Totem Sttaf versus Paradigm Studio 60

Username: Dwayneb

Toronto, ON Canada

Post Number: 1
I realize this isn't a straightforward question, but I'm looking for informed opinions. Based on my reading of the archives, this seems like a reasonable place to start.

I am upgrading my current music-only system (Denon AVR 1603 Receiver; NAD C521BEE CDP; Paradigm Monitor 3 speakers; Paradigm PDR 10 Subwoofer). I plan on keeping the CD player (for now), and adding the "old" speakers (including the subwoofer) and receiver to a growing collection of home theatre equipment: I'm not sure very many other people will have a 1986 13" Toshiba TV anchored to as good a sound system.

I've narrowed down the speaker choice to the Paradigm Studio 60's, and the Totem Sttaf's. These are essentially the same price ($1600 CDN), though they are sold at different dealers, making direct comparison difficult. I do not want a sub-woofer in my new system.

As an amp, I am leaning towards the ARCAM A90 ($2200). Initially, I was considering the NAD 372 (at less than half the price, $950). A simple demonstration showed the superiority of the ARCAM with the Sttaf's, though to be fair, the CD players were also different (the NAD 542 versus the Arcam CD192). The salesman suggested that the difference was primarily the amp (if anyone has thoughts on his conclusion, I would appreciate them). The difference between the Arcam and Nad electronics was striking -- I don't think I've ever been as convinced of the importance of the electronics.

I have listened to both sets of speakers a few times, with the same music. I like them both, though they are clearly different. I doubt one set is unambiguously better for every kind of music. The Paradigm's have more range, and (to me) project a wider, "airier" soundstage. The Totems seemed stronger in the midrange, with a more "focussed" sound. As I do not like "brightness" (part of motivation to upgrade), and am willing to trade off some range for clarity, I think I'm leaning towards the Totems.

So here are my questions:

1) Are there any objective considerations I should take into account in comparing these speakers (e.g., one is better with hardwood floors, bigger rooms, more acoustic music, a greater range of music types, etc.)? I recognize that there is ultimately a lot of subjectivity in the comparison (chocolate versus vanilla).

2) Is the Arcam a good choice of amp for both speakers?

3) Is it worth upgrading to the Hawks, at the expense of buying the NAD instead of the Arcam. In a brief comparison, I couldn't detect much difference between the Hawks and the Sttafs (though it may have been the selection of music).

4) Finally, is it worth upgrading the interconnects: For the speakers, I currently have some not-cheap Monster Z1. For the CDP, I have a cheaper set of monster cable of some kind. Is it worth, for example, buying speaker cable that I could use to bi-wire the totems (or Studio 60s). These expenditures would come at the cost delaying the CD player upgrade.

Thanks for any thoughts you may have on these questions.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us