$1,300 5.1 Speaker System - What to Buy?

Username: Bbaileyut

Post Number: 1
I need some help from the board...

I have about $1,300 to spend on a 5.1 speaker system. I have an Onkyo TX-DS787 THX 7.1 Receiver (100 Watts RMS @ 8 Ohms). These are going into a large room (30'x18') which is set up like an efficiency apartment with my effective watching area pretty small (10'x12'). I am most concerned with build and sound quality over loudness or bass-punch. I listen to a wide range of music, but mostly more acoustic and less thumping. These will be used for music and movies.

I am looking at the Klipsch Reference Series RF-10 Home Theater System which I can find for $1,300 and includes: (2) RF-10 floor standing speakers, (1) RC-10 center, (2) RS-10 surround, and (1) RW-8 sub.

Can anyone recommend anything else in the price range I should be looking at?

THANK YOU!!!

Gold Member
Username: Edster922

Abubala, Ababala The Occupation

Post Number: 4057
Since music is important to you, I would stay away from Klipsch as they tend to be on the bright side; a more neutral speaker would be ideal. This is my recommendation:

2 pairs CBM-170SE bookshelf speakers, 1 CMT-340center, 1 Hsu STF-2 sub = $1373 shipped

ascendacoustics.com ... Google them up for reviews, massive paper trail about 95% positive.

If you are not sure, order a single pair of the CBM-170SEs and take them into the shop to compare against the Klipsch, return shipping is maybe $25 in the unlikely case you prefer the Klipsch and you have 30 days to listen.

Username: Bbaileyut

Post Number: 2
Edster922,

Thanks for the reply - those do look very nice!

One thing I didn't mention is that I (obviously) want this system to work in my new house once I move. So, it will be going into a more traditional Den / Media room in the future. With this in mind, one more question:

I have decided on:
- HSU VTF-2 MK 2 Sub
- CMT-340 SE Center
- CBM-170 SW Surrounds

What about my front two, is it worth the extra $320 to step up to the CMT-340 SE front pair???

I would have to delay buying the rears (which is fine) and start with a 3.1 setup...

THANKS!

Silver Member
Username: Quinn

Post Number: 101
For a music first system the 340s are worth the extra over the 170s.

Gold Member
Username: Edster922

Abubala, Ababala The Occupation

Post Number: 4059
Quinn will probably disagree with me, but this is how I'd describe between the 340s and the 170s:

340s provide a fuller sound and wider soundstage than the 170s, especially at moderate/low volumes.
Some people have characterized the 340s as being "sweeter." They are not full-range by any means, but can go without a sub for 2-channel music much more readily than the 170s.

At high volumes, the 170s stay immaculately neutral, the 340s start to show a wee bit of treble strain right around 95db and up.

Since most people don't listen above 80-85db, yes I'd say the 340s are worth the extra dough if music is important. If it were mainly HT you're after, I'd say stick to the 170s and put the savings into a VTF-3.

(Note that my impressions were based on comparing the classic versions of these speakers, not the new SE versions.)

Bronze Member
Username: Jorge59

Rio de JaneiroBrasil

Post Number: 86
If you are on a tight budget, I suggest you consider HTM-200 surrounds. CBM-170 SE might be overkill.

Silver Member
Username: Quinn

Post Number: 102
Edster's opinion is of the classics 170s and 340s neither of us have heard the SE's new tweeter.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us