Rega Apollo CDP combo with Nait5i

Username: Tonydito

Post Number: 4
Hi everyone,

Needed some opinions on CDP Rega Apollo. The difference between Apollo is 1000USD less than CD5i in Canada.

Apollo CDP represent an execellent value for the money, so it has more weight in my purchasing decision.

How much improvement should CD5i have over Apollo CDP?

Cheer,
Tony

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 3994
Hey Tony.
My local shop has an Apollo for 1200 cad.
I am wondering what price you found it for?
Does the same shop have the Naim as well?
Good chance for an A/B and some observations from you, if you can.

Post Number: 7
Hi Nuck,

I can find one CDP Apollo for less than $1000 Canadian at local audio shop.
http://www.hififofum.ca/

Cheer
Tony from Toronto

Gold Member

Post Number: 4014
Tony, that player is really hot right now, Rega has a winner on it's hands, no doubt.
I would only sugest you listen to Nad 542 and Rotel 1070(1072) to compare.
As well, Rega is freshly releasing the Saturn player, which might be the only one better than their own.

Hard to tell without hearing them all, T, hope you can demo each.
You ain't gonna lose whatever you choose.

Username: Jasdface

Portsmouth, Hants England

Post Number: 1
Was looking for some help and stumbled on your thread....My much loved Planet has died so I'm currently auditioning replacements. The rest of my system is all Rega. Cursa, Bi-amped maia's powering Jura's. Rega couple I/C's all round.

The A£500 Apollo was fantastic, markedly better than the Planet.
The A£850 CD5i was also fantastic, but not really any better than the Apollo.
If that is your only choice, it has to be a financial decision with the Apollo on top.

Both players were good on detail and separation, the Apollo was easier to use as it has no removable puck.

Hoped you may have heard something about the new A£1300 Saturn, I have a brand new one on loan. Big on bass but the rest is just not happenning for me. Tried the Couple I/C's and there is no detail in the higher frequency. It has no pace or drive other than the bass. Upgraded I/C's to A£220 Chord Chorus, no change. The unit has been the shop demo for 3 days only. I've played 6 hours on it now. At what point do I give it up as a bad job? How long do these things need running in for?

I've still got the CD5X to try, but at the moment the Apollo is ahead, Saturn is last on both performance and cost!!!

Hope you find this useful, and if you can help my little situation I will be grateful.

Jas

Silver Member
Username: Mike3

Lewisville, Tx USA

Post Number: 149
The Rega distributor I spoke with when I ordered my Rega Apollo suggested ~200 hours break in. Take that for what it's worth. It sounded pretty good after about a week. Better since. I have had my Apollo since June.

If you elect to give the Saturn a good workout I would love to hear your final analysis.

Bronze Member
Username: Angello

Post Number: 54
it supports vaw, mp3 files!

Bronze Member
Username: Nmytree

Post Number: 63
I've never been a believer in "burn-in" but the Rega Apollo proved me wrong.

The few things I've heard/read about the Rega Saturn, have been very positive and indicate a nice improvement over the Apollo. In my opinion, you have to give the Saturn a lot more time to burn-in. Otherwise, I think there may be a problem with your particular Saturn, or maybe it simply doesn't mate well with your other gear.

My Apollo really started coming inot it's own around the 200-300 hour mark, and by 400 hours is was awesome! For the first time in this hobby, I actually heard a big difference after burn-in.

I'm keeping the Apollo in one of my systems, and I'm currently saving for a Saturn.......for my other system.

When I get the Saturn, I'll post my experiences as I hook it up and burn it in.

Gold Member

Post Number: 4059
Thanks, and good to see you again NMT.

Silver Member
Username: Ravbains

MelbourneAustralia

Post Number: 269
Hi Jason,

FWIW, like others here I have only experienced hearing the effect of burn in recent times.

What I have noticed (gross generalization here) is that the more trick/high quality components that a piece of audio equipment uses, then the longer burn-in period that is required to get the piece of equipment to show its full potential.

In your case I would source a burn-in disk, like the Ayre or Isotek one, and leave the Saturn player on constant repeat with the burn-in disc loaded.

cheers
rav

Gold Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 1637
Tony,

I think I would have the CD5i over the Apollo, but it's a close-run thing. As far as I know, HiFiFoFum is the Naim and Rega distributor in Canada. He should be able to do the A/B for you. Good guy, from what I've read of his posts on the Naim forum.

I have played with the Saturn and I must say I am underwhelmed at the moment. We will be sending ours back for a check up I think. We had heard a late pre-production prototype and that had sounded absolutely fantastic, so we are giving it the benefit of the doubt but at the moment I'd actually prefer the Apollo to the Saturn.

Regards,
Frank.

Post Number: 10
Frank,

I really need side-by-side comparison the Apollo and CD5i then make my final decision.
I appreciated your comments

Jason Collins:
Thanks for your inputs

Cheer
Tony

Bronze Member
Username: Nmytree

Post Number: 65
You're Welcome, Nuck.

Good to see you here, also. Hope you are doing well.

Username: Kommando

Mt. Prospect, IL

Post Number: 6
Hi,

I owned the Apollo for about few months and absolutely loved it. Also, for whatever it's worth, the Apollo is now on the recommended B list of Stereophile in the lateset issue, with $$$ (value multiple its price). Hope it helps.

KP
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us