Ordering Outlaw Audio from Canada

Bronze Member
Username: Dmitchell

Post Number: 11
Just got my Outlaw M-2200 monoblock (my first piece of Outlaw gear) delivered by UPS today.

To all us Canadian members of this forum you may be curious about Customs brokerage fees.

The amount due upon delivery for the single monoblock was $110.00. Pretty steep.

Once I get it hooked up to my system I'll post my thoughts on the forum.

Cheers!

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 4350
I've used that amp in a system so I'll be interested to read your impressions.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 12
Thanks Art.

I plan on using it to drive my center channel - A Paradigm CC-370. I find the dialog is sometimes not as crisp and "up front" as I would like it during movies.

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 4352
That's exactly what I did. I drove a CC470 with it. I think it worked very well for that purpose.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 13
OK, I got my Outlaw 2200 hooked up last night to my center channel.

First of all, I was impressed by the weight of the thing. Outlaw lists the weight of it at 18 lbs. It feels solid.

Hooking it up was a breeze. I just used the RCA out for the center channel on my amp and plugged it into the unbalanced jack in the back of the 2200. I used a relatively cheap cable (20 bucks) from FutureShop to connect. Not sure how much difference an expensive cable will make...

Once I fired everything back up again I noticed right away a definite improvement with the dialog while watching TV. Hard to explain, but everything sounded more "spacious". I especially noticed it watching HD shows that were in 5.1. I haven't watched a movie yet with the 2200 driving the center, but I'll hazard to guess that I'll notice a difference. Note that the surround amp providing the signal to the 2200 is nothing spectacular - it's an old Kenwood KW-R1000. But it's not a bad piece of gear.

Is there a break-in period on amps as there are on speakers?

Silver Member
Username: Gamerdude

Ontario Canada

Post Number: 468
I would say there is some break in period but it wouldnt be the same as speakers.

The cables do make a differents alot of people on this forum like http://www.bluejeanscable.com/

good value, great price

So what does the outlaw sound like? warm,soft,agressive?

I am in canada too and I was looking at there stuff. Just wanted to know what they sound like.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 27
Hard to comment on what the sound is like since I'm using it to drive my center channel, which ever really has dialogue going through it. One thing I can say for sure is that it has made a HUGE improvement in watching movies. I'm working my way through the Band of Brothers series and before I would have to constantly be adjusting the volume to hear the dialogue, then turn it down when the heavy sounds like arty or mortars come in.

Just for fun I listened to some music in 5.1 mode so I could hear music through the center, and if anything I would say the Outlaw has a definite edgy, aggressive sound to it.

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 6600
David, have you heard Rotel stuff?
Very similar, I thought.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 28
Never heard Rotel. I'm actually rather new to the hobby, so I'm just sorta experimenting and learning as I go. I see a lot of Rotel stuff on ebay.

Do you recommend it?

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 6610
I recommend the brand to try out, yes.

But try all that you can, of course.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 29
Thanks Nuck. I'm well on my way to trying out as much as I can. Probably buying the NAD C272 next month. I'll add Rotel to my list as well ;-)
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us