B&W 601 dented tweeter repair?

Bronze Member
Username: Bdr1117

Michigan USA

Post Number: 14
well i left the covers off my speakers for just a while, and ofcourse my 2 year old son pushed in the tweeter 1st chance he got. should i try to fix it somehow, or leave it, it bugs me to leave it like this...

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 9685

If it is a soft dome tweeter, you can push/pull the dome back in place. If it is a hard dome, you should replace the diaphragm or the whole tweeter.

Gold Member
Username: Arande2

400dB could probably d..., SouthWest Mi... Too Many DBs...

Post Number: 1009
Yeah I once found one of those REALLY strong magnets stuck on mine and dented it was. I pushed and pulled on it a little while and voila.

Gold Member
Username: John_a

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 4617
I found a KEF soft-dome tweeter could be flexed out to normal by being attached to the sticky side of a length of Sellotape. After the dome is pulled out, the tape is removed by being peeled away from one side.

Gold Member
Username: My_rantz

Australia

Post Number: 1081
Unfortunately, the B&W's have an aluminium dome, so the magnet won't work and I doubt the sticky tape will also. You could try suction but don't let anyone see you. I also believe replacement is your only alternative unless you can stand the deformity, though even that would affect the dispersion qualities of the tweeter design I would think.

Bronze Member
Username: Jedi1

Post Number: 27
try using the vacuum cleaner to suck the tweeter.. it work something.. brian you have to be careful man. God Bless.

Gold Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 1884
Brian,

Replace the tweeter. It's a fairly low cost item. The B&W DM601 tweeter is an aluminium item so even if you do manage to suck it out somehow, the tweeter remains creased quite heavily and so it distorts more easily (and just doesn't sound right).

Regards,
Frank.

Bronze Member

Michigan USA

Post Number: 15
ya i think i will have to replace it. i tried using tape, but the hard dome makes it impossible to just pop back out, and it would still be very creased anyway. i could try the vacuum but im pretty sure that would do more harm than good by the sounds of it.

if i replace it, is that something i could do myself, or does it need to go to an authorized b&w store for the job? i dont want to pay $100 just for a stinkin tweeter, maybe ill take it out of the boys piggy bank, j/k, thanks!

Bronze Member

Michigan USA

Post Number: 16
tweeter costs $25, thx guys, problem solved!!!

Gold Member

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 1889
Nice one - did you fit it yourself or did the dealer do it for you?

Regards,
Frank.

Silver Member
Username: Gavdawg

Post Number: 130
why would you vacuum a tweeter? that is one of the most bizarre fix-its I have ever heard of.

but, can it work?

I see that as doing an insane amount of damage, and if you have a strong vacuum like a Kirby, that it may vacuum the diaphragm right off.

I am ignorant on the subject of driver repair :-)

Bronze Member

Michigan USA

Post Number: 17
dealer got the part, i guess i will be fixing it once i pick it up, hope it goes well...

Gold Member

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 1892
He should fit it for you, if you can be bothered to take in the speaker and if he's any good...
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us