Hdcd sacd questions

Bronze Member
Username: Malco49

Baltimore, Maryland Usa

Post Number: 25
excepting the initials are these different "formats"?
in other words if i buy a cd player that supports hdcd will it encode sacd that will allow one to enjoy it's benefits?
i am thinking of getting the denon cd390 which has hdcd.
i like the 5cd changer for the cd format

Bronze Member
Username: Underarock

Milwaukee, WI USA

Post Number: 78
No. See the thread "CD or SACD" in this forum.

Bronze Member
Username: The13thgryphon

Spokane, WA USA

Post Number: 20
HDCD -- High Density Compatible Digital -- enhances the audio quality of Compact Discs. At least that's what it is designed to do, and that's what my ears tell me it is doing. But nonetheless, it is a process layered on a Compact Disk (CD). SACD -- Super Audio Compact Disc -- is an entirely different format.

HDCD discs can be played back in non-HDCD players. But it requires an HDCD capable player to achieve the desired results: a claimed increase in dynamic range and a more natural sound.

An HDCD capable CD play is still a CD player, and not an SACD player.

Bronze Member

Baltimore, Maryland Usa

Post Number: 26
thanks john
do all compact disc's(those from record labels,you know one's put out by bands etc)have HDCD?
or only certain cd's
so is HDCD something on cd's in general and having
a HDCD CD player brings it out,or are only certain
CD's made with HDCD as i think only some CD's have
SACD

Bronze Member
Username: The13thgryphon

Spokane, WA USA

Post Number: 21
Mitchell,

Not all compact disks are HDCD. Not even from big record labels. Last time I looked there were over 4,000 titles that were HDCD encoded, but that's a small fraction of the total number of CD titles available.

Look for the HDCD logo on your CD's, and see if any of them have it. You might be surprised to find that you already own several. The label is often small, and usually hidden on the back of the jewel box.

Yes, you need an HDCD capable CD player to "bring out" the best in an HDCD CD. They can be played on a non-HDCD machine, and won't sound any worse than a "normal" CD in those circumstances.

It is probably more correct to say that some SACD's are hybrid SACD's, and that they have both an SACD and a "Redbook" (or normal) CD layer; than it is to say that some CD's have a Super Audio layer. That's really the case. Some SACD's also have a standard CD layer, and can be played in a regular CD player. But keep in mind that not all SACD's have this feature, and many can't be played unless you have an SACD player, or multi-disk player that decodes SACD.

Hope that's helpful.

Bronze Member

Baltimore, Maryland Usa

Post Number: 27
john
yes it is.i also "googled" the question and found out the anwser.it seems that a cd player made well
without HDCD or SACD will fit my needs.
thanks
mitchell
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us