Pre-outs! I could bring in my Scott Receiver and use it to power my mains if I like it's sound...that's an idea. I could move the JBL's to the mains position and maybe have the sound I like or use it on the surrounds. The option of Pre-outs and iPod connectivity and all these options seem to make me lean towards the receiver.

On top of that... You can then get XM radio or when my friends come over we can hook their iPod to it instead of having to listen to it through their crappy headphones (ACK!).

Looking at the manuals for my receiver and the Elite has much better specs + it's power consumption is about twice as large (that has to be good..right?).

Overall...the receiver seems to be proving to be the better option for the expandability and improvement it offers over my current receiver compared to speakers over my current speakers.

I'm still interested in hearing your opinions, input, and maybe telling me about things I didn't think about (like distortion..I mean transient, THD, etc... in my current speakers will still be the same if I get a receiver)?

Maybe you read all that...we'll see by how you respond...

Gold Member

Extreme SQ FTW

Post Number: 2159
Yikes, I just took the SPL meter and moved it around the woofer (1ft) and it was 100dB, then the tweeter was pegging it on the 120dB setting! ACK! Is that bright? Or was it just because I was nearfield?

Gold Member

Extreme SQ FTW Missouri

Post Number: 2233
I'll just wait until I can audition.

I am getting a crackle from the all the speakers when I play a CD and trying to find out if it's the DVD Player, the receiver, or speakers. I'll be back once I figure it out.

Gold Member

Extreme SQ FTW Missouri

Post Number: 2242
Oh I figured it out. The connection wasn't secure.

I'm starting to lean toward speakers...but I'm worried the receiver won't be able to drive them correctly.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us