Earth loop

Bronze Member
Username: Kinggimp82

Post Number: 36
hello i think i may have an earth loop. i have my pc connected to my receiver for music and im getting a loud humm from the speakers. i have had this problem before but one day the sound just disapeared and i have no idea why. everything was fine untill yesterday when i hooked up a new dvd player and then the sound returned. obviously i broke the earth loop before. how would i go about getting rid of the humm? heres a picture of my setup

thanks,
andrew

Upload

Silver Member
Username: Dakulis

Spokane, Washington United States

Post Number: 907
You could try this set-up in outer space.

However, it would really help if we had a complete wiring diagram of your electrical system so we could see where your ground problem might lie. You're probably getting a back feed from the PC to the receiver.

Is your cable box hooked up to your receiver for surround also? I'm afraid the diagram isn't all that helpful. Thanks, Dave.

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 2139
Although a fine pictoral effort, Andrew.

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 8253

You need to tie all the components to one ground/earth point. From the diagram I can only assume there are at least two AC circuits involved here, possibly three. Bring everything to one ground potential and the problem should be solved.

« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us