Small wall mounted speakers

Username: 4004pine

Post Number: 1
I am looking to hang wall mounted mini speakers in several bedrooms. These will be mounted on and not in the wall. So far, the best I can find are the Bose 161. These seem ok, albeit the base is only fair. The 161s are also bigger than I would like. Thus far, anything smaller that I have listened to has been horrible. Basically I am seeking the smallest decent sounding speaker that I can find. Thanks.

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 2994
Both the Paradigm Atom and the Titan are built for wall mounting with wall mount kits available from Premier.

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 8212

http://mastersourceaudio.nsmaudio.com/

These are all similar speakers as the companies are all conjoined under one parent umbrella. They are of vastly superior quality to the Bose products and offer an alternative sound to the Paradigms. The Canadian speakers are much brighter and, even with wall placement, less extended in the bass response subjectively. I own the NSM 5S (a discontinued model now, I believe) and find the sound quite good. Check the clearance pages if pristine cosmetics are not of prime concern.

Silver Member
Username: Gavincumm

New York USA

Post Number: 936
try www.orbaudio.com

their speakers are supplimented with a small subwoofer for a rich full sound. The speakers themselves are about the size of a softball, and come in white and black. A beautifil hand finished copper finish, as well as stainless steel are optional, but not that costly.

if you are looking for small speakers, your best bet is to pair them with a small sub for bass, and orb audio is the first speaker company that came to mind.

others that make small speakers with subwoofer suplimentation:

Morel
Gallo Acoustics
Ohm
Paradigm
Cambridge Soundworks
Athena
Klipsch

Are there any others that I forgot about? I will refrain from mentioning Bose, because you can do much better for the price.

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 2997
Let's see, Hawk says Paradigm's are laid back and warm and Jan says that they are bright. Who knows?

With budget being less of an issue the Era loudspeakers are quite possibly the best small loudspeaker on the market.

http://www.upscaleaudio.com/updates/era.htm

http://www.signalpathint.com/

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 8213

No, I said the Paradigms are brighter than the NSM's. The difference is relative to this comparison, though I have often found myself in disagreement with Hawk's evaluation of equipment. That is one reason I seldom make product recommendations. How any one listener perceives sound quality is unlikely to be similar to another person's true preferences. General agreements persist, disagreements abound. I suggest anyone take any product recommendation as nothing more than a personal preference by the person making the suggestion.

Username: 4004pine

Post Number: 2
By the way, thanks guys for chiming in so quickly. Before I follow up on any of your suggestions, I figured I would mention that while price is not the defining element, I would like to keep the cost of a pair under $200 if possible. The Bose 161s sounded ok but with only a fair bass. Perhaps most important, and what I neglected to mention, the receiver and amp for these speakers is in another room, meaning that, as far as I know, there can be no subwoofer in the rooms where these mini speakers will be. Thus, while I am not expecting the impossible, I am hoping to find relatively small speakers with nice high range and a decent bass. I know that will not be easy in my price range but I am just looking to do the best I can. Thanks again, and I will be in touch.

Silver Member
Username: Gavincumm

New York USA

Post Number: 944
you can still use a subwoofer in the same room. You just have to find one with speaker level inputs. These are also often called high level inputs.

The orb audio super8 subwoofer could be used in this way. The classic one stereo speaker setup is $519, which is quite a bit more than what you are looking to spend, but it will sound heads and tails better than the Bose 161's, with rich full sound AND great bass from a sub that measures roughly a square foot.

There are also different mounting options for your purpose.

http://www.orbaudio.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=16

scroll down to see the different finishes.

Silver Member
Username: Hawk

Highlands Ranch, CO USA

Post Number: 782
Art:

Isn't this a great hobby? LOL!!!! Your sense of irony is excellent, however, to be fair, I also think Jan was opining about the Paradigm Cinema series, the small Bose like speakers sold for HT applications. I have never listened to them, so as far as I know, they do sound bright. I have only opined on the Monitor, Studio and Signature Series of speakers.

Pine:

I would also suggest you look into a pair of the KEF 2005 speakers. They are small, egg-shaped speakers I have seen for about $125 each--a bit above your budget, but they sound really good and are very beautiful to look at too. Worth stretching for, IMO. These are the same speakers that are in the KEF 2005.2 system, but you don't want or need the sub and the other three satellites, just a pair as I understand it, so you don't need the whole 2005.2 system. Well, you can get the satellites individually and I seem to recall they retail for $175 each, but I am sure I have seen prices for $125 each.

Good luck!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us