No sound from left channel- same prob w/2 amps

Username: Hanson

CT

Post Number: 1
hi gang-
think i have an interesting one for you. i'm not getting any sound out of the front left channel speaker.

equipment: Adcom GFA7000, GTP600, GDD-1, line conditioner, Sony DVP-S7700, Snell Type e IV, psb subsonic II (yeah, all a little bit dated now)

-the speaker is getting power because i can hear the brief static when i connect the cable.
-i tried connecting another speaker to the same amp channel and got the same result.
-i've tried different sources, same thing
-tried unplugging everything for 1/2 hour, so doubt that its static related
-no error light on the amp

Here's the catch- i had the Adcom GFA6000 amp before this, and the exact same thing happened. i don't think its my electrical in the house, because the first amp's left channel went in my previous apartment.

Any thoughts as to what could be causing this? or how to resolve it? Is this common with Adcom amps, or do you think its somewhere in my setup (maybe its another cable?)

thanks all. appreciate your feedback.

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 2369
Perhaps 10 'Hail Mary's'
Or an exorcism?
Kidding.
Have you looked into the speaker cables?
Did you switch the speakers? Neither was mentioned, although no doubt you tried.
That is a nice setup.
You mention static, was the power on when you made the connection?
If not, there is a whole lotta carpet power going on, not that the static would cause your present dilema.
Steve what cables are feeding the amp? And speaker wire, is it uni or omni directional?

I think check your speaker wire, this coming to mind because I had monster omni feeding my center and found one day that it was (no surprise) reversed.
I honestly never would have believed it mattered.
It did.
Maybe a bad vibe with the speaker cable?

Please let us know.

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 8361

There's not enough information given to even begin a guesing game. "Electrical" problems don't pick which channel to affect. Did anything precede this interruption in output? Anything that might be consistent with both incidents? Was all the same equipment used with the other amplifier? Did you have the other amplifier repaired or just replaced? If it was repaired, did the tech give any indication what was done to the amp to make it serviceable? Did the tech give any indication what might have caused the problem in the first amp? Have you tried the non-functioning left channel speaker on another channel? Does anything you do resolve the problem temporarily? Have you tried a different pre amp output into this channel?

Offhand I'd say you should do some more trouble shooting to get a better idea where the problem might exist.

Username: Hanson

CT

Post Number: 2
thanks for your responses. I'll try to give you some more info:

Nuck-
-I switched the speaker cable when i tried the other speaker- same thing.
-Power was on when i made the connection from the wire back to the amp. static response was brief-just a slight pop.
-System is on bare wood floor- no carpeting around.
-The speaker wires is monster- same ones for years. i'll try to reverse it and see if there's a change, but its been fine in its current set up for 2yrs.

Jan-
-No event preceded the outage. it just didn't work one day. the other 4 channels work.
-I had the exact same equipment with the other amp. i didn't repair the other GFA6000- i traded a buddy for the GFA7000 and have the GFA6000 back in its box in my closet.
-Tried the left main on another channel- it works.
-Nothing resolves it temporarily.
-Have not tried a different preamp output into the channel. i'm going to try that next. it could be a bad wire between those. that would be make a lot of sense. unfortunately, i wrapped those wires so nicely with ties that i can't get at them...

Ok thanks guys- i appreciate the support. will let you know how it goes after i mess with it again tomorrow night.

-Steve

Username: Zoolicious

Sydney, NSW Australia

I have the same problem with my Sherwood Surround amp... but mine is the Rear Left??? lol

When I turn the unit completely off and back on.... it works for about 5 mins and turns off???

Would any one have any clues on that situation?

Regards,
Gregg (Australia)

Gold Member

Post Number: 2394
Any resolution, Hanson?

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 8403

GR - Once again you've provided us no information to use other than, "It doesn't work right." I almost always hate to sound like a scolding parent, but, if you've posted on this thread, I assume you've read the suggestions given to Hanson for troubleshooting. Have you tried any of these solutions? Have you done any troubleshooting? If so, what are the results? Without more information all we can provide in response is the suggestion you have it repaired.

Bronze Member
Username: Emdawg12345

Post Number: 43
http://www.rotteneggs.com/?refid=182315 ur lucky kus this has some info about ur problem

Silver Member
Username: Dakulis

Spokane, Washington United States

Post Number: 944
TK,

It's time to go back to school, your mommy is calling.

Username: Zoolicious

Sydney, NSW Australia

Well ... I have followed the same process as you tried to with Hanson ... and Guess what ... It helped him as much as it helped me !

I still have the problem, and looking into it thanks to some Techies I know.

Will keep you posted and thanks for the pointless link ... lol

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 8691
GR - I guess you didn't take my response to you to heart. Now you blame us for giving no information when you provided nothing to work with. Speaking for those who have contributed to this pointless link, don't bother keeping us informed. You do such a poor job of disseminating information your responses aren't worth the time it takes to scroll past them. Post your findings on another forum.

Username: Oztech2006

Sydney, NSW Australia

A couple of fault finding tips to isolate the area where the problem be
1 - If you touch a finger to the center 'hot' pin of the RCA (phono) plug on an input lead you will usually hear a hum or buzz - you can use this a quick and dirty test signal.
2 - If the amp has an output stage direct input you can try this trick to see if the output stage is working, checking first with the working channel to confirm that theres an audible hum.
3 - connect the pre-out or rec out from the preamp stage to anouther amp - this can even be a crappy set of computer speakers - your just seeing if theres any signal.
This may not solve your problem but at least it will isolate it and allow you to better describe the fault to a repair tech.
Good luck

Gold Member

Post Number: 3577
Hello Peter, nice to meet you.

Username: Oztech2006

Sydney, NSW Australia

A pleasure Nuck thanks for the greeting.
Also as a note regarding the intermittent Sherwood Amp - Im working on one at the moment which a has a large number of failed solder joints with hair line cracks surrounding the commponent legs. Such joints typically produce temperature sensitive faults.
The problem can be localised with a can of freeze spray and a hair drier to cycle the amp from hot to cold - Heat it till it fails then use short spot bursts of the spray to chill small areas till the amp starts working again - repeat to identify the particular joint or component.
Also its worth inspecting the whole track side of the board with a magnifier and resoldering (POWER OFF AND UNPLUGGED) any joints that show a crack or 'frosty' looking circle round the component leg. Ive observed the same problem with a few Sony amps and it seems to relate to either the soldering technique and /or solder composition plus ageing and flexing of the boards (as you might get with transport perhaps).
Happy Fault finding

Gold Member

Post Number: 3628
Ahh, a technician in the midst...
You know PJ that you will be bombarded with q's, if anyone is smart enough.
I poke around a bit meself.

Silver Member
Username: Daniel_canada

Canada

Post Number: 178
Maybe it's your ears and not the audio gear. :-)
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us