Bose 901 Speakers

Username: Astglenn

Post Number: 2
OK I been out of this market for a LONG time. I want to build a nice home stereo. I have one Marantz tube preamp and one of the old black faced macintosh tube amps at about 150 watts RMS per side.

Back in the day, the Bose 901 system had pretty good reproduction via the good tube amps. I am completely lost in todays market.

I like various music styles at moderate to high volume when possible. Accurate reproduction is my goal with a system that does not break over when pushed to where the L 6's are humming like a good amp should....

Recommendations are truly appreciated.....

Glenn

Platinum Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 12658
Do you want/prefer the 901? Do you believe that the 901s can give you an accurate reproduction?

There's a lot of argument to be made against the 901, so if possible listen to other speakers that are accessible in your area.

What is your budget?

Post Number: 4
Well. I did at one time. I am guilty of not staying with the advances in sound reproduction. The only other "real" speakers I have been around are huge VOT units in a large home theater.

How are the Paradigm speakers? That is about the only other name I am even familiar with.

Budget is aproximately 2,500.00 for the speaker system. I am only looking at doing two speakers. I would add a sub if that is done with the newer systems.

The main thing is that I want to keep the tube amps. I have been packing these around for many years. They were my fathers. I beat the hell out of his custom Celeston's with them when I was a kid. LOL. Now it's my kids turn I guess.

Thank you Berny. I appreciate any help.

Glenn

Silver Member
Username: Stefanom

Vienna, VA United States

Post Number: 334
What Berny is hinting at is that the 901s are very different from most other speakers on the market, due to the whole direct/reflecting bit.

If you are still interested in that type of sound, but aren't interested in Bose's current products, you might look at some bipolar/omnipolar speakers. Mirage and Def Tech come to mind in that field, and both are easily found at your local Best Buy w/ Magnolia.

Other than that, there are hundreds of options from brands such as B&W, Klipsch, KEF, NHT, Martin Logan, Vienna Acoustics, Sonus Faber, Boston Acoustics, Focal, Polk, just to name a few popular brands. Then there are the internet direct brands....

Bronze Member
Username: Nout

Post Number: 43
If you like the sound of the 901's than why not look for a used pair somewhere?

I heard them ones and was impressed, they're very forgiving speakers, poor recordings did sound pretty nice and the spaciousness remains something very special.

They're not accurate however, you'll not get a pin point sharp stereo image and they tend to make every recording sound the same...which actyually can be very pleasing.

I think they are in their own unique way very musical, because the focus is not on accuracy and detail - which can get in the way of enjoying music in my opinion - but the focus is on creating a (maybe artificial) spacious soundstage and just sounding pleasant.

Stereophile did like them too, though with some reservations.

http://www.stereophile.com/standloudspeakers/425/

Post Number: 5
I did hear some Polk Audio's that I was not impressed with. It could have been factors outside of the speakers. I feel some resistance to the Bose stuff. Is this in the engineering department? I remember the direct reflecting buzz word was big in the day. Sound is such a subjective thing to reason an objective opinion. I know I'm asking for a shot in the dark.I appreciate your assistance.

It sounds like I need to get off my butt and go hear some individual speakers.

For the record, yes, I did like the old 901's. Man that was like 1978 I think. I think the 901's were pretty new then. I could be wrong.

You guys are awesome. thank you.

Post Number: 6
That is funny. What I deemed to be accurate was in fact pretty soft. Well, I did dig the sound. I was hurting my ears pretty well back then with Fender and Randal products, so, maybe I am an inexpensive date at the speaker shop. LOL!

Silver Member
Username: Stefanom

Vienna, VA United States

Post Number: 335
Glenn: The bipolar/omnipolar speakers I mentioned are "direct/reflecting", without the fancy marketing.

And yes, Bose is a curse word on most of these forums. Bose you buddy!

Post Number: 7
I am hip now. I'll icsney with the boseney

Silver Member
Username: Gavdawg

Post Number: 159
the 901 is a love to hate product on many audio forums. If you like the sound, than by all means, go for it :-)

but, better options may exist. If you like the warm sound that the Bose throws out, I would recommend checking out the Mirage lineup. They have a multipolar setup, like the Bose, but IMHO sound much better.

The drivers used in Mirage speakers are higher quality, and to my ears they sound better. This is not to say YOU will like them better though

:-)

www.miragespeakers.com

Silver Member

Post Number: 161
Also, you might want to check out the speakers at www.decware.com

I admit that I know absolutly nothing about them, aside from the fact that they are hand crafted, and the fact that they have reviewed very well...

give Steve a call, the RL-1.5 speakers are a radial design, and have a cylindrical dispersion pattern.

http://www.decware.com/newsite/mainmenu.htm

I repeat, I have no experience with these speakers, but you will be able to speak to the designer, and he will be able to tell you about them first hand. He has built up quite a following around the audiogon community.

Silver Member

Post Number: 162
these were also designed as a mate for a tube amp if I remember correctly :-)

enough with my posts
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us