Ready to explode!!"like-new" DENON tt isn't...

Username: Kitasonic

FLA

Post Number: 2
Got a Denon DP-35f off ebay described as LIKE-NEW...and have spent the the last first few hours with it in sheer agony...
After setting up the turntable, I have experienced some problems.
1. The turntable does not start when the start button is pushed. Okay...after a couple hours it did but then it didn't again.
2. At first the tonearm lifter button did not lift the tone arm...tho sometime later same as 1...
3. When the arm is put on the record manually, the needle (Grado GF3) will not sit in the groove at the normal assigned weight of 2 grams. MUCH MORE weight than is recommended for this cartridge must be added to get the needle to sit in the groove which adds audio feedback when the arm gets to the inner grooves.
4. When the arm is lifted off the record, a VERY LOUD audio crackle blasting through the speakers occurs.
5. Then when I got the machine to work the arm SOMETIMES returns to the arm rest WITHOUT lifting, scratching the record as it moves toward the arm rest.
6. The arm does not return to the arm rest when the STOP button is pushed....okay I did get that to work for a while...then not...
7. Is the START/STOP letters supposed to light up like UP/lift and ON/repeat letters...they don't.

Okay...so this tt is NOT "like-new" but before I write a frustrated letter to the seller I thought I'd vent here first.

Thanx for putting up with me...and my first DENON...not my first tt...I've had Duals and a Technics...and 6000+ lps await your help...

Silver Member
Username: Hawk

Highlands Ranch, CO USA

Post Number: 754
Jay:

I feel your pain--sounds like you will be justified to let the seller have it on eBay.

If you have 6000+ lps, I am a very jealous guy. I would simply suggest you get a good turntable for that collection--check this one out:
http://www.needledoctor.com/s.nl/sc.2/category.46/it.A/id.3358/.f

Gold Member
Username: Stu_pitt

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 1077
That really sucks. Sorry to hear it.

Gold Member
Username: Stu_pitt

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 1078
Not to drive any salt in the wound here, but that's why I stay away from EPray and used gear that I can't physically inspect.

The Debut is a great table and suggestion Hawk. May I add the ProJect Xpression if funds allow it? For $200 or so more, it's a far better table in every way. I started out with a Debut III, then traded up for the Xpression.

Username: Kitasonic

FLA

Post Number: 3
Need to update...the seller took it back...FedEx paid return del. based on my description...seller refunded all costs...the issue here and my recommendation to all, is to avoid buying from Ebay STORES...they take goods and describe them on the say-so of the seller and don't test to confirm (which was said to be "like new")...the case here...the Ebay Store just plugged it in and saw that it powered up...

Anyway...I'm back to using my Technics SL-D2, for now...I've a couple of Duals that I'm going to refurbish...at least THIS way I'll know what I've got...I really would have liked to keep the Denon...what I could hear of the Grado cartridge sounded very nice...a bit smoother than the Shure in my SL...

finally, thanks for your sympathies and recommendations...
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us