Which will be the best for B&W DM604 S3? Marantz PM7200 or HK970

Username: Diehardmonte

Delhi India

Post Number: 5
Hi, I have been doing a lot of reaserch on finding a good amp for B&W 604 S3. The best that i have come across are Musical Fidelity A3.5, Rotel RA1070 or RB/RC1070 and NAD C372. But all of these are an expensive pursuit for me at the moment. I can invest on amps or source at a later stage but cannot on the Speakers. So taking a plunge for these tall boys. Can anyone tell me if Marantz PM7200 would give a good musical experience till the time i go for an upgrade? The B&W DM604 S3 is a 200wpc 90dB sensitivity speaker at 8 ohms and PM7200 is a 95 wpc and 25wpc at Class A amp at 8 ohms.

Also, the other option i have is a Harman Kardon HK970 which is a 80wpc at 8 ohms with continous average power per channel of 75 amperes.

Please help me on this!

Cheers!!!

Username: Pece

SkopjeMacedonia

Post Number: 1
Sandeep my recomended is a Harman hk 970 it`s a better choise of Rotel int.amp and pre\power combo.The harman is a reall Hi-End amp for buget price,don`t take Marantc,it have probllematic dinamick and slow saund.I have a long audio experiance and I prefer the harman...I have HK 670 with Canton Karat m 709.

Bronze Member

Delhi India

Post Number: 12
Peco you are truly amazing! i was about to purchase the amp and cd player today! what a timing....i will reconsider my purchase now that u have told that Marantz is not that good. Ya in a way i was actually making a compromise because of the higher watt per channel, Class A operation and other few advantages of Marantz, but now i will wait till next week because the Harmon dealer is in other city n i will have to plan an audition and my travel in advance. Anyways, would you also let me know if Marantz CD7300 is a decent choice? How about Cambridge 640C v2, Rotel CD1072? But they are almost 30-40% costlier than Marantz. Although Marantz is more expensive but its coming without the custom duties here. Please guide.

With Best Regards
Sandeep

Username: Pece

SkopjeMacedonia

Post Number: 4
Sandeep I am don`t sure do you gott my massige,and I write against.I don`t like suggest anybady to go in other city,if don`t Harman dealer in youre city and Maranz is no bad choise.The cd 7300 is a decent choise for maranz amp.and good player so.Verry thanks for youre regards i hope that I help you in choise. Peco

Bronze Member

Delhi India

Post Number: 13
Hi Peco, i really respect your advice...going to another city is not an issue at all as i have to pick my speakers from there only. I was planning to have a Marantz PM7200, Harmon HK690 and Denon PMA1500 all at my B&W dealer there for a comparision. B&W speakers are not available here so anyways i'll have to go there. Your advice has really revoked me as i m one of those guys who start finding faults later and regret on it. I dont want to buy anything on which i will regret later. These are expensive equipments and we cant change them as frequently as clothes! Its better that i should look into all options first and then only take a plunge. I have been looking for some reviews on HK970 but wasn't able to find any. Harmon HK970 is the only amp in India after Krell & Bryston which is coming with a minimum 3 year warranty! How audiophile and sophisticated it is as compared to Marantz, i would definitely like to explore. I always welcome your expert advice since i m just stepping in this world of audiophiles. You are already an audiophile and your advices will surely help me lot in my current and future purchases. Thanks a lot Peco and stay in touch.

Cheers!!! & Best Regards
Sandeep
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us