Av receiver shuts down

Username: Ckh_nba

Post Number: 3
I have encountered a problem with my Teac amplifier shutting down playing DVD movies at a volume setting of around 50. I need this volume setting to hear the dialogue. My impedance of my speakers are: front 8 ohms, center and rear are 6 ohms.

The amplifier plays ok during dialogue but shuts down whenever there is loud bang or explosion.

The amplifier only plays ok during loud passages if I turn on the dynamic range compression.

My question is how can I play through loud passages without lowering the volume or turning on the dynamic range compression?

Will a change to a heavier gauge speaker wire help?

Any input is appreciated, thanks in advance

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 4571
Charlie, by the sounds of it, your receiver is just not up to the task. Regardless of your quoted speaker impenance, they may present a difficult load in other ways, including phase angle, which is not a quoted spec in most cases.

Unless your speaker leads are defective, corroded, thread-bare oe micrometer thin, replacement will not help.

At first blush, I would guess that the Teac is insufficient to the tasks being requwsted. Sorry.

On the upside, there are great bargains to be had right now, some pretty good stuff for ridiculously small outlay.

Bronze Member
Username: Stevestar99

Dahlonega, GA

Post Number: 23
The protection circuit on your amp is detecting square wave/clipping. You're trying to push the amp past it's max output. You're going to need a bigger amp. There is also the possibility that your speakers are bottoming out, which in turn drops the inductive reactants of the speaker. Which ever the case, the protection circuit is picking up a DC clip. You can try to kind of eye ball the speaker to see what's going on , but will need some test equipment to check the amp.

Username: Skypilott2

Salt Lake City, UT

Post Number: 1
charlie.H,
Did you ever find a 'fix' for this problem? I have the same problem with amp shutting down during either HD DVD or HD cable playback of movies with explosions, etc. I am using a new Onkyo TX-SR804 AV Receiver with the following equipment:
-Toshiba HD-XA1KN HD DVD Player
-Motorola DVR HD Cable box
-Definitive Technology 5.1 Speakers (2-ProTower 400, 1-ProCenter C2, 2-ProMonitor 80)
-Panasonic TH-50PX600U Plasma TV

Silver Member
Username: Bill984

Post Number: 201
i was getting "overload" message on an older pioneer reciever in my office when i would up the volume. i figured it was the reciever but thought it might be the speakers. so i took it upstairs and hooked it to a different set of speakers with no problem. brought it back down and took greater care rewiring the speakers and the problem has not reappeared. may have been frayed wires touching.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us