"authorized dealer"

Silver Member
Username: Bill984

Post Number: 162
i see pioneer elite recievers and velodyne subs at 300 to 500 off retail but they are not an "authorized dealer"' i realize the mfg wants you to buy from an authorized dealer because they all charge the same msrp. but if a dealer can sell the same 1100 dollar reciever for 750 it seems to me you are actually paying 350 for a warranty.

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 9522

How much will you pay for a warranty?

Bronze Member
Username: Mike53

Post Number: 15
It depends on what the warranty covers and how long it last. A warranty that is 1/3 the value of the item seems rather excessive, to me.

Silver Member

Post Number: 163
but is that (the warranty) really the only reason for the price difference? i assume the "unauthorized" dealer buys the product from the same factory.
seems like "gray market" cameras to me.

Bronze Member
Username: Mike53

Post Number: 17
How can an "unauthorized" dealer buy a product from the factory? When I think of an "unauthorized" dealer I envision one of these clearance houses that buys left-overs and last year's products. That or the "black market" dealers.

Gold Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 1762
The other reason is that typically the unauthorized dealer doesn't have the backup, offer the service or have the facilities of an authorized dealer, thus not being able to support and represent the product in a fashion to the manufacturer's specifications. Given that it's always easier to hit on a bad configuration than a good one, this is what you're really paying for.

Regards,
Frank. ('authorized dealer')

Silver Member

Post Number: 164
frank, great, that is what i thought. service and convenience.

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 4971
Service, indeed, convenience in a way.
To get a unit repaired it must be packed up and leave your home.Few shops do repairs. It is going to get shipped away. So that convenience is gone, mostly.

Convenient to order, no difference.
Convenient to go pick it up, or risk the OOPS, er UPS?, tie.

The convenience is having the service available, before(sometimes long before), during and after the sale. If you know what you want, go buy it, warranty or not.

If you don't go to a shop or two to listen(service) and chat about various Brands(service) and get to try stuff out at home(if you don't get this service, you should). Or the service of the set-up guy for a theatre?

I've had 3 great dealers in the last 20 years, 2 still, 1 I buy from usually.
If I had listened to the best advise and the best equipment, I would still have my present stereo.

And about $4500.00

Silver Member
Username: Daniel_canada

Canada

Post Number: 246
It cost big $$$ to keep a store front, hours and decent employees.

Silver Member

Post Number: 166
i bought a yamaha ysp-1100 and mounted it on the wall before realizing that the serial number was on the back and i didn't want to take it back down. yamaha told me that registering with a serial no was a marketing tool to get my info. and that without it the product was still under warranty. i assume a warranty on a new product is valid even if you don't buy from an "authorized" dealer. the product would still come with a warranty card in the box.

Gold Member

Post Number: 4985
Brand independant, the proof would be when you submit a claim.

To be sure, why not call the manufacturer and run the SN?

Gold Member
Username: Touche6784

USA

Post Number: 1154
bill, most if not all audio companies have disclaimers stating that purchases from unauthorized dealers automatically nulls the warranty. you have the absolutely wrong idea in terms of warranty and unauthorized dealers. companies have the ability to track where items should have been purchased using the serial numbers which is why many unauthorized dealers will remove or alter them so they can not track where the item was from. if you dont want to get it from an authorized dealer go to ebay or audiogon. you have a better chance of getting a working product from there.

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 1155
2076_310070097_310105092%2C00.html,http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pna/v3/pg/t op/div/article/0,,2076_310070097_310105092,00.html
http://www.yamaha.com/yec/customer/dealer.aspx?CTID=5010030

now that could not have been that hard to do bill.

Gold Member

Post Number: 5011
now that could not have been that hard to do bill.

The link is wrong.

now that could not have been that hard to do, Christopher.

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 1156
i tried again and its the forum not the link that doesnt work. still, all the guy had to do was go to pioneer's website to see the disclaimer.

Gold Member

Post Number: 5013
Reading the fine print is always good advise, Christopher. Thanks.

Bronze Member
Username: Rysa3

Houston, Texas

Post Number: 81
Actually what can happen ( and has happened) is that unauthorized dealers buy from authorized ealers to help the authorized dealers meet quotas or increase sales numbers. I am not impuning any specific authorized dealers but have read the litigation involving "Crazy Eddie" and others over the past few years.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us