Focal speakers?

Bronze Member
Username: Jonandabby

Post Number: 12
I was thinking about Orb Audio, and went to Tweeter to look at some Tv's. They spoke to me about a home theater setup from Focal speakers for $999. Anyone know ANYTHING about Focal speakers??

Silver Member
Username: Jethro

Lansing, Mi

Post Number: 101
http://www.focal.tm.fr/accueil_en.htm

http://www.hometheatermag.com/floorloudspeakers/904jmlab/

i had the impression that focal labs speakers were higher end or at least higher end on the cost spectrum. do your homework bro. they spoke to you about the home theater setup for 999 bucks, how about an audition. there are just too many manufacturers out there atm to not do yourself the justice of listening for yourself. No, i haven't heard them for myself nor do i know which line of focal speakers your talking about. Not that you asked for advice, but I would take my time and listen as your money is on the line. The added bonus is that you may actually enjoy doing it.

Gold Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 1652
Focal's full name is Focal JmLab and they're French. Focal was the original name for the drive unit manufacturing side of the business. JmLab was the name of the speaker manufacturer (which used Focal drive units of course). The company also makes quality units for in car entertainment.

In the last couple of years, Focal have focussed more on producing great speakers and less on selling drive units to other speaker manufacturers. This is why they prefer to be known as Focal JmLab, but it is a bit of a mouthful, so a lot of people end up abbreviating to the first word - Focal.

Focal have a very wide range of speakers from around $400 for a pair of Chorus 705s up to around $80,000 a pair for their Grande Utopia. The Chorus range is in the process of being revamped into two ranges, the 600V and 800V I believe.

I am not aware of a 5.1 package but this is the time of year for new announcements so the package that may have been offerred may have been a new development or a Chorus special at that store in order to move on some Chorus stock in anticipation of the new range's launch.

All Focals I've heard are well built, good quality and offer value for money performance.

Regards,
Frank.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 14
The system is called the Sib line. It comes with 5 similar sized satellites and a subwoofer. I'm concerned about the center channel being the same size as a rear speaker....

Silver Member
Username: Jethro

Lansing, Mi

Post Number: 104
don't be. assuming your in this for mainly HT usage, it would be an advantage imo for all of your speakers from the same manufacturer to be not only similar, but identical(so same size won't matter). Your concern shouldn't be your concern i believe. Mainly, i would just compare this 5 speaker combo to others in your price range (with the same sub if possible) and go from there.

Gold Member

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 1669
Ah! I didn't realise that the Sibs would come in so cheap. There's quite a few options in the Sib range so it's worth checking out what you're getting. I don't have any experience with the Sibs so I can't help you there I'm afraid.

As to having the same five satellites, this is actually an advantage over dedicated speakers in some ways. It means the money is being emphasised on the main fronts or the centre, it also means you guarantee a uniform soundfield. M&K, one of the best surround system manufacturers in the business, will tell you that having the same satellites all the way around is the correct way to build these systems. Also, the high definition music surround formats (SACD and DVD-A) specify that all the satellites should be the same (but in their case they should be full range) in order to create the correct soundfield.

Regards,
Frank.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 15
I don't mind having similar satellites. I do like the flexibility of the Orbs, however. I've heard them, and they are excellent. AND I like that you can put a pair together on the fronts and centers if you want to fill that out a bit.

Are you suggesting that Orb's solution isn't ultimately going to be a recommended solution (although I suppose you can always add the 2nd one onto the rears, and then all 5 will be the same....)

Gold Member

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 1671
No, I didn't say that, but your original post was really asking for info about the Focals.

Regards,
Frank.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us