Cambridge 840C

Username: Tigg

Post Number: 1
Anyone with experience with the Cambridge 840C CD player (and/or their 840A integrated amp)? Have auditioned them and liked their quality for the buck (less than $1400). Would be driving Lipinski 707s for speakers. Surprised not to find any discussion of these Cambridge units out here. Liked them better in audition than the NAD Masters. Not as much as the Musical Fidelity A5 equipment, but that's another budget point too.

Silver Member
Username: Ravbains

MelbourneAustralia

Post Number: 311
Hi Mark,

just out of curiosity I have auditioned the 840C and the Rega Saturn.

Of the two players I prefered the Saturn, since I felt their was more life to the sound.

But in my locale, the Saturn costs $3200 AUD, and the 840C $2200 AUD.

In summary I feel the 840C is a great player at its respective price point. I found its sound to be civilised and detailed, a player that I could happily live with considering its very fair price.

cheers
Rav

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 5100
Ravi, welcome again.You have been missed.

Would the Apollo place for this comparo?

Silver Member
Username: Ravbains

MelbourneAustralia

Post Number: 312
Hi Nuck,

good to be reading you too, and yes the Apollo is defintely a good one to look at too, sells for $1500 AUD down here.

I found the 840C to be more weighty, but the Apollo is a bit more fleet of foot, and has the toe tapping type of sound. Both good machines at sensible money!

Best wishes for a happy and prosperous 2007
-Rav

Username: Tigg

Post Number: 3
Rav:
Thanks for the comment. Your audition experience confirms my own ears, but the sound (for the price) was one of the things I could determine myself. Was hoping that the assembled masses had some durability/repair/usage experience with the higher-end Cambridge units (both the 840C CDP and the 840 Int. Amp.). Looks like not much.
Mark

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 5108
Tigg, this might be a dead end for now, but I am gonna dig up some specs/reviews and post them.
You do the same?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us