Hmm What to do?

Silver Member
Username: Arande2

400dB could probably d..., 4000 isnt ev... 100,000dB FU...

Post Number: 561
Well, I have a pair of JBL 4311 Studio Control Monitors and a Scott stereo receiver. I wondered if it would be a good improvement if I were to hook them into our home theater and hook the pre-amp outputs for rear speakers into the inputs of my stereo receiver and run all the surrounds off of the Scott (It's designed for use with 2 or 4 speakers) for increased surround ambience.

I used to have the surround speakers hooked on the stereo receiver before we got the home theater receiver and main speakers we have now, so I know that they will all sound correct together. Thanks guys for your thoughts and recommendations on that. The Scott is 60 w/chan RMS into 8 ohms. Just ask questions if you need to!

Silver Member

Post Number: 564
Well I'm hoping to hook it up tonight unless anyone has any objections.

Silver Member

Post Number: 590
Bump a dump a lump

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 9595

Whajja gonna do with the extra cables now?

Silver Member

Post Number: 600
Lol um I won't have any extra cables. If you're joking then I'm going to blow them up with my toes.

I just want to know if it'll increase the surround ambience and make for more realistic surround effects. I also have the option as using them as extra mains off of the main A/V receiver without even using the Scott.

Thanks for suggestions.

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 9597

If the receiver has as many rear speakers connected as it can handle, then, no, you won't increase "ambience". In other words, if the system is a 5.1 surround system with all speakers driven, adding more surround speakers will only get in the way of the surround system's steering mechanisms. If the system can support 7.1 and you have a 5.1 speaker set up, you will gain some by adding more speakers to the rear. But the 4311 isn't my choice for a surround speaker unless you have 4311's in all other locations.

There is no reason to add more front speakers to do anything unless the fronts will be matched pairs and you want to stack four 4311's together, driven off two channels. Make certain the amp can handle the load if you try this.

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 5173
You would get more(and more controlable) use of the rears, Andre.
Give it a go.

Silver Member

Post Number: 606
Thanks both Nuck and Jan.
I'll try the rears first and if that doesn't sound good I'll try fronts. If that doesn't sound good then I'll...oh yeah I forgot! my receiver also has a rear center preamp out. Maybe I could use that and the 4311's can serve as the rear surround channel side-by-side.

I also have this pair of Bose (yeah, Bose) computer speakers that extend down to about 60hz before that go kaput. Would those help out as well?

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 9602

Sure! You got a '55 Buick with a radio you can pull in the room?

Silver Member

Post Number: 608
LOL Jan.

Seriously, most surround speakers never have to handle much power or bass anyway, unless they're being used for music (6ch stereo or something).

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 9606

This is a case where someone asks a question and I know whatever answer I give that person is going to do what they wanted in the first place. Go ahead and make the connection and let us know what happens.

Silver Member

Post Number: 610
Yeah, you're right. I will do that, just that. Last time I hooked up the Bose in the system (2 years ago before I had a home theater, just the old Scott and 4311's) they worked pretty well for providing a rear sound to fill the room more.
Now, I can see what it sounds like with a subwoofer and 5 other speakers not including the 4311's.

I used to have one 4311 hooked up to the receiver's surround back speaker connection but couldn't use the other for more headroom I guess it would be because I didn't know about the preamp out.

Anyway I'll let you know what happens. I will.

Gold Member

Post Number: 5178
I know.

Gold Member

Post Number: 5179
Andre,I misunderstood. If you were taking ch 4&5 pre-outs to the receiver for the rears, then OK.
But it looks like Frankenstereo is alive.

Silver Member

Post Number: 615
Lol I'm going to use a y-splitter and use two 4311's for the rear channel and give each their own amplifier channel.

The Bose will serve as extra surrounds.

If that doesn't sound right I'll use the JBL's as mains or L/R rears. I'll have to experiment.

Silver Member

Post Number: 627
I decided to use the JBL's as L/R, kept the mains where they are, moved the old surrounds to surround backs run off the Scott (they're the only speakers powered by the Scott), and I kept the center where it is.

The Bose computer speakers were put into duty in my bedroom and I'm surprised at how good they sound. But I barely had to turn the subwoofer on when it was in there and everything shook. I guess it's the size of the room making the Boses sound good.

The sound of the system got much better, much better and more realistic. I was extremely um...happy?...that I was able to imrpove it so much.

Thanks for your suggestions those of you that had them. It's a 6.1, which I never told you.

I then set all speaker crossovers, distances, levels, and phasing, tones, etc in the receiver.

I angled all the speakers until the field around me was as realistic as I could get while my dad listened to the live performance we were watching.
I angled and positioned the mains, the center, the subwoofer, and all 4 surrounds. The surround back channel took to most but we got it.

I'm very happy with the result! I can't wait to get another subwoofer and probably a more powerful amp or something. Maybe I should upgrade the weakest links that I have right now (the back surrounds and Dvd player).
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us