Magnepan MMG and HK AVR-635

Username: Straytexan

Post Number: 1
Just bought an HK AVR-635 receiver and want to buy Magnepan MMG speakers ($568/pair). Called Magnepan and they asked if the HK will operate at 4 ohms. I don't think so, as HK specs say 8 ohms. I also have a Parasound HCA-750A which will operate at 4 ohms. Can I buy the MMGs, and use the HK and Parasound to make it work?

Thanks for helping a newbie.

Silver Member
Username: Jamesp

Post Number: 158
Yes

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 3305
Yes.

Gold Member
Username: Stu_pitt

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 1315
The H/K will probably be able to drive them on its own. The Parasound will most likely do a better job. If the H/K has pre-outs, which I'm 99% sure it does, and the Parasound has RCA inputs, which I'm 99% sure it does, then you can use them all together.

Silver Member
Username: Kano

BC Canada

Post Number: 981
The HK can drive them, just to no where near their potential.

Post Number: 2
Need a tad more help...Stu Pitt says if the HK has pre-outs and RCA has inputs I can do it. Can someone explain how, as in do I need to wire the HK/Parasound/MMGs/CD or DVD player/whatever else a certain way? If all run through the Parasound, does that mean the HK cannot act as a source or controller (FM radio for football games, ability to play one type of music in one zone and other music in other zones...)?

Here's the back of the HK: http://www.myharman.net/images/products/rear_large/AVR635.jpg
Here's the Parasound specs: http://www.parasound.com/service_information/discontinued/hca750aspecs.html.

Final question is would anyone recommend something other than the Magnepan MMGs. For $568 delivered, they seem to be the best bang for the buck. I listen to a good mix of music, nothing super loud, and really can't move over $600 for speakers.

Thanks again for the advice.

Gold Member

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 1316
Hook everything up to the H/K as if the Parasound didn't exist. Then, run a pair of RCA wires from the pre-out R and L to the R and L input on the Parasound. Instead of connecting the R and L front speakers to the H/K, connect them to the Parasound. In this scenario, the H/K is being used as a pre-amp, controlling source selection, volume, etc., and the Parasound is acting as a power amp. For surround sound, hook up all other speakers to the H/K. The H/K will do everything except power the main R and L speakers. The parasound will power those. Volume control will still act the same way, although their may be some fine tuning that needs to be done. We'll talk you through that when we get their.

Gold Member

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 1317
Also, Maggies are somewhat an aquired taste. Some people love them, but they're definately everyone's cup of tea.

If you listen to a lot of rock music, you may not feel they're all that hot.

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 2677
And the sub?

Gold Member

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 1319
Hooked up normally as well. Gracias Nucko.

Post Number: 3
Thank you. Off to buy the MMGs, and will check back once they arrive.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2686
Have fun, Jon!

Gold Member
Username: Gavincumm

New York USA

Post Number: 1158
I myself own a pair of MMG's. I power them with a good quality 50WPC rotel amp and have never had a problem. However, I usually listen around 85 Db.

Maggies aren't for everyone. If you like rock music, they will take the power of a 200-300 WPC amp and beg for more.

If you are like me, and the vast majority of your music collection is pop, crossover classical, jazz, instrumental pop, R&B, and vocal music, you will love the resolution these speakers provide, provided you don't like your music at arena rock levels.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2756
A good description, Gavin, because the mmg's as fun as they are, should be left to jazz alone.

They cannot rock at all.

Look nice, though...

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 3323
The MMG's can rock pretty well with ample amplification and a good tight sub.

Gold Member

New York USA

Post Number: 1160
exactly art. That is what I meant. You need a minimum of 200-300 quality watts from a high current amp from say possibly Classe or Krell (my rotel need not apply) for the MMG's to rock.

Then mate them with a high quality sub from the likes of ERA, REL, MartinLogan, etc. etc. etc.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2766
sub that costs twice the cost of the mains.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2767
Oops, sorry, mates, half a post there.
A nice set-up where your mains can be be backed up by a

Gold Member

Post Number: 2768
and powered by a krell

Silver Member
Username: Kano

BC Canada

Post Number: 996
Nuck, you can edit your posts by selecting "Your Account" from the top right - as long as no posts were made afterwards... like this one.

Gold Member

New York USA

Post Number: 1167
LOL!!!

yeah. tell me about it!

I would love to throw in the krell intergrated into the mix, but right now I am tossing around the idea of possibly purchasing a second hand pair of wilson audio cubs.

Bronze Member
Username: Stefanom

Dublin, CA United States

Post Number: 11
I envy you.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us