Ling's

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 2344
I happily received a package from Tim this am, via post.USPS, Canada post and the Great Pumpkin got them here and circumvented Canada Customs, surprisingly denying the bahstahds some more of my money.(but I digress).

The speakers arrived double boxed with corner styrofoam protectors, and a surprising amount of Seattle news.
Opening the units, I found such a wonderful wood finish, VERY soft and open cell grilles and quite sturdy binding posts, all screws tightened down. Understand that these speakers are broken in and previously enjoyed, but Tim took the care to screw down the posts before shipping.
How cool is that?

My intent is to mount the Ling's on stands at the computer, but I have no stands as of yet, and no space either.

So, I figgured to try the Ling's downstairs for a bit.
The set-up is not ideal by any means. The Ling's are perched on top of the floorstanders, about 2" above ear.(I doubled up the couch cushions).
The speakers rear into small rooms full of stuff(laundry room one side, storage on the other), and are 8' apart, with an 8' listening distance, perfect triangle (I cannot see the sides of the speakers).
I used the Rotel cdp, H/K receiver(pre, flat) and Rotel 985 amp.
The first choice of program was from Jan's Emma cd, tracks 4 and 5, the Elvis.(no, I cannot name them).
Running, I would guess, 10w per, off I go.

Yup.

Amazing. Fabulous. A completely different sound and look than I am used to. With stereo seperation provided by the recording(top drawer),The little Ling's were astute, accurate and involved. Exactly what I would expect with the Rotel stuff, which I usually describe as the same. SUCH a nice combination(for me).

When I went upstairs to tell Mrs. Nuck, I found something completely different.
Bass.
The little darlin's were filling the upstairs with bass. The open space behind the Ling's was having an enormous effect in the rear spaces, and my house being a little different from most(no surprise in Nuckville), The effect is one of surprising fullness upstairs.

Next I ran Steven Stills sweet Judy blue eyes.
Lovely, less response from the Ling's requiring a little bump in power, and the Lings responded wonderfully. With a little bump in power, the speakers sounded more full, robust and anxious than I expected.
These speakers are very,very quick.

The articulation of the Rotel stuff really works well with the Ling's. After adding some sub (for front listening) the sound rounded out quite well for me (although my subs are rotten).
Bass is 2x12 Technics boxes, powered by Technics receiver.Ouch.

I hope to get the Lings upstairs this aft, powered by the T-amp and laptop, however, I am a bit concered with placement, now knowing the port power of the speakers, and the room is quite open(if small, listening area 15 square).

Thanks Tim, the speakers are beautiful, effective and simple.

Mrs. Nuck had a listen with her self admitted 'tin ear' and enjoyed Elvis.
She suggested the Ling's by themselves instead of with the center channel.
It was in Stereo.

Silver Member
Username: Timn8ter

Seattle, WA USA

Post Number: 899
Thanks Nuck, I thought you might like them.
I love it when people think the center channel is on when it's not.

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 8354

Hey, for someone known for shameless self promotion, how'd you let this slip by?

http://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue22/awards_2005.htm

Alegria Audio Ling bookshelf loudspeakers

"They're not the last word in anything--but at $349 a pair (recently reduced from $399), you wouldn't expect them to be. However, these hand crafted, magnetically shielded stand-mounts do a remarkable impression of floorstanding speakers with their giant soundstage and shockingly deep, tight bass reproduction. Highs sparkle though the midrange is somewhat recessed. The resulting balance is not unlike that of a good moving coil phono cartridge: airy, spacious and dramatic. The small batch Lings have a true "craft-brewed" look and sound that may not appeal to everyone, but those who've been seeking big box sound from a compact speaker will find much to love here at a ridiculously affordable price."

That's some mighty impressive company you've been keeping secret, Tim. I couldn't afford half that stuff if I owned Exxon stock. Congratualtions! Now, what are you going to do about cabinets?

Silver Member

Seattle, WA USA

Post Number: 900
Ah yeah, you caught me.
I'm working on partnering with another retailer to get cabinets built in volume. It's going to take some time but hopefully the first of the new cabinets will be showing up in June. On the subject of shameless self-promotion, I've spent a great deal of time and money tweaking the crossovers and other internals in the Ling, Rosa and Emma to take care of some shortcomings while maintaining strengths. I believe I've succeeded. All models purchased from this point will have the new crossover designs.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2353
So, what I got the end of the line?

I like the end of the line, boken in and doing exactly what I expected and living up to the expectations.

1 after 909 never sounded so fine.

Silver Member
Username: Bvan

Cape Town, Copenhagen,...

Post Number: 157
hi tim, is there any chance of getting my hands on a pair of lings from as far a field as australia?

cheers

b,.

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 3192
Note that just above the Lings write up at the Positive Feedback link are a few nice words about my recently acquired amp.

Silver Member

Seattle, WA USA

Post Number: 901
That's a tough one Bvan, unless you're willing to handle all the shipping costs, or you travel to Manila on occasion. There should be some at the Manila Hi-Fi Show in November. I won't be there until February and I do have a brother-in-law in Melbourne......

Gold Member

Post Number: 2358
Indeed Art, things are good, and your PL2 is good on paper.
And if the sound is as of such a high quality as your post, sir! I would offer a long distance tip o' the glass!.

I may yet look into the Tim/Dave conflaguration.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2359
And I hope you enjoyed my Ling opener as much as I enjoyed typing/living it.

Very very nice sound!.

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 8357

Tim - Did you get the CD?

Silver Member

Seattle, WA USA

Post Number: 902
Yes I did Jan, thank you very much! I was astounded by some of your choices. A surprising array of sounds. Kudos!

Thanks again for the post Nuck.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2363
Cheers!

Silver Member
Username: Eld

Texas

Post Number: 183
Congrats, Nuck!

Sounds like you really got a nice pair of speakers. One of these days, I want to go visit Tim's shop and check out all his nifty creations.

Tell Mrs. Nuck that she is not alone, my wife admits she can't hear half the changes I do to my system.

Silver Member

Post Number: 158
Tim, thats what i was thinking, picking up shipping costs. everything in oz has massive markups anyway. if you got a rough idea what it would cost let me know.

but no hurry, this would be for a second system a few months down the line.

thanks

b.

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 8365

"Note that just above the Lings write up at the Positive Feedback link are a few nice words about my recently acquired amp."

That's the problem with using gear that's thirty and forty years old. They never get "Product of the Year" awards any longer. Oh, well, I still have my belt buckle shaped like a Maxell cassette tape, my Dolby "B" alignment tapes and my brass plated Tandberg crossfield head plaque.

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 8366

Oh, yeah, and my jacket from "Luxman Home Entertainment" products. It's the best factory perk I ever got and one of the best products Luxman ever turned out.

Gold Member
Username: Gavincumm

New York USA

Post Number: 1032
Tim,

I would be interested in hearing your comments on this one...

have you ever heard the song "turn around" by Enigma? It is electro-pop with vocals so hevily vocoded poor speaker designs make it sound like mush. Not to mention the soundscape is swirling all around in space, with pretty deep bass to boot, along with the traditional enigma fare, such as a wood flute and the sighing female voice.

This is one of my all time favorite test tracks, aside from the usual Diana Krall.

There are a few speakers that I have heard pass this one:

Paradigm Sig. S2
Martinlogans
Wilson Audios
Magnepans
Thiels

Im sure there are more that would do it justice, but these are the ones that I believe are splendid at seperating the vocoder from the mix, and not mushing everything together.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 3205
"Oh, yeah, and my jacket from "Luxman Home Entertainment" products. It's the best factory perk I ever got and one of the best products Luxman ever turned out."

LOL.....

Actually the PPL2 won the HiFi+ product of the year a couple of years back.

Gold Member

New York USA

Post Number: 1035
Jan,

then you will get a kick out of this...

a guy I used to talk to in the Rochester NY area raved about his awesome audio system. It was Bose 901's paired with Luxman amplification. I can't remember what series, but I think they were gold or nickel plated possibly. It looked like it. It was a couple of years ago, but I remembered him saying it was Luxman.

needless to say, I no longer talk to him... insisted he knew way more than I did...

Gold Member

New York USA

Post Number: 1036
the sound from the system was...

*interesting*

the bass was so loose the hotdog in a hallway analogy came to mind.

Silver Member

Seattle, WA USA

Post Number: 903
"have you ever heard the song "turn around" by Enigma?"

I don't believe I have. I'm certainly willing to give it a spin.

Silver Member

Seattle, WA USA

Post Number: 904
Just ordered Enigma and the reissue of My Life In The Bush Of Ghosts. Thanks for the tip.

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 8370

Gosh, Art, you're making me feel so inferior. Did your amplifier win the 100 yard dash at State also? Spelling Bee champ? Pillsbury Bake Off?

Tim - Forget the congrats, I suspect no one will see your product mentioned as they will be too busy reading about Art's amplifier.

Psst, Art, the thread is about Tim's speakers, not your amplifier. Congratulations to you and eveyone else who buys a highly recommended product but I think we're trying to gin up some support for Tim's speakers here. Tell us how good the Lings sounded with your tubes and that will work well.

Gavin, it doesn't sound like your friend owned any of the really good Lux gear. But, if he owned Luxman tube amplifiers, he just might have known more than you think.

Unfortunately, very little of the truly decent Lux equipment made it to the US. They relied heavily on receivers with hidden panels. But this jacket I have is really nice. It is just the right weight for Dallas winters and after twenty years still looks almost brand new and has never required new tubes. I highly recommend it.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 3207
Jan, sorry to offend your highness. It appeared that the thread was about Lings, Luxman, Enigma, Magnepans and whole host of other things. I feel privileged that you took the time out to single me out to attempt to humiliate. I do my best to get along with you and stay out of your way Jan but it appears that anything shy of worship doesn't work for you. Again, I'm sorry Jan and Nuck (it is Nuck's thread isn't it) for getting in the way....

No need to respond I'm outta here...

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 8373

Art, should you decide to check back, yes, the thread had many elements. After your initial post. But, overall the thread and most particularly my link to Tim's award would appear to be the important aspect of a thread titled "Ling's". If you felt singled out, possibly it would be because you persisted in drawing attention to yourself, Art. You can't really think I wanted someone to congratulate me for owning a belt buckle. If you had acknowledged Tim's achievement just a little bit before asking for someone to say how wonderful your amplifier is, probably I wouldn't have even cared.

Tim has worked long and hard and invested substantial amounts of money, time and pride into developing a product that has garnered some recognition in a very, very competitive field. I think he deserves something more than a "look what I can do". You bought an amplifier that everyone knows is a good product. Congratulations. Tim educated himself, designed, built and brought to market a product that won an award that will be seen by thousands of people. I've got a bit of an idea just how tough that is in this market. There's always someone ready to knock you down a peg or two. You should know that, Art, and I can't imagine why you chose not to give Tim some credit.

There's a bit of difference in your's and Tim's achievement. If someone told me their child had become valedictorian at Yale, I would think that was great. You, however, would chime in that you had rented "Honey, I Shrunk the Kids". If you can't see that what you managed isn't in the same league as what Tim accomplished, there's not much hope.

Once again someone apparently wants me to apologize for my behaviour. And, once again, it's not going to happen. Art, you were extremely rude to not at least give some credit to Tim. Why? I don't know. I think you owe him an apology. If you won't, I will. Tim, I'm sorry this turned into a family squabble. I think it's great that you and the Lings were recognized in a widely read and respected web magazine. As I said, you are in some serious company there. Congratulations and keep up the good work. There are lots of folks here at eCoustics that wish you the best and appreciate your many assists during the past months. I'm sure Art is one of them and you know I am.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 3208
I don't know Tim nor have I heard his speakers. I have talked with Nuck about his experience with them and he's enjoying them.

I'm sorry you feel that all of the above was necessary.

I was not trying to draw attention to myself at the expense of Tim or anyone else. I merely pointed out what I thought was an interesting coincidence, a paragraph about my amp just above Tim's speakers. Which Nuck, who's post it is to begin with, not Tim's, responded to. Then several posts later (as I had bowed out since I know nothing of Tim's speakers) you responded with comments about your older gear not winning awards lately. I thought your second post about the Luxman was funny and I commented on it as well as the coincidence (once again) that my amp had actually won an award sometime back. How you could turn that into some kind self serving attention seeking behavior on my part I'm not sure.

When I first mentioned the paragraph above Tim's I knew my audience, who was Nuck and who I know is interested in a tube amp. Nothing more, nothing less.

"There's a bit of difference in your's and Tim's achievement."

What achievement? Did I claim one?

I can't imagine why you chose not to give Tim some credit.

I have in the past defended Tim vigorously, if you'll think back to when the Ascend exec entered our forum. But again this was Nuck's thread and one that I only skimmed much like I do most of the threads here. I'm not going to apologize either. I'm sure Tim's speaker are very nice but I have not heard them and won't until they are either in a store near me or I'm near them.

"If you felt singled out, possibly it would be because you persisted in drawing attention to yourself, Art. You can't really think I wanted someone to congratulate me for owning a belt buckle. If you had acknowledged Tim's achievement just a little bit before asking for someone to say how wonderful your amplifier is, probably I wouldn't have even cared."

Two posts Jan, that's all. One of them in response to a post from you.

"Art, you were extremely rude to not at least give some credit to Tim."

As are you for assuming that I would not have.

Silver Member
Username: Kano

BC Canada

Post Number: 930
First, Tim, congratulations on your speakers being acknowledged on the award page.

Second, thank you Jan for allowing me to post the following message.

I, for one, appreciate you pointing out the write-up on your tube amplifier Art, while some of our more elite posters may have been there done that many decades ago, I am still just a beginner in the audio world and would consider such a product for a 2 channel system in my future.

If this were a forum which ever stayed on topic I could see where Jan was coming from, but it is far from. Also I believe giving Tim credit for his accomplishment is a given, must every poster in the thread provide accolades 20-30...100 posts later?

Finally, its Nuck's thread, should he not be the one to "man the helm?" I highly doubt Nuck would have a problem with a thread going off topic.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 3209
Thank you Kano.

You are right that it is a given that Tim's write up is a wonderful accomplishment. I wish Tim and Jan for that matter nothing but the best but I saw no harm in an off topic comment we (all of us here) do it all of the time.

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 8374

Then it's over and we go on.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 3210
OK.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2377
Never saw that coming!

Gold Member

Post Number: 2378
I did get to set-up the Lings at the computer desk.
The T-amp is powered by alkalyne batteries, The Ling's are linked to the T with 16g monster directional cables.

The little amp made me open each volume control in my Dell Latitude laptop, and have each at about 9.
The speakers work remarkably well, given the set-up(speakers flat on the outside edges of the very heavy tabletop), 1 meter listening distance, and questionable source.

I opened with a collection of classics, on a cartoon cd.
Some Verdi, Strauss.
Morning noon and night in Vienna.
The near field setup is going to be touchy to bring out the best.
I am going to make some stands for the Ling's and move them off of the tabletop, adding a bit of distance.

I left the session a bit short, had to pack bags, so I have a little time now to imagine a fair set of stands.

The volume limitations are no surprise, of course, this having been covered quite well.
The efficiency of the Ling's is not a question mark, either.
However, for neir field, and certainly for smooth detailed listening(at this price!), I will and have already once recommended the combination.
(It helps that the Ling's were deeply discounted).But list price does not seem out of line for such a happily crafted pair of speakers.

Me like!

Gold Member

New York USA

Post Number: 1041
jan,

the highs from the system that I was referring with the luxman and 901's weren't what I would expect from a tube based system, being brash and in your face.

the only thing I can think of is the highs were almost like a PA

Silver Member

Seattle, WA USA

Post Number: 905
"a happily crafted pair of speakers."

With a happy name!

"The T-amp is powered by alkalyne batteries,"

Something a little beefier may help. I'm using a 12V 1500mA wall wart.

Silver Member
Username: Dakulis

Spokane, Washington United States

Post Number: 926
Tim,congratulations for the award and recognition for the Lings.

Art, congratulations on the purchasing decision on the PL2, or for that matter on any any tube amp. TOOBS ROOL!!!!

Me. I won a couple of 100 yard dashes, a couple of 220s and a fair number of long jumps, back when it was still the running broad jump. (It was much easier to jump standing broads, BTW.) And, I got the ribbons to prove it, not for jumping standing broads, though. LOL

But, I don't have a T-Amp and I haven't yet cut a deal with the elusive "Joe," the Dared importer, although we're still trying at this point.

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 8380

Dak - I'm still waiting for your address so I can send an Emma CD.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2379
I am familiar with the options, Tim, thanks.

It will be 2 weeks until I get home to try, though.

Silver Member

Post Number: 160
i'm intregued, whats the emma cd?

b.

Silver Member

Seattle, WA USA

Post Number: 906
A test CD Jan created. It starts out with LF test tones and a voice announcing the frequency of the tone, then progresses into an assortment of music that does a good job of testing the system including some interesting Elvis recordings.

Silver Member

Post Number: 161
elvis, thats interesting. is it well recorded or just good music? i wouldnt have guessed elvis to hold much sonically?

if anyone here is in need of some good electronic music to test a system with i'd be ahppy to send off a cd or two. thats about all i can bring to the party.

b.

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 8384

There have been some slight revisions to creat a version two of the Emma Demo CD but the overall contents on the disc can be found here; https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/products/reviews/186180.html

Don't discount older recordings as having poor sound quality. The recording techniques were very simple back when Elvis started his career and this is often a benefit to sound quality. Check out the many excellent Mercury, RCA, Verve, Columbia, etc. recordings from the 1950's and '60's. These were made with simple techniques and have remained hallmarks of audio excellence for half a century.

Silver Member

Post Number: 162
i think its cause the only time i hear elvis is on my dad's 30 year old technics hifi.

got a jose feliciano rca album this week that must be nearly 40 years old and the sound quality is really good.

it seems strange that there is no noticable improvemt in cd sound quality the last 20 years. at least i dont notice any obvious trend for the better though my cd collection. listing to one of my older disks, 'brothers in arms', had me thinking this just yesterday.

b.

Silver Member

Seattle, WA USA

Post Number: 907
It is strange, and a bit disheartening too. The technology exists but the industry lacks the motivation to use it. After all, why should they when they can sell mediocre quality Brittney CDs by the millons but can't move SACD or DVD-A to save their lives?
One example that hit hard recently was the latest release from Beth Orton. Her previous material had be produced in England. Sounded great. The latest came out of New York and sounds like low bit MP3. I was extremely disappointed.
I'm thankful for people like Winston Ma who produce the highest quality CDs in spite of market trends.
http://www.fimpression.com

Silver Member
Username: Kano

BC Canada

Post Number: 932
I bought Elvis' Greatest Hits on DVD-A and was VERY surprised by the quality of the recordings. It's funny that so much material in between now and then comes no where close to the same level of quality. Also Sinatra at the Sands DVD-A was amazing given the fact it was a live recording and how long ago it was done.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us