Need a new receiver hk3380 a good idea???

Username: Chicomoralessxm

Dutch islesCaribbean

Post Number: 1
Trying to put together 2 channel setup. Mainly for music on a tight budget, was looking getting the hk3380. which has a pre-out that i can get off amazon.

Unfortnately i'm located in the caribbean good for weather and well more relaxed pace of life, but sucks when wanting to audtion audio equipment and shipping costs.

Would a ht receiver like the pioneer vsx-516 be a alternative?? I wanna use it like 90% for 2channel not sure of its sound quality and if it has a pre-out. But the price looks good lol. I'm mainly looking for a receiver as opposed ot a int amp since i need a receiver. will get a higher end int latter when i can save up something nice. I prefer to get something new just my preference. Any ideas or suggustions of something in the price range and sound quality, power performance of the hk3380. Oh as you would notice guys this is my first post here thanks in advance.

Bronze Member
Username: Audiobuff

Post Number: 29
Definitly dont go with the pioneer for. It sucks as far a sound quality goes.

I Have the HK 3480 and it rocks, its really a great reciever, cant beat it for $199 (refurbished but with full warrenty).

http://www.harmanaudio.com/search_browse/product_detail.asp?urlMaterialNumber=HK %203480-Z

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 5678
While I have to disgree with buff on the SQ of the Pioneer unit(I think it is very good), the deal of the month has to go to the H/K.

scooooooop!

Gold Member

Post Number: 5679
Light one for me, Steve, I can't type your username.

Ganja, baby!

Dutch islesCaribbean

Post Number: 2
Well thanks for the info nuck and audiobuff. Nuck i'll take a drink of some good caribbean 10yrold rum for ya. But dont smoke. I know its hard to believe but not everyone in the caribbean uses splifs. lol

Dutch islesCaribbean

Post Number: 3
Well two further questions guys would the paradigms new monitors titan or mini monitor v5 monitors be better paired with the pioneer or the hk3380. and here is another question I saw i a local store the older pioneer vsx814 it has pr-outs but i'm not sure about its overall quality was looking to get my hands on the vsx815 which i heard good things about any can help me with info on these questions???

Gold Member
Username: Kano

BC Canada

Post Number: 1137
http://www.hsuresearch.com/products/hb-1.html

Buy these speakers so you can tell me how they are.

Chico, as far as your second question there's lots of variables to consider. Do you plan on moving to a 5.1 system in the future? IMO it's best to pick the speakers first and build the system around them. You may prefer the sound of the Paradigms paired with a Yamaha receiver which IMO is the best competitor to the Pioneer units in that entry level price range. If you only need 2 channel the HK's build quality is hard to beat - it will also offer better power reserves and would be better able to drive a wider variety of speakers.

Considering the system might be with you for quite some time, auditioning even in home, while tedious, can be quite worth it to find the sound you enjoy the most at the price you find comfortable.

Dutch islesCaribbean

Post Number: 7
Well i would love the chance to audition at home but it aint feasible due to my location here in the islands. oh nice try on the hsu i find they might sound good based comments but hey they are quite ugly imho! Would not buy them after drink 3pints of rum........not ht for me just 2 channel. I was looking at the pioneer mainly due to price. Excuse my ignorance what do you mean by reserve power??

Gold Member

BC Canada

Post Number: 1139
Most listening on average speakers only requires a handful of watts. Dynamic passages or bass heavy playback can drive the power needs of the speaker a lot higher for short times. Also speakers that are difficult to drive are more suseptible to this.

Basically the HK has lots of power to handle any speakers you want to hook up to it.

If you only want 2 channel, only buy 2 channel, having excess junk in a receiver will only detriment the sound.

Dutch islesCaribbean

Post Number: 8
kano thanks for the input. I had in mind the same thing with all those electronics in a receiver the degrading of sound quality might go down right?? especially in the more 'budget' or well cheaper receivers that i was looking at. i think the rx-v659 yammie might be the exception but i don't wanna excceed 300 for a reciever. I'm pretty much going for the titan v5 or the miniv5 was somewhat curious how these sounded when paired with that receiver the hk. that is. someone was telling the pioneer might be a better pairing just that i cant afford the better offerings with in the pioneer elite range. So iwas looking at the more budget offerings

Gold Member

BC Canada

Post Number: 1140
http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?intatran&1175743653

Dutch islesCaribbean

Post Number: 9
Well thanks for the idea but i'm looking for smething new and need a tuner

Bronze Member

Dutch islesCaribbean

Post Number: 12
Just a question does anyone know about the older model pioneer vsx-d814 is it realiable, the sound quality. Local dealor has one for a good price. Basically what it will cost me to get a hk3380 here. Its and older model so i'm like hmmm?? any thoughts guys

Bronze Member

Dutch islesCaribbean

Post Number: 23
Ok i have seen the light at the end of the tunnel..hope its not a freight train. It appears I can got stuff off audiogon or ebay after not as difficult as I thought. So is this a good idea and price???
http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?miscrcvr&1174898060

Bronze Member
Username: Mrtomasulo

Post Number: 84
That's a good deal but you can get it directly off ebay yourself directly from HK for the same price, and with warranty. (note: make sure the seller is "Harman Direct"... they put t

You should be able to nab one within a week if you start hunting.

There's 2 on ebay right now as a matter of fact. Here's the first one.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Harman-Kardon-HK-3480-Z-AM-FM-Stereo-Receiver-Tuner_W0QQitem Z150089808319QQihZ005QQcategoryZ67799QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I've bought two receivers from Harman this way (3480 and AVR 435). Have absolutely loved them both.

Bronze Member
Username: Mrtomasulo

Post Number: 85
Actually I see the ebay seller name is actually "harmanaudio"

Silver Member
Username: Gamerdude

Ontario Canada

Post Number: 389
Yea the marman would have plenty of power!

Silver Member

Ontario Canada

Post Number: 390
Yea the Harman would have plenty of power!

Gold Member

Post Number: 5783
Ethel Marman?

Bronze Member

Dutch islesCaribbean

Post Number: 24
lol thanks guys!

Silver Member

Ontario Canada

Post Number: 392
Lol Nuck

Bronze Member

Dutch islesCaribbean

Post Number: 54
Ok i did the deed after much deliberation I finally went with the 3380 budget wise lol. rEALLY WAS heading for the Nad720bee but well at least i can get a new cd player with money i saved. ixos?? good idea for interconnects and speaker cable guys??

Oh another question I have not even got all the pieces of my new system yet....but hmmm just wondering what does anyone know about music hall the 25.2a or mavern??? just kinda curious

Bronze Member

Dutch islesCaribbean

Post Number: 55
Ok just ordered my nad525 as well and my paradigm mini's v5 now i need to check out speaker cable. Think asked before but guys any suggustions?? would using some cheap philips cable 12gauge produce same results with my simple set up compared to some cables from ixos or straightwire that i was checking out. or is it simply a matter of my ears or what i think i might be hearing

Silver Member
Username: Serniter

Piscataway, New Jersey USA

Post Number: 130
Now you've asked THE question.

Gold Member

Post Number: 6097
Standard speaker wire rfom Liberty is about the level you might need. Like 50cents a foot.
Way bettern' ripcord and cheap.
I use it. Terminate with sealed spades for easy solid grip.
Or barewire. It matters not when new.

Bronze Member

Dutch islesCaribbean

Post Number: 57
So where you can you find that Nuck? was going to get the ixos xhs 303

Gold Member

Post Number: 6110
Where you are, mano, I do not know.
Just keep an eye out for 14g wire with 1/2 dia insulation in semi rigid polypro, and 11 wire strand.

Cheers!

It's speaker wire Chico, it don't matter all that much.

Bronze Member

Dutch islesCaribbean

Post Number: 58
any one familiar with the musichall mavern???
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us