HK 340 underpowered for JBL Northridges?

Username: Tgurley

Post Number: 4
Hello all,

Im looking into a HK AVR-340 or 240 and I am using JBL Northridge E80 s, some older JBL rears and an EC35. I dont plan to upgrade past 5.1 anytime soon. We mainly use our system to watch TV / Movies with some radio here and there.

Can anyone that has experience with a similar setup tell me if the HK s will leave me lacking and how it will affect the sound? If so, any other model suggestions?

Thanks in advance!
Thomas

Silver Member
Username: Hawk

Highlands Ranch, CO USA

Post Number: 935
Thomas:

Please do not get sucked into the mass market receiver morass which all claim they have 100 wpc. As has been repeated here many times, those mass market brands (all from companies based on a certain island in the North Pacific) claim to offer 100 wpc, but in fact, they can only generate 100 wpc when driving only two channels and then only at one frequency (1kHz). Testing with all channels driven (5.1) across the entire audio frequency range will find many of them not even putting out 50 wpc. This is because they have puny power supplies sourced from the lowest cost producer.

Contrast that with HK's use of very large power supplies and higher quality output transistors, and you will find that those JBLs will actually sound louder than a 100 wpc Yamaha or Sony, and with more authority to the sound. In short, HK is one of the very few that publish an "honest" power rating. The AVR 340 will do an excellent job with those speakers, Heck, the JBLs have a sensitivity rating of 91db. Almost any receiver can drive speakers that sensitive! (Unless, of course, you are putting this system in a very large barn).

Post Number: 5
Thanks Hawk, that makes perfect sense to me. And since just before you responded I impulse bought an AVR 335 for $300, I hope your opinion tranfers to that model as well! Looking forward to putting it through its paces! :-)

Thomas

Gold Member
Username: Petergalbraith

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 1828
Great price. Where did you get it?

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 9079

http://www.myhometheater.homestead.com/splcalculator.html

Post Number: 6
Hey Peter,

I bought it from the Harman Kardon Factory refurbished site on ebay, comes with the same warranty. They have an option where you just make on offer on a product for sale and see if they accept.

Im working on doing the same thing for a BIC H100 sub at another site right now.

Later!

Gold Member

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 1831
Thanks Thomas. That ebay refurb store isn't available to us in Canada. Sucks.

Username: Spisfam

Post Number: 1
Hi there. I bought the HK AVR 340 with the i-pod bridge, and when we set up the system with the auto speaker set up the reproduction was awsome. I have a 7.1 set with a Samsung 50 inch DLP and a JVC dvd player and until I decide to get the I think blue ray dvd player I have no compaints with my equipment, and I think it was the best choice we made.

Silver Member
Username: Praetorian

Canada

Post Number: 405
Enjoy!

Post Number: 7
Well guys I now have a HK AVR 335, a set of JBL E20s for rears, and a BIC H100 sub on the way to add to my JBL E80s and my EC35. All that for under $1000 with the HK being the only refurb :-)

Thanks for all the feedback and encouragement, and a special thanks to my wife for being nearly as obsessed with HT as I am. Now to upgrade that DVD player...

Thomas

Silver Member
Username: Praetorian

Canada

Post Number: 406
Good hunting Thomas! I hope you enjoy your system!

Username: Lorneth1

Question for Peter:
On your 340, which is configured as 7.1. What is your typical volume settings for movies with good dialogue and sound effects? I have mine at -30 - 27Db to hear the awesomeness other than that it would feel like its not producing enough.

Gold Member

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 1971
Kenneth,

-30 to -27 dB is plenty low. You are only using approximately 1/1000th of the available power!

The setting you use will depend on room size, loudness, and speaker sensitivity. Reference level works out to about -15 dB on my system, and I usually watch movies 5 to 10 dB below reference.

Bronze Member
Username: Lorneth1

Post Number: 12
Thanks Peter, I'm currently listening about -20dB for my movies and -30 for tv. I guess at first I was like...-20dB? for movies? It seems like my system was close to its max already. I guess -40 to -27 is not much but from -26 to -15 is a different issue. Like I was, I as just being paranoid that I had to think my system was close to its limits. My room size is about 12*18 and bose 301 and vcs 10 for my front and center 201s for my surrounds including back. My EZset up had my system configured -1dB on speaker levels.

Username: Bullwinkle30

i purchased a HK 435 and it drives my infinty primus 250's great.

Silver Member
Username: Arande2

400dB could probably d..., 4000 isnt ev... 100,000dB FU...

Post Number: 626
Yeah if you have a subwoofer you need even less power from your receiver so not a huge issue I guess.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us