Speaker ohms

Username: Musicrover

Rosville, Ca

Post Number: 1
Hello,

I am in the market for speakers. I currently have a Haman Kardon HK3480 stereo receiver and a Onkyo - M 282 amp. I am looking at purchasing Vienna Acoustic Haydn grand speakers. However I noticed on the back of the Onkyo amp it indicates min. 6 independence ohms. The Viennas are 4 independence ohms. Will this work or damage the unit/speakers?

Thank you for your assistance,
Musicrover

Silver Member
Username: Stefanom

Silver Spring, MD United States

Post Number: 125
The HK should be able to handle it without the external amp. Don't know what the Onkyo can manage though.

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 9006
JP - You need to know more about the speaker's load characteristics before you can guess whether an amplifier will be happy with them attached to its outputs. Investsigate the minimum and maximum impedance of the speaker. Know the lowest and highest amount of load the speaker presents to the amp and at what frequency. This could easily turn a nominal four Ohm speaker into a below two Ohm disaster for a typical receiver. You'll also want to know the electrical phase angle of the speaker. This can usually be found in a review of the speaker or by calling the manufacturer or rep. A modest impedance load with a difficult phase angle would still not be a wise choice for a receiver. Understand that a simple impedance figure quoted on a spec sheet doesn't provide sufficient information to adequately judge how an amplifier will react to a speaker.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us