Question about Harman/Kardon AVR245

Username: Dmitchell

Post Number: 2
I'm looking to replace my current A/V receiver. My listening habits are about 50% HT / 50% stereo music.

I've read a lot of good things about Harman/Kardon, and the AVR245 seems about my price range. My concern is that my current receiver allows me to run A+B speakers together in stereo mode. The AVR245 does not appear to have a B channel for stereo listening. Can I use the surround back channels for attaching my second set of speakers (which are in a different room) for this purpose?

My current system is 5.1, so I would have no use for the back surrounds for HT anyway.

Gold Member
Username: Hawk

Highlands Ranch, CO USA

Post Number: 1214
David:

No, I don't think that will work.

What speakers do you have for your 5.1 system?

Post Number: 3
Somehow I didn't think it would work either.

I have Paradigm Monitor 7's for my fronts, a Paradigm CC-370 center, PSB Alphas for my surrounds and 2 Velodyne vx-10s for my subs. For my speakers in my dining room (for stereo listening) I have a pair of Klipsch Synergy F2s, which I absolutely love.

Gold Member

Highlands Ranch, CO USA

Post Number: 1217
David:

The H/K is a very fine receiver, but a poor match for Paradigms, IMO. I would strongly recommend you check out an NAD T743 or T744, which does have seperate B speaker outputs and is a wonderful match for Paradigm speakers. Your Paradigms are very efficient speakers, so the power of the NAD would work just fine. I have seen a refurb 743 priced at $449 (Spearit Sound), which is only slightly more than the going rate for the H/K. I would also email Kiefs (edh@kiefs.com) for a price on a new 743 or 744.

Silver Member
Username: Serniter

Piscataway, New Jersey USA

Post Number: 126
Hawk, why do you say the HK is a poor match with Paradigms? I recently recommended the 3480 to a friend and he seems keen on getting Paradigm bookshelf speakers.

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 6065
I heard a 3480 and Studio 20 v4's 2 weeks ago and found it agreeable. Didn't catch the source.

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 6066
Srinivas, Nad and Paradigm have been under the same ownership umbrella for a good while. They have worked together(read into that what you will) for 6 years.
They might have synergy.
The group also make the most sympathetic stand that I have 'read' of for the v4.

Maybe?

Silver Member

Post Number: 128
Nuck, when the friend asked for inexpensive amplification, the first thing I said was NAD 320BEE. That dint go down very well with him, so I said how about the 3480?

Gold Member

Highlands Ranch, CO USA

Post Number: 1220
Srinivas:

The sound of the 3480 and the sound of the AVR 245 are very different. I don't dispute that the 3480 will work well with the Paradigms (please recognize that I was responding to a post about a HT receiver), but the AVR line of HT receivers have a much richer, deeper, and more laid back sound than the stereo gear. While I do not find the sound of an H/K HT receiver with Paradigm speakers disagreeable, it does come across as too relaxed and undynamic to my ears; hence, it is not nearly as enjoyable to me as the NAD or a Marantz with those speakers (unfortunately, the Marantz does not have a "B" zone set of speaker outputs either). Unlike some other brands like Rotel, NAD, and Cambridge Audio, H/K does not have a consistent sound charecter across their entire line.

Besides, arguing about the sonic charecter of the H/Ks is a bit beside the point. Our orginal poster needs a receiver with a "B" zone set of speaker outputs.

Silver Member

Post Number: 129
Ah, I did not realize the sound character varied within the HK line. Didn't mean to hijack the thread!

Post Number: 4
Thanks for all your replies. Besides the H/K I was sorta leaning the Yamaha HTR-5960, but from what I read, a "bright" amp such as the Yamaha would not pair well with my Klipschs in the dining room.

What do you guys think?

I do have a Yamaha RX-497 in my gym paired with some old Yamaha NS-30x speakers and a nice set of Tannoys, and I must say it is rather bright like alot of people are saying.

Silver Member
Username: Gamerdude

Ontario Canada

Post Number: 422
I've got the avr-245

Wicked all i can say
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us