TEAC Stainless Polish SP-1

Bronze Member
Username: Blazingarrow74

Chicago, IL U.S.A.

Post Number: 44
Hey Everyone ... I recently came across an old bottle of this stuff, orange and translucent, however there are only about 14 ml left in the bottle ... I personally have never used the prouct, I believe it was my father's or one of his buddies' ...

I have heard of the legendary SP-3 formula and I was initially excited, thinking that this was the same formula or a comparable offshoot ... Is it !?

Since there is so little left, I probably will use it exclusively when needed ... but when is it needed ? ... When is it any better than 95% Isopropyl Alcohol for the tape head? ... Is it safe for the erase head ? ... I have looked for documentation regarding it's properites and uses, but have come up dry ...

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 8112
Why would you use a "polish for stainless steel" for cleaning tape heads? It is a polish, not a cleaner.

Bronze Member

Chicago, IL U.S.A.

Post Number: 46
Okay Berny ... thanks for reminding me that I can't read ... I doubt many of us would use a rusty or corroded head(s) to play our tapes, and I have never seen a dull-looking head in my life ... I was under the impression that the polish has cleasing properties, no ? ... Just as you can wash your car with Palmolive and Hot Water and achieve great results, you can also use Turtle Wax Wash (with waxing properties mixed into the wash) and achieve even better results ...

So I guess the question I should be asking is this ... What is the point of polishing a head, if it can simply be cleaned ... does it make a performance difference, or is it simply an aesthetic choice ?

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 8176
LOL...no harshness intended:-)
I wouldn't use any harsh chemicals on the tape heads, though. It has been a while since I used a tape deck, but I remember the warning on the manual of the Technics tape deck I use, never to use harsh chemicals when cleaning the tape heads

Bronze Member

Chicago, IL U.S.A.

Post Number: 48
LOL ... Thanks Berny, no malignant sarcasm intended ... I just should note that the TEAC bottle says "DIRECTIONS: This fluid is specially formulated to clean and polish the face plate and bright metal parts of your tape recorder." It then goes on to say that it should be initially applied with a soft cloth to remove fingerprints (haha ... who's touching their heads !!?) and soil ... and finally buff with a new, clean cloth ...

... I was just thinking if TEAC made for all bright, metal parts including the face plate ... it must not be too special after all ... haha ... I once heard of a legendary fluid manufactured by TEAC: SP-3 ... it had the properties of filling in the microscopic degradations in the tape heads' outer layer, extending the life of a head well beyond the average human lifespan ...

Well Berny, I'll most probably mothball-it ... and hopefully when I'm 70, I'll still be listening to my Nak ... and thus have some use for it .... Thanks Again Buddy ...
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us