Marantz CD7300 vs Cambridge Audio Azur 640C V2

Bronze Member
Username: Skareb

Post Number: 39
It was the time of the year again where I was bitten by the upgrade bug. So after just changing my amp to the Primare I21 I decide the next thing to tinkle was my CDP. I was really undecided between the 2 CDP, and all the review I've read are individually written test. So I decide to do my own review and share the experience with my personal opinion of the 2.

I went to CMY audio store at Sg. Wang Plaza and spoke to John, telling him of my predicament. So he gave me a simple solution, take the 2 home and do your own review! afterall only I myself would know what I wanted. He's the guy who sold me all my hifi stuff and the reason I always ended up there is he's kind enough to offer me home audition.

So he send both the players to my apartment that evening, my first account with the 2, hopeless sound! well I know better than that, so I did the ritual and the usual burn in period (20hrs to be precise).

Next evening I played my first song on the 640C, after so much reading from internet and hifi mag all the hoohaa about this British gem well I was a little bias. First song Vincero Perdero - Lee Lessack And true enough the imaging was superior. The placement of vocals are very forward and instruments appearing atleast 4feet behind. I was immediately taken by its ability and I was leaning towards the Azur. The 7300 still stiff with not much performance so I guess its a late bloomer and I just left it continue playing and continue the rest of the evening enjoying the 640.

Day 3. Opening track Bridge over trouble water - Aretha Franklin, this time I was a bit eager to listen to the 7300. And yes it finally comes alive. The sound is laidback, the presentation is relaxing. If you like your system sounding behind the wall type this is your CDP and mine too. The 640 becoming bright and foward after 48hrs continuos burn in.

Day 4. Taking a chance on Love - Jane Monheit, comparing the both CDP, The Azur will present a very live human vocal right infront directly at the center and the rest of the instrument very distinct few feet behind. You can really pin-point each instrument. Impressive, the vocal have more texture, the treble just nice. The attack is good on faster pace music.

Whereelse the marantz is a total different machine. Its errr how shall I describe it, its a hifi! The vocal and the rest of the instrument is the same not louder, nothing jump on you, still laidback but much sweeter, the attack is just nice, the music sounding full and the bass is fatter.

After 5 days, I decided I'm going for the Marantz, I was surprise myself! Its vocal tone and texture is not as good as the Azur, but its the music presentation that captures my heart. Very relaxing and neutral. It can keep you chasing CDs the whole night.

The Azur tho with its impressive imaging, its faster attack, and realistic texture, sounds like the ideal CDP, but sadly after all the excitement die down, it starts sounding sterile and tiring. If you like listening to sound and staging then maybe this is the CDP for you, if you enjoy music then I would say the Marantz is the way to go.

Please take into consideration the component I mix with the 2, with other component it'll sound and perform differently. And also the music I listen to. I'm more like a Jazz and classical man. But I never knew CDP plays such an important role in HIFI and has so much characters within. I'm no professional audio reviewer I'm just a normal guy who loves hifi.

Component

Amp: Primare I21
Speakers: Audiopro Black Pearl V2
Speaker cable: QED silver Anni Bi
IC: QED Silver spiral
Main: Siltech SPX-20

CDs tested
Lee Lessack - In Good Company
stacey kent - Collection
The very best of Aretha Franklin
Jane Monheit - Taking a chance on Love
Vivaldi The Four season - Anne Sophie Mutter
Bach violin Concertos - Hilary Hahn

Upload

Silver Member
Username: Markusp

Toronto, ON Canada

Post Number: 146
Nice review. Enjoy the Marantz and more importantly, the music!

Cheers.

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 3202
Thanks for your time and effort, Skareb.
Good of you to share.
Enjoy your new player, that's a nice kit!

Nuck
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us