Technics SL-B2 output to one but not both speakers

Username: Jimgrot

Calgary, Alberta Canada

Post Number: 2
T recently bought a great working Technics SL-B2 turntable from eBay. However I can only get output to one speaker at a time. Wiht both output jacks plugged in to my amp sounds comes from only only speaker (very quiet muffled sound comes from the other). When I unplug the good output jack then the other speaker comes on loud and clear. I've reversed the left-right inputs from the turntable to the amp and the effect remains the same. I get good sound to either speaker one at a time as I unpluge one or the other output jacks from the turntable. I just can't get both speakers to work at the same time. I've tried another am and even a pre-amp (though my main amp is built to accept phono input) and the 'one only' effict is still there. I'm not having problems with other devices (CD player, tuner, tape drives) hooked in to the amp.

Has anyone some insight and soutions to what is going on here?
Thanx in advance
Jim

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 9071

If you have swapped connections enough to conclude the problem is in the table area, then you want to begin by trying the simplest fix and progressing to the most complicated/expensive. The first thing to try is a good, thorough cleaning of all the connection points from the cartridge pins to the pre amp end of the interconnects. (Do not put any liquid inside the cartridge body.) Take the bottom of the table off and check for any corroded or poor condition connections. If neither of these fixes solve your problem, the next step is to change out the interconnects running from the table to the pre amp. Finally, the cartridge would be the last step toward a probable repair. If it has a replaceable stylus, you can try a new stylus. Stylus assemblies seldom go bad however. The stylus wears out, but the assembly keeps working. A new cartridge would be the better choice as the last logical resort.

Username: Damncrappyplasma

Post Number: 8
Did you get it fixed? I own a Technincs SL-1200 and have a similar problem.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us