Great Pre/Pro?

Silver Member
Username: Thecrypt

Lawrence, Kansas

Post Number: 129
Hey I'm looking to find a great Pre/Pro to provide the best video and especially sound quality.

Here's what I currently have (or is coming).
A Direct HDTV Plus DVR and an Ayre De-7x DVD Player (or something like that, and I'll get a blu-ray or HD-dvd when a player that's actually good comes out). My budget = 15k since I expect this to totally completely trash the others. I like some of Ultimate AV's Ultimate Picks. Thanks for helping me out with my HT!

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 9716

Find a McIntosh dealer.

Silver Member
Username: Jethro

Lansing, Mi

Post Number: 162
proceed avp2 for sound quality

Silver Member
Username: Jethro

Lansing, Mi

Post Number: 166
look at the cary cinema 11 as well. I think you would have to sacrifice sound quality slightly while running a 2 channel configuration if you go with an HT pre/pro, but if you do some homework, you should be able to find a unit that can do both ht and stereo very respectably.

Silver Member

Lawrence, Kansas

Post Number: 131
I've done a good amount of reading and wondered how the Lexicon MC-12 or McIntosh MX-135 (heard of the MX-136 coming out this month) would do?

Thanks for your help. I've got two dealers (Accent Sound and AudioPort) which are around 30 miles away and wondered if I should go give these a listen? I can leave within an hour from now if you would recommend I give them a call and come listen and test??

Gold Member
Username: Hawk

Highlands Ranch, CO USA

Post Number: 1168
Jake:

You've got three dealers. Check out the Parasound Halo C-1 at Kief's there in Lawrence. It is a very sweet pre/pro:

http://parasound.com/halo/c1.php

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 5769
Jake, weekdays are best to go and spend some time.
Calling ahead is always advisable.

Silver Member

Lawrence, Kansas

Post Number: 132
You know what's interesting to me? The MartinLogan Factory is right here in Lawrence! I should stop by sometime.

I'm taking off, I'll tell you how auditions of different Pre-Pros/(Amps, kinda) went as I go to these different places. Bye!

Silver Member

Lawrence, Kansas

Post Number: 133
Here I am and the results are in!

I was introduced to the Anthem D2 (loved it as well as the others).

In terms of sound quality (not features yet) and abilities (not features, but ability to make it sound realistic, dynamics, etc.) this is how I rated them.

1.Lexicon MC-12 (Awesome)
2.Anthem D2 (Wow)
3.Parasound C-1 (Still!)
4.McIntosh (Great, but didn't quite get me like the others)

The Lexicon seemed best in the sound quality domain, but the Anthem was up there with it more than I expected (even beat the Parasound). I can safely get rid of the McIntosh as it doesn't provide what I'm looking for (for what I listen to and watch). I think the Parasound and Anthem have a great feature set as well so I'll need to check out the Lexicon as well since I didn't get a good look at it (and the best sound quality...I mean WOW). I'll just have to see which ones fully meet my needs (feature-wise) for now and once I pick one an amplifier is in order...(Now THIS is where I go all drooly over the power and sheer weight etc.)

I'm going to research their features (and compare them to their sound quality to find the best balanced) now as I'm confident one of these shall be in my use now (I'm still impressed by the P2, it's pretty new though).

Silver Member

Lawrence, Kansas

Post Number: 135
Well it turns out the Lexicon MC-12 HD contains just the abilities, sound, and features I require! I'm going to pick up the Balanced version with all the things I need (including the XLR digital input and video support) on Saturday.

Now that that's done I'm going to need help finding power amplifiers for all the speakers? I'll post in the amp section.

Bronze Member
Username: Jaw

Post Number: 90
Good post. Enjoy.

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 3935
The Lexicon is a great product...enjoy!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts