Bad luck with Onk 604, Pioneer 1016 may be going back

Username: Gump619

San Diego, CA USA

Post Number: 1
Hello everyone. I recently upgraded from a Sony DAV-FC9 surround sound in a box setup, but only the receiver. I was tired of switching component cables and optical cables between my different devices. The first receiver I picked after much research was the Onkyo 604 which I really wished would have worked for me. I went through two of them and each one displayed wavy/fuzzy lines on the screen with component inputs. I did any combination of troubleshooting possible except hook the receiver up to another TV. I got a Pioneer VSX-1016TXV the other day and honestly I think even the audio sounds better IMO. The video is crystal clear now as well.
The problem I have now, is that I found out the HDMI ports only pass the audio through and doesn't send anything to the speakers. I was looking forward to listening to 5.1 PCM from Blackhawk Down. I guess my question is: Are the sound formats via HDMI worth spending another ~$150 for at this point over what I get through optical?

My current devices:
Panasonic 42" Plasma
Pioneer 1016
Nintendo Wii (comp)
Xbox 360 w/HD-DVD (comp)
HD-DVR Cable (comp)
PS3 (hdmi)

The PS3/Bluray is all I would be using the HDMI audio with, but I'm just thinking right now if I upgrade to a Denon AVR887 it's around $150 more. If I wait to upgrade again down the road I'll end up spending much more.

Sorry for the long post but I've been through all kinds of heck messing with this stuff. If anyone can suggest another 7.1 receiver that grabs HDMI audio besides the Denon for max $700 that would be great too. Thanks much,

Gump

Bronze Member
Username: Hodedofome

TX USA

Post Number: 26
If you don't mind factory refurbished with a warranty from a really good brand... http://www.accessories4less.com/cgi-bin/item/MARSR4001

Here is a new unit http://www.onecall.com/ProductDetails.aspx?id=34676

Only you can decide if you really like (or can tell a difference) in the new Dolby True HD and other formats.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us