Paradigm/Focal

Bronze Member
Username: Patrickbateman

MA

Post Number: 48
I recently heard the Paradigm Studio 20v4 and the Focal 806v at two different dealers. I really liked both of them and I was hoping to get some feedback. Has anyone here heard these speakers and if so what were your thoughts on them? I will be running them off of either a Marantz 7001 or a NAD 744

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 5470
PB, did you have a chance to hear the Focal 716?

Did you hear the Paradigm 20v3?
If so, how do you rate the v4, and what gear did you check the v4 with?

Good to see you again, BTW.

Gold Member
Username: Hawk

Highlands Ranch, CO USA

Post Number: 1086
Patrick:

Those are both fine speakers. I would note that the Focals are much more forward in their presentation than are the Paradigms, so it really boils down to which you prefer. I don't think you will go wrong with either one, especially with one of those two receivers you mentioned.

One caveat, however. I am hearing from friends that the new Marantz line (7001, etc.) is not as good as the last generation. I have not confirmed this, but make sure you listen to it before you buy it. You may well find that it is just what you want. The 744, on the other hand, is even better than the 743 it replaces.

Good luck!

Gold Member

Post Number: 5481
I would be hard pressed between the Marantz and the Nad.

I wanna hear what Patrick thinks.

Bronze Member
Username: Manc

Post Number: 27
Patrick,

Why a 7001 or 744 surely you can go higher up the NAD line or am I missing something?

Gold Member

Post Number: 5483
Like Pat's money?

Bronze Member
Username: Manc

Post Number: 29
Ain't that the truth.

But not always.....

Bronze Member

MA

Post Number: 49
Well I heard the 20v4's off of Anthem gear at a small dealer. The sound was, quoting Borat, "very nice". I compared them to the Energy RC 50's and much preferred the Paradigm's.
I then heard the Focal 806v at Tweeter run off of a Pio elite in a giant, untreated room. They still sounded great and they were clearly superior to the Polk LSI9 that has a pretty good following.

Bronze Member
Username: Nout

Post Number: 34
One caveat, however. I am hearing from friends that the new Marantz line (7001, etc.) is not as good as the last generation.

A matter of taste I suppose, I have heard that the new PM7001 has more similarities with the Marantz PM6010 series, the OSE version and KI version as well.
Especially the PM6010KI was more rock orientated, not as refined as the PM7200 and PM8000...all from what I have heard saying...I never auditioned anything else than my own faithfull PM7200 and the PM6010KI just once.

Bronze Member

MA

Post Number: 50
The other day I brought home the Focal 806v's. I have Monitor Audio Silver S2's at home, and I have been having some fun. When I auditioned the Focal's at the store, they seemed much more forward sounding, which I like. At home compared to the s2's, they seem much more laid back.

Gold Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 1925
I suggest you go heavier on the electronics and lighter on the speakers. e.g. NAD 754 into Focal 716Vs. The result will most likely be better.

Regards,
Frank.

Bronze Member

MA

Post Number: 51
Frank,
How are the new NAD receivers? I havent heard much about them.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us