Older Mac Integrated Capable of Driving Hungry 4ohm Speakers?

Silver Member
Username: Lovegasoline

NYC, Brooklyn

Post Number: 140
I've yet to write out my desires as far as amplification upgrade, but I have a quick technical question: I've been watching a steady unending stream of McIntosh MA6200 integrated amps for sale. Although I likely wouldn't be able to audition one before buying, its phono/pre/amp may offer an improvement in sound compared to my Yamaha A-700 and although I'm more interested in separates, it could be a cost effective viable interim upgrade ($650-$900). The newer and more powerful McIntosh Integrateds are probably too expensive (even on the used market) for my current budget.

At this point I am driving Polk LSi9 speakers which are not the most efficient design and I understand that idealy they like to see 200w into 400ohms [ speaker efficiency is 88db].

The MA6200, according to the Roger-Russell site specs out at100w/ch at 4 ohms, 75w/ch at 8 ohms, and it appears to be a poor match for the LSi9.

http://www.roger-russell.com/amppre.htm#ma6200

OTOH, some people say to disregard the specifications on McIntosh amps as they will out perform their specifications. But will they out perform to the tune of 100 watts per channel?

----

A separate question:
Regarding the wattage component in amplification...hypothetically assuming there are 3 amps with similar design and similar voicing (150w into 4 ohms, 250w into 4 ohms, 350w into 4 ohms) will the higher output amps yield a noticable difference in sound while driving the Lsi9 speakers?

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 10054

Macs beat their specs. The 6200 is a a nice integrated amp meant to drive reasonable speakers. In my opinion, the Polks are not a reasonable speaker. The 6200 will drive them adequately but you have to decide what "adequately" means for your budget. You can buy a HK stereo receiver which will deliver more current on demand than the 6200, which is what the Polks require for the tightest bass response over the broadest region. On the other hand, the Mac is a better amplifier with a far better power supply and longevity. The better power supply means the Mac will sound smoother overall when driving a dificult load. Part of the answer depends on how loud you want to play your music and what you expect it to sound like. The 6200 has Power Guard which will not allow the amp to go into clipping. It has LED's which indicate when the Power Guard circuit is in play and you will see the lights flash long before you hear clipping. If you want to play your music very loud, the circuit is quite good as you cannot damage your speakers. On the other hand, the PG lights will be telling you to turn down the music if you want the best reproduction. (PG is invisible, so it is not affecting the sound, just limiting the higest peaks lasting microseconds in most cases.) I would tell you the Mac will easily run your speaker to adequate levels for any sane person and sound good doing it, you can take it from there.

You are getting entirely too wrapped up in numbers. Wattage numbers are only imporatnt on paper. Once you try to play a speaker, everything changes. Assuming an amplifier that can drive the Polk load, the amount of "watts" is immaterial in most cases. It is how those watts are made up and how they are delivered. How loud are you going to play and what are you going to play? How big is the room? The final few drum whacks on the Telarc 1812 Overture will drive most five hundred watt amplifiers to their limits if you want realistic sound levels from an 88dB speaker of any sort. The average recording will not come close to those extremes and average levels will be under ten watts, often far less than that. If loud is what you want, then get rid of the Polks and concentrate on speakers that are far easier to drive to realistic levels. If kettle drums at 110dB are not in your future, then the highest wattage amplifier shouldn't make any difference. But, you also have to determine whether any company really builds three amplifiers that are equal in all but wattage. You are asking a theoretical question that has little validity in the real world.

« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us