2 channel or 4 for listening to music

Username: Kompressor

B.C. Canada

Post Number: 2
I thinking of buying some rear speakers for mostly music and some home theater use. I have Totem Sttaf speakers for mains, Paradigm ps 1000 sub with a H/K avr 445 receiver. Would rears add to the music expieience? My H/K receiver can deliver the same left and right analog signal to the rears as it does to the mains.

Gold Member
Username: John_a

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 4611
What is the source, Steve?

This thread started with a similar question, and the jury is still out after two-and-a-half years: DVD-Audio & SACD > Teaching an old dog new tricks... > Archive through May 23, 2004

You might find that first page useful, however.

B.C. Canada

Post Number: 3
Thanks John for that link. When you ask about the source are you meaning CD, DVD etc? If so I listen to CD's. I don't own any DVD's at present. I think I'm going to stay with just the mains for now, music sounds wounderful and movies arn't bad either. I just don't want to spend a lot of money on more speakers if it doesn't add to the musical experience.

Gold Member
Username: John_a

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 4612
Steve,

I see, thanks. Cd is two-channel, stereo. So there is not much to be gained from having surround sound. There is Prologic and other ways to hack it, but these come at a price. Multichannel DVDs often have something like 5.1 surround sound, where ".1" is the subwoofer. Ideally, each channel has its own speaker.

Gold Member
Username: Petergalbraith

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 2000
For CDs, stay with two speakers. If the sound appears to come from th speakers (and not from individually placed instruments), then the speakers need help imaging but adding speakers isnet the answer. Experiment with speaker placement, room treatments and perhaps different speakers altogether.

Bronze Member

B.C. Canada

Post Number: 20
Thanks John & Peter. For imaging reasons alone I'm going to stay with front speakers for stereo. If I want to improve the movie experience I might add rears later.

Gold Member

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 2001
Good man.

The first step to the movie sound experience is adding a sub for action movies. That makes a bigger impact than surround effects in my opinion.

Bronze Member

B.C. Canada

Post Number: 21
My set up includes a Paradigm PS 1000 sub. Movies do sound quite good. I use to run the sub with all Yamaha speakers(rears,mains & center) and a Yamaha AV receiver, the H/K with just Totems and the sub is far better.

Bronze Member
Username: Tc_skier

Post Number: 68
to add on a question here with how many channels to use...im buying a system just for music, and all my music comes off my ipod, verry few cd's. i was looking at the h/k avr 245 which can be setup for 65 WPC in stereo mode (normally 50 WPC x7 channels i think). i would just be using it in stereo mode for the next 4 years until i move out of a dorm room. would it be best to get the HK 3480 as a receiver instead? not in terms of power, but in terms of musicality. the avr 245 would allow me to add on to my system as i go along, so maybe 5 years down the road i could go to a full fledged 7.1 system. i dont want to have to buy it a new receiver soon, but if theres gonna be a major difference in sound, then im willing to do so. i figured i would just get the 245 avr right now so i can use it for a good 20 years hopefully before it dies out on me. my speakers will probably be paradigm titan's unless anyone can describe anything better in the under $250 price range. also i was reading that the titan's take only 60 watts rms? (sorry im a car audio guy so i dont know if they use "rms" in home audio terms). is that true? i mean i dont wanna feed them 120 watts if they only take 60...i could always get the 3380 if i HAD to have a stereo receiver...i think that one puts out 80 WPC...then again..maybe that'd be overdriving it too? i dono. im a bit stuck now...but this thread seems to be the closest place to put my dilemna so i appreciate the help. thanks!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 69
ps also i like the avr 245 cause it has the ipod bridge thing, unlike the stereo receivers....just a perk i guess.

Gold Member

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 2003
There's no question that AVRs qill be quite different 5 years from on. They will all have HDMI switching and likely will process the new sound formats that come with Blue Ray and HD-DVD. So don't count on being fulfilled with today's AVR in 5 year, while the HK 3480 will still be good for stereo.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 76
ok i might stick with the 3480 then...the one thing making my decision hard is that on my current receiver (a 20 year old yamaha r-5), when i plug my ipod in through the phono input using an rca cable with a 3.5mm headphone jack on one end, it distorts massively. all settings on the ipod are set to flat eq. all settings on the receiver are flat. if i plugged my ipod into the HK 3480 in this manner, would it still distort, or would it play clear because the technology is all new? also, since my ipod is my sole source of music, would the HK play the "surround mode" through the stereo setup or is that only for cd's? thank you for your help i appreciate it.

Silver Member
Username: Stefanom

Vienna, VA United States

Post Number: 287
A: Don't stick anything outside of a turntable into a phono input. They are special.

B: The 3.5mm to RCA jack will work fine at any other input.

C: Prologic will still work in the surround receiver. I'm not sure what the Vmax does on the 3480, but I don't imagine it will have a problem messing around with your ipod's output.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 77
thank you thats exactly what i needed to know! looks like 3380/3480 and the alegrias, thank you for all your help today stephen

Gold Member

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 2004
Yeah, the phono input is massively EQed to restore the sound from an inverse EQ applied to the source material for storage on the vinyl medium.

Gold Member
Username: Joe_c

Atlanta, GA USA

Post Number: 1245
RIAA
ENNU
ACAD
LRLI
LEOO
YDG_
_I__
_B__