New reciever or more speakers?

Silver Member
Username: Shouder

Wisconsin

Post Number: 153
So under the advice of you friendly folk here about 1 1/2 years ago I bought some new speakers. I was urged to build my system slowly so it would be decent.

Currently Im running a 2.1 setup with
Athena AS-B2.2's
sony STR-DE885s reciever
and a Dayton Audio sub

I've decided to make an upgrade. Here is my question,

Should I buy the remaining athena speakers;
the As-C1 for my center
possibly the AS-F1 or F2 for my new front channels
and move the AS-B2's for surrounds
and finish my 5.1 setup.

Or

Should I purchase a nicer reciever and maybe the center for a 3.1 setup so later I could upgrade more easly from the Athena's when im ready. I think Im working with a budget of around $800, I could go over $900-1000 if its REALLY worth my while but, I would prefer to stay closer to $800. Any input would be appreciated. Thankyou ahead of time.

Gold Member
Username: Arande2

400dB could probably d..., SouthWest Mi... Too Many DBs...

Post Number: 1585
This is pretty close to my question so I'm eager for a response (since noone answered me..) .

Bronze Member
Username: Mvanmeter

KY USA

Post Number: 100
a personal opinion.....

put your budget into speakers, finish out your 5.1 system. Your receiver is more than adequate for the time being. Consider upgrading the receiver only with the new Dolby modes are available because your already have the more common dolby 5.1 and DTS decoders built in.

You will go through several receivers before you give up a high quality set of speakers due to age.

Gold Member
Username: Hawk

Highlands Ranch, CO USA

Post Number: 1192
I am a believer of getting a good receiver first. Get a better receiver, and get the center speaker if you can--then add your surround speakers later. You get 90% of a surround system with a 3.1 setup anyways, so you are already largely there. Surrounds are nice, but they are by far the least important part of the HT system. Really good electronics in my mind is the cornerstone to a good HT system.

Gold Member
Username: Arande2

400dB could probably d..., SouthWest Mi... Too Many DBs...

Post Number: 1634
I know that response was to him (ovbiously), but I currently have a Yamaha HTR-5740 and wondered if a sub (4 18" Fi Qs + EP2500 + BFD) or a Pioneer Elite receiver, getting the sub later, would be a better choice. What would the difference be in a VSX-82txs compared to Yammy 5740? (Hjiakcre?)

Gold Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 1943
Tim,

Normally I would say electronics first. However, I think there are two things that affect my decision in this case.

I believe there are going to be some significant advances in the next year or so in this regard. The BluRay/HD-DVD game is really beginning to heat up. We are beginning to see some interest and although sales have been slow, we are seeing some traction build up. These formats will require that any future receivers cope with HDMI 1.3, TrueHD and DTS Master Sound which should be a significant leap in performance over DVD's DTS and DD soundtracks. There are no receivers on the market that do this yet.

Secondly, you aren't getting the benefit of your current receiver anyway. If music is secondary and HT a primary concern, then you really should be enjoying the surround sound home theatre experience.

Therefore, I suggest you complete your speaker installation and consider your receiver options next year or year after once the BluRay/HD-DVD situation has settled.

Regards,
Frank.

Silver Member
Username: Shouder

Wisconsin

Post Number: 154
Thank you all for your imputs.

Martin, you have a great point that speaker tech is slow enough, and speakers last long enough, that I can get by with my athenas for a while.

Hawk, your point that a good 3.1 system is better than an ok 5.1 system is also taken into consideration, and is what my whole building process has been built upon.

Yet, I think im going to have to agree with Frank. If I finish my 5.1 setup now then I can enjoy 5.1 home theatre for a year, year and 1/2. till I decide to or have enough funds lying around to purchase a new reviever. Also in the future i may have a higher budget, and newer tech will be more readily available, and possibly even cheaper. Thankyou all for your imput, It has been helpful.

If there are any more points of view I am more than happy to hear them. I wont be making any purchases for a while yet.

Gold Member
Username: Hawk

Highlands Ranch, CO USA

Post Number: 1193
Tim:

That is a well thought out position. Enjoy!

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 5967
If you can't afford a smashing unit with all the features that Frank brought about, just think of all the units that will be available as trade ins or private sales on good recent stuff that those other guys traded in!
For stereo guys, I see stuff come up all the time, as HT moves further along.

There is some back and forth, but the feauures of an upcoming receiver might free up sommore good used 2channel.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us