What to do if your receiver has no subwoofer out...

Bronze Member
Username: Wasserman12

Post Number: 29
My Luxman R-115 has no subwoofer out. What can one do in this situation if one wants to use a subwoofer?is there some sort of external crossover you can use?

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 4690
EW,get a sub with speaker level inputs. Some also have pass filters out to the mains to limit their low frequency exposure,
Or run full range to the mains and attenuate the sub.

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 9375

You need an output which tracks the volume control. This can be a pre amp output or the speaker level outputs, not a tape out. If you use the pre amp out, you can buy an active stereo X-over that supplies a subwoofer output with variable crossover frequency and level set. I use a NADY model two way active crossover running into an external power amplifier for my passive HT subwoofer, it cost me $59.

Bronze Member
Username: Wasserman12

Post Number: 53
Jan-
I'm considering this problem again. Given your above solution, do you then run from the crossover back into your receiver, and from the receiver to the mains? What impedance issues arise when working this way? Does this cross-over ensure that the mains are not receiving the signal that is going to the sub?
Thanks in advance for putting up with my repetitive questions.

Bronze Member
Username: Mvanmeter

KY USA

Post Number: 82
eugene,
before the days of 5.1 output with specific low frequency effect output for a powered sub, the "normal" method of hooking up a sub to a 2 channel stereo system was to feed both the left and right channel speaker level output into the sub-woofer crossover. The crossover would filter out the low frequency sound for the sub-woofer and then direct the higher frequency sounds back out to connectors for the normal left and right speakers. So the left-right speakers were actually connected to the crossover panel of the subwoofer and only the sub connected to the receiver. Usually the subs in the "early days" were passive, using the power of the receiver amp to power them.

Bronze Member
Username: Jedi1

Post Number: 28
the best thing to do is buy a new receiver..
brand new receiver solve all the problem..
thank you.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us