Technics SL-B20 turntable - output level extremely low

Username: Michaelwsherman

Allston, MA USA

Post Number: 1
Hey all,

I recently acquired a Technics SL-B20 turntable to replace my old garage sale junker that finally kicked it.

When I went to set up the SL-B20, the output level from the turntable was extremely low. Even when I cranked the stereo to max, the level of the sound coming out of the speakers was extremely low--about as loud as a pair of headphones would be if they were cranked up to max.

I tested the cables and the inputs, and everything else checks out fine, it is definitely the turntable that's having issues. And I am definitely getting signal, this isn't just the sound the needle is making on the vinyl.

I've looked online and on this board, and it seems that other people have had this issue with Technics turntables from the 80s, but I was unable to find any advice on what to do. I'm planning on opening the thing up and trying to find a loose connection, but before I did that I thought I'd ask around.

Thanks for reading. All help is appreciated.

Gold Member
Username: Stu_pitt

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 1109
This question gets asked every few weeks. I'm willing to bet that you don't have a phono pre-amp or a true phono input on your pre-amp/receiver.

Allston, MA USA

Post Number: 2
Thanks for the reply. I must have missed previous discussion. I feel dumb.

So any recommendations for a good phono pre-amp? I'm going through an old component stero, so top of the line hi-fi is not necessary, unless it's cheap. I also plan on putting my vinyls to mp3 eventually.

Thanks again for the reply. It is much appreciated.

Gold Member

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 1111
Michael,
Sorry if I sounded rude. That wasn't my intention.

I don't know what your definition of cheap is, but the most inexpensive ones I know of are the NAD PP2 and and Pro-Ject Phono Box. They're about $120. I own the PP2 and it's a well made good sounding phono pre-amp. I've heard the Pro-Ject is a little more dynamic (lively sounding), yet sounds a little more rough in the higs and lows. I haven't hear it myself, but a lot of people I respect all say the same thing.

The NAD is difficult to find online, but the Pro-Ject can be found easier.

If you're shopping online, try these guys. Ask for Roger. I've bought some LP's their and have had a few conversations with him about a lot of music gear. He know's his stuff and will give you honest recommendations.

http://www.amusicdirect.com/Default.asp?

If you're looking for cheaper phono pre-amps, I've seen them for as little as $25 on the internet. I can't remember brands or websites, but a google search should bring up something. I don't know what kind of build or sound quality you'd get for that price, but I also don't know what you really have in mind either.

BTW, I had a Technics SL-BD2 TT for a while. It's not a bad table at all for the money.

Allston, MA USA

Post Number: 3
Hey, it would have been OK to be rude--I obviously didn't do a very good job of my research. I do appreciate the help.

The NAD PP2 looks good, but I don't know if I'm ready to drop the 120$. I've looked at the ART DJ PRE and the TCC TC400 series and TC700 series. These all run less than $50. Would they be that much worse than the NAD? I'm using a pretty junky system, by primary concern is how they might sound when I'm recording LPs to the PC.

Thanks again.

Gold Member

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 1135
I haven't heard any of the ones you mention and don't know your system, so I really can't say what your best move would be.

You could get the NAD and one of the others and compare them side by side to see which the right one is for you. Just make sure you can return the one you don't want for a refund.

If your system is pretty bad (again, I don't know what you have), it honestly may not make any difference in what you get.

Allston, MA USA

Post Number: 4
Again, thanks for the help. I saw the Phono Box for pretty cheap on ebay and so I went for it. It sounds great.

Now I've got other problems, but I'm going to start a new thread. Now it looks like the needle is maybe toasted.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us