Halfer Stereo Amp Problems

Bronze Member
Username: Tunasalad

California US

Post Number: 17
Hi Guys,

I bought a Halfler DH-220 stereo amplifier at a garage sale (bad idea), one channel doesn't fully work. The right works very well, but the left output is only audible at VERY high volumes, and then it is so distorted that the music can't be heard most of the time. This is my introduction to the high-fi audio world and I'd like to start with a working setup, so if anyone can help me (in laymens terms please), I would be grateful. Thank You!

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 4140
Open it up and grab your meter.
Measur the output transistors(in diode test) from good side to the bad. The meter should ring on one tri-test only. Locate the bad units and replace with new, comparable ones.

Or take it to a shop.

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 9145

In layman's terms, take it to a shop.

Bronze Member

California US

Post Number: 18
Thanks Guys,

I do have some expertise in the matter, and more importantly, so does my dad. He said he could help me test it, but I would like to know in advance what options I will have if it is indeed a problem with the transistor (price of replacing, availability of parts for older equipment...).

Thanks, Stefan

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 4154
Easy! Just call your local geek electronics parts store with the part #'s of the original items and have them crossed to NEC or equivelent parts. Upgrades available often!
Be sure to buy the heat sink compound to mount them, and see about some aluminum fins to screw behind the original mounting plate. A father/son adventure! Grand!
It's real easy.

Bronze Member

California US

Post Number: 19
Thanks,

I appreciate the info. Also, in the meantime, I'm using my alternative setup, which has problems. It is this little cambridge audio intergrated subwoofer/amp. Whenever is is on, there is the sound of a crackling fire coming from inside the left speaker. I really can't be more specific about the sound because it really does sound like a large fire. The speakers are these medium size sony's and I've determined that it's not the speakers. Once again, advice greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Stefan
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us