NAD vs Cambridge Audio CDP's

Username: Audioc

Post Number: 9
I recently auditioned the 640C v2 from Cambridge audio - I thought it was quite detailed and very nimble in terms of playing the tracks (delay was very short). I auditioned it with the 540A v2 integrated amp. The dealer said that the 640 v2 performed better than many cd players much, much more expensive.

What he also said however is that he very often needs to fix NAD cd players. His take home message was to stay away from them based upon their propensity for breakdown.

My impression has been, based mostly upon forums and reviews, that the NAD cd players are very highly regarded and a great product to have. Has anyone else heard of problems with NAD CD players? Comparison's with Cambridge Audio?

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 3247
I owned an NAD C542 for quite awhile and never had a problem. If you like the Cambridge why not go for it. They make very good value disc players that are certainly in the same league with the NAD's.

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 2493
I, your dealers opinion and 3$ will get you a cup of coffee.

I have not seen anyone with NAd cd problems, they are well sorted products.

Receivers may be different.

I would have no fear of a NAd cdp, myself.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2494
In fact, I was to choose between the 542 and the Rotel1072 cdp.
I chose the Rotel(accuracy), over the NAd, but the Rega(planet) was just coming out.

Username: Bonzo

SydneyAustralia

Post Number: 1
I have a NAD C542 and I haven't had one issue with it... I'm really happy with it. Btw, I also have the NAD C162/C272 pre-power amp combo (which I also am very happy with). However a little while ago the power amp started to make some very low-level intermittent static noise (audible through the speakers when no audio signal present). Being under warranty I took it to my local NAD repairer (which also happens to be the local distributor for NAD here in Sydney, Australia) and it was repaired and back home in under 24 hours! Excellent service! And since then it also has been flawless in its operation.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2506
Excellent, Bonzo!
We all love quality service!
Shouldn't we all get that service steady?

Username: Daniel_canada

Canada

Post Number: 2
Buy what sounds best and is in your budget.

Silver Member
Username: Uback007

Post Number: 109
did you get one yet, Freumbunski?

Username: Audioc

Post Number: 10
Hey Ub,
I haven't taken the plunge yet. There are other pressing financial matters right now - so I think things will be on the backburner for a while. I have to say though, I am a bit confused with where I should be going - is it reasonable to invest in something like CA products or should I save my money, wait a while and get something a little more high end - bryston etc. There probably is no right answer.......

Silver Member

Canada

Post Number: 238
No matter what you buy, after time you want more. Kinda like money, always want more.

Gold Member

Post Number: 4933
Things a bit slow up there, Dan?
hehe

Silver Member

Canada

Post Number: 240
Nah, busy now. No time to listen to the P3 for a short while. :-(
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums