Help me out please

Bronze Member
Username: Thecrypt

Lawrence, Kansas

Post Number: 77
Hi, I'm putting together a surround system for our master bedroom and I wondered if you could help me out I'd appreciate it. I'm not quite sure what I need, but if you can ask questions I can answer them.

Thanks a lot!

Bronze Member

Lawrence, Kansas

Post Number: 78
I can tell you that I plan for it to be one of the zones of a whole-house system I'm going to fit together if that's helpful to you. I plan to use a computer that I'm going to get for my main system and use it as the hub of the zone (DVDs, internet, TV, games, and whatever) until I get the main system. Is it even possible to use one central hub as the center of a whole-house multiple home theater (some just some stereo) system? Well, that doesn't quite matter until later.

Thanks for suggestions! Just ask questions!

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 5389
Jake, do you need multi-zone, or would you be happy with an audiophile stereo for the bedroom? For under 1k(bedroom)?

Bronze Member

Lawrence, Kansas

Post Number: 79
Now that I think about it, I would prefer to have a separate system in each room of the house.

I would be happy with either a (audiphile?) surround system or an audiophile stereo system in the bedroom. Nah, I can spend more. I don't whether I should do separates or an all-in-one. You can recommend things because I'm looking for a nice system in the bedroom. I like full audio extension, of course, and I like to be able to turn it up when I can.

It'll be a 60/40 music/moves probabably. I've heard what I need is flat response.

Thanks for recommendations! Just ask questions!

Gold Member

Post Number: 5391
Jake, a T-amp with a cdp and a pair of speakers will fill out the boudoir. For like 500$.

Now about the big room...

Gold Member

Post Number: 5392
Or less, if you have a pc in the room.

Bronze Member

Lawrence, Kansas

Post Number: 80
T-amp? CDP?

Gold Member

Post Number: 5395
OK, Jake, am I correct in assuming that you are new to audio? At least as it applies now?

Gold Member

Post Number: 5396
Please hold on tight, the rest of the group will be along shortly.
You have to give specifics, room size, layout, your listening preferences(loud rock, smooth jazz, classical, etc.) your expectations, hopes and desires, etc.

Welcome to ecoustics!

Bronze Member

Lawrence, Kansas

Post Number: 81
Well, yes it applies now.

Bronze Member

Lawrence, Kansas

Post Number: 82
Whoo! Well, here I go!

Our master bedroom is 19x25x11, what exactly do you mean by layout? I like loud rock, Jazz, and about anything with a powerful deep bassline.

I expect the system to sound great, be able to reach high volumes, be able to get down to 20hz at 100dB or greater, and have a full balanced sound.

I want a good system that I can listen to at night while I read in the bed, but I can turn it up plenty loud during the day. I like a really musical system. I hope that covers it! I expect my tastes to change with time.

Thanks for recommendations and help with the bedroom system!

Platinum Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 12477
Budget?

Bronze Member

Lawrence, Kansas

Post Number: 83
Um, I'd say it depends on what's out there because I'm not too sure what things out there cost. I need to know what's out there before I can specify a budget.

Gold Member

Post Number: 5399
Jake, it can run from $500 to $5000.
You have to be commited to a hard dollar figure.
The options, hoeever, can run a much wider gamut...most do not start at $500.

Bronze Member

Lawrence, Kansas

Post Number: 84
I guess we can start with a budget of $5000 and decide what to spend it toward.

Thanks for your help!

Gold Member

Post Number: 5400
Jake, this could be a once in a lifetime purchase, if you do it right,
Are you ready for this kind of commitment?
You have to look at how much music(stereo or dvd-a or cscd) listening you do.

Bronze Member

Lawrence, Kansas

Post Number: 85
I'm listening to music most of the time when I'm awake! I only have the radio to listen to right now.

Bronze Member

Lawrence, Kansas

Post Number: 86
You know what? I think I'd rather start with the center of the system and work out! The HT room is currently being built right now. In fact, they just finished the "floating floor" and now they're going to work on the walls. They said their goal was to build it to something called an "STC" rating of 70 and an "NC" rating of 15 or less, whatever those are? They said it had to do with keeping the sound in the room and sound outside out and keeping it quiet in there.
They said they're using specific materials to minimize booming bass. It should be done by the end of the month, then we can acoustically treat it and add all the components and everything!

So, I need help finding all the things I need in the audio part! Thanks for help! I'll think about budget.

Gold Member

Post Number: 5402
Jake, have your builder come here instead of you.

Bronze Member

Lawrence, Kansas

Post Number: 87
Alright, just a minute. Is it alright if it's just someone from the construction crew?

Gold Member

Post Number: 5404
yup. And you, cause you pay the bills.

Bronze Member

Lawrence, Kansas

Post Number: 88
Ok we're both here.

Bronze Member

Lawrence, Kansas

Post Number: 89
Keep in mind he only has half an hour since it's getting dark and their hours end in half an hour.

Gold Member

Post Number: 5406
Build the room with uneven dimensions, but 1:3 corners.

No 1:2:3 dimensions.

What is the ceiling height?

Bronze Member

Lawrence, Kansas

Post Number: 90
We plan to make the height of the ceiling 12 feet.

Bronze Member

Lawrence, Kansas

Post Number: 91
Yes, we must avoid standing waves and annoying reflections.

Gold Member

Post Number: 5407
A 12' height would naturally make a 24' width, for the waves that you mention.
That maes a 1:2, the breadth of the room should stagger a bit. That is a big room, I might try to shorten it a bit, 22' if possible.

Jake, you really might want to look at an Infinate Baffle sub in this new room. Have you seen that?
It would also lighten up your dimensions a bit.

Here is a link

https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-audio/302714.html

worth a look for a new build.

Gold Member

Post Number: 5408
Sorry Jake, this is the one I meant...

https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-audio/297868.html

Bronze Member

Lawrence, Kansas

Post Number: 92
Thanks for the suggestion, Nuck. You know a good bit about home theater rooms. Maybe you can help us out when we're back. I have to go now, as I have a family to come home to. I intend to be back monday though. Ok Im leaving it up to jake.

Ok, he's off to the truck and the rest of the crew loaded stuff up while he talked to you.

What in the world are standing waves and what are 1:3 corners? Yeah I'm definitely into heavy bass as deep as I can get with low distortion and all that good stuff, especially in the main system.

Bronze Member

Lawrence, Kansas

Post Number: 93
Oh, so an infinite baffle subwoofer is a subwoofer that is in the wall with a large enclosure behind it? Hmm, this looks like it'd be a fine choice for what I'm looking for, deep, deep, loud, clean bass that'll put you right where you belong, in the movie or watching that band play live.

Thanks man I'm going to google infinite baffle subwoofer. I think you may have improved my ht experience a LOT...Thank you Nuck.

Gold Member

Post Number: 5412
Jake,(or Jakes builder), I don't know nothing but wht I learned here, Those links I sent will go a long ways, I figgur.

Check out the IB sub for a new build, it can be finished at any time.
It frees up a lot of square dims in a listening room.

Good luck!

Let us know?

Bronze Member

Lawrence, Kansas

Post Number: 94
I will.

Bronze Member

Lawrence, Kansas

Post Number: 95
Do you think 12 18's will do the job?

Bronze Member

Lawrence, Kansas

Post Number: 99
Well, nevermind about that for now. I beleive best to start with the heart of the system, or the processor. Well, actually. Nuck, what do you think I should be looking at to start with? I know it should be things to do during construction.

Gold Member
Username: Stu_pitt

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 1565
Jake,
Room acoustics are a tricky thing (for me at least). You may want to read a little bit from the following links -

http://www.rivesaudio.com/

Rives is a very well respected name in room acoustics. Their site is a little difficult, but somewhere in there, they've got a great room simulator that shows standing waves, etc.

http://www.cardas.com/content.php?area=insights&content_id=26&pagestring=Room+Se tup

Not as thourough, but has some other links and pages within the site. Also a well respected company.

Gold Member

Post Number: 5434
Jake, I'm with Stu.
Room acoustics are a somewhat dry read, for me.
I'm also not very smart.

However, I have been in some pretty good rooms, the layout and treatment are not always big panels on the walls and big bass traps in the corners.

JV hit it right.
'Room treatments are just not sexy enough'.
The room doesn't DO anything, no lights, no volume, nothing substantive to lay your hands upon.

But the absolute most important part of the setup.

Getting it right in the building stage is a huge benefit.

I really like that link for the Infinite Baffle sub.

Silver Member

Lawrence, Kansas

Post Number: 102
Sorry for not talking, I'm still here, I've just been doing a lot of reading.

Gold Member

Post Number: 5486
And petting the silver turtle.

Silver Member
Username: Arande2

400dB could probably d..., SouthWest Mi... Too Many DBs...

Post Number: 925
Jake, may I suggest using drivers from TC Sounds?
Particularly this one.
http://www.tcsounds.com/lms5400.htm

Silver Member

Lawrence, Kansas

Post Number: 103
That driver looks perfect for what I'm planning on!

I'll have to plan it out with the builders though.

I'm going to take off and stop by Panera, then I'm going to grab my new Home Theater Comp. that I'm going to use in my setup! I'll tell you all about it in the desktops section and probably others as well when I get it hooked up.

Gold Member

Post Number: 5491
Holy heck, that is heavier than my automobile!

Ay Carumba!

Gold Member

Post Number: 5492
Jake, get lots of memory and just say no to MP3!

Silver Member

Lawrence, Kansas

Post Number: 104
Sorry, while I was out I let him finish programming it (when I was at Panera and did some work around town) and now I've got it... My Dream Home Theater Comp!

You know I'm excited to hook it up and move out this old honker and use this HT comp. until it's ready to be installed in the main attraction...it's fully built for it! WOW I haven't been this excited in a while I'm all jumpy...!!!!

I'm going to describe it (The thing is jam packed!) and everything in the computers section (probably copy it to others as well) before I actually put it in. I got around 50% off, which I'm really happy about. I can say that it is within my original Home Theater Computer Budget which I'm VERY happy about. Ok, off I go!

Silver Member

Lawrence, Kansas

Post Number: 106
Ok I've put it in now. I'm going to unhook this comp and turn the other one on as Bill already got it up and running for me! I still have to put the settings to my liking though.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us