Speakers for music only

Username: Musicrover

Rosville, Ca

Post Number: 2
Hello,
I am looking for bookshelf speakers to audition for critical music listening. I have a budget of $1000.00 for a pair. The listing room is a loft 15 x 10 that open ups to the rest of my two story home. I tend to listen to music (rock, guitar jazz) on the loud side? any ideas?
Thank you,
Musicrover

Gold Member
Username: Chitown

Post Number: 1206
Tim to the rescue.

I haven't heard it myself, but some of people on this thread have tested these speakers at their home courtesy of Tim and they raved about it. I'm sure he'll be along soon for more info.

http://www.us.alegriaaudio.com/

Silver Member
Username: Stefanom

Silver Spring, MD United States

Post Number: 126
What are you planning to use to power the speakers and use as a source? Also, how loud is loud?

I am an owner of Tim's Emma speakers, and can attest to their quality. They aren't a particularly difficult load to drive, and they have solid bass response, so no sub is really needed. However, they aren't the most efficient speakers in the world, and they do like to suck up the juice. I use them in a bedroom about 10x10, and they definately get loud enough for my tastes when I'm rocking out, but they won't substitute for a pair of CV's if party volumes are what you seek.

Gold Member
Username: Timn8ter

Seattle, WA USA

Post Number: 1056
My listening room is 16' x 16' x 11' with non-parallel walls and open in the front. The Emmas fill it just fine. They play loud and down to 40Hz using a 35w/ch EL-34 based tube amp. As long as you're not expecting 20Hz earth shaking rap bass they should work well in your space.

Rosville, Ca

Post Number: 3
I am using Haman Kardon HK3480 stereo receiver and a Onkyo - M 282 amp. As far as volume the best way I could relate would be if I was singing along the music would make me sound like I can hold a tune.

Gold Member
Username: Timn8ter

Seattle, WA USA

Post Number: 1057
No problem.

Gold Member
Username: Chitown

Post Number: 1209
Does everybody else clear the room when you are singing? :-)

Rosville, Ca

Post Number: 4
I would give William Hung of American Idol fame a run for his money.

Silver Member
Username: Stefanom

Silver Spring, MD United States

Post Number: 127
Good stuff. Singing has become one of my little hobbies as of late. I'm even giving a concert tonight (karaoke night at the bar...). I've also recorded a few tunes, so I think I qualify as a recording artist now.

Back to topic though. I run an HK 3380 receiver, and it does a great job with the Emmas. The only problem I have found is when I raise the volume to about -5dB it starts to get harsh, but that is likely more a limitation of the receiver than the speakers absolute limits. Mind you that the music is pretty darned loud at this point, and if you value your hearing, you won't play it at that level for too long. Nonetheless, with the extra headroom afforded you by your setup, I would expect you to be able to drive Emma to any reasonable volume and a few unreasonable volumes as well.

Gold Member
Username: Edster922

Abubala, Ababala The Occupation

Post Number: 4468
Another enthusiastic vote for the Emmas, by someone who's auditioned them at home, in a 6000 cubic foot open plan space. No lack of room-filling sound whatsoever.

The only caveat with the Emmas is you need at least 2-3 feet between them and the front wall to avoid boominess.

Bronze Member
Username: Eib_nation

Ohio EIBville

Post Number: 91
Utilizing specific speaker positioning in one room, may not work best for another. Let's not lose sight of the fact that the acoustics of each room is unique, and the room will play a significant impact on how any speakers' sound once comb-filtering brought on by reflections of the room cause excessive damage to the sources' tone. That is especially true if the owner of any given room has neglected to employ room treatments to fix deficiencies inherent in every untreated listening room.

I think it's a little difficult to critique a speaker sound, if the audition is being performed in a flawed room. After all, the room when seated in a typical listening position generates 50% of the sound waves that reach your ears.

Bronze Member
Username: Krazymofo24

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 15
If you are going to pay retail new, than go with the Polk Lsi9's. They are excellent for music, for the price.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us