Bookshelves vs. Surround spkrs?

Username: Rob7

TUCSON, ARIZONA USA

Post Number: 3
Hoping to get some info regarding rear surround speakers. Is there any significant difference between bookshelf spkrs and actual surround spkrs? I'm trying to decide between the Monitor Audio S2s or the Monitor Audio SFX. I have the S8s. Would one be that much better over the other one? Primarily used for movies.

Any info/opinions appreciated.

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 2158
Are you running 5.1, Rob?

TUCSON, ARIZONA USA

Post Number: 4
Yes. 5.1. Not looking to move to 6.1/7.1 anytime soon. Speakers would be to the side of the viewing area. SFX are sealed and have 2 tweeters-one on each side with woofer in the center. S2s are rear ported. I have a sub.

Thanks.

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 3021
If you will be listening to any multichannel music like SACD or DVD-A you may want to stick to direct firing speakers as the more similar all the speakers are the better for that application. For movies either works well. Some folks prefer the sound of the di/bipole speakers and others the direct it's really a matter of personal choice. I always preferred direct before I went back to 2 channel.

TUCSON, ARIZONA USA

Post Number: 5
I listen to 2-channel for music. There are very limited options in my area for auditioning at showrooms or trying them at home. No one here stocks the MA line.

Thanks for the info.

Gold Member
Username: Illuminator

USA

Post Number: 2870
Kyle,

You're using two channel sound now? I am as well, but what did you do as far as low frequencies are concerned? Do you have the left and right playing them or did you purchase a sub? In essence, how many speakers do you have hooked up?

EDIT: I realize I should have started a new thread for this. My bad.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 3042
Please call me Art,

I use a very good sealed sub with my Paradigm Studio 20v3's.

Please refer to my profile for more detail on my system.

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 2873
An Era Design Sub 10? Wow, that thing is what, 70lbs or so? Man those are heavy and hard to find. Impressive!

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 3043
I love it! It's extraorinarily musical. Reputed to have been designed by Michael Kelly's design team (of Aerial Acoustics) to compete with the best REL subs at a lower cost. I've owned alot of subs, all the way up to the B&W ASW750 and this Era can't be beat for anywhere near the money. I have the piano gloss black model. Oh it IS heavy...wow! BTW I had the demo home until mine arrived...it was one of the very first built.

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 2876
How much was it and where did you purchase it?

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 3044
It was $1099 (they don't list the piano gloss black one in the price list as it is $100 extra for that finish) and I bought it at Bradford's in Eugene, Oregon.

http://www.bradfordshifi.com/
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us