Bose speakers

Username: Hightechdan

Post Number: 1
I have a Bose Lifestyles 12 system that I am looking to upgrade because the Bose does not have sufficient inputs for my purposes. I like the sound and looks of the Bose and do not have the money to do upgrade everything at once. First, I want a new receiver and I am looking at the Yamaha RX-V2600. Later on, I will upgrade to better speakers.
Bose says that I cannot connect the satellites to anything but the lifestyle module. But they cannot really explain technically why I cannot connect them to any receiver directly. They also claim that with their accustimass system, I could connect it to any receiver. I cannot see any reason that I would not want low frequencies to be sent to the satellites , because they do not handle lows, but what if there is x-over control?(Does anyone know if they use separate satellites in their accustimass that in their lifestyles system or maybe they are telling me this so I don't get away as a customer?)
My question is as follows:
I am willing to forego the Bose bass module and use a different brand sub for the time being, but can I connect the Bose satellites (5 satellites)directly to the Yamaha receiver. I cannot understand why this could not be done, since the Yamaha receiver allows you choose different crossover setting for sub and speakers. I was thinking I can set the Yamaha speaker setup to "small" and pick a high crossover like 200.
Is there a way that I can still use the lifestyle sub? What signal do I feed into it? Would I be able to send the sub signal from the Yamaha?.
Please help me!

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 1987
Ahhh, the Bose quandry.
I like them and they cost a lot, can I use something else with them?
Why can I not use a regular receiver with them?
Why do we hate Bose here?
One moment, Danny.

Post Number: 5
I already know BOSE suck and trying to get away from them, but I can only upgrade one thing at a time. First is the receiver, I wqant the Yamaha, then some Infinity speakers, or maybe Polk. But I need help now...

Gold Member

Post Number: 1990
The Bose do not wire up to a receiver, so far as I know.
The bass 'module' definately does not.

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 8150

Danny - My suggestion would be to hold off until you can buy the receiver you want and a pair of decent $250 speakers at the same time. The overall upgrade is well worth the effort and added expense even if you place the new speakers on the floor without any stands. Just divest yourself of the Bose all together and start with new components you can build on. Trying to piece meal a Bose system upgrade is somewhat worthless and once you buy the receiver you will be itching to upgrade the speakers as fast as possible. Advertise the Bose as a whole unit and get some money for the new speakers.

Bronze Member
Username: Basicaudio

Chula vista, Ca US

Post Number: 38
I believe fluance on the $250 range is pretty good for HT use. it's a canadian company.
you can always go to audiogon and or ebay even and get a used maggie for that low. Too many choices that are far better than them cheap quality bose.
I don't know any polk or infinity that low unless it's a bookshelf or used vintage.

Silver Member
Username: Gavincumm

New York USA

Post Number: 902
I would reccomend taking a look at speakers from www.orbaudio.com if you like the size of the bose. They are much cheaper than bose, and people that have them swear by them.

Post Number: 6
Thanks for the recommendation, I really appreciate it. I wish someone would have answer my question though (technically)

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 8160

The answer is try it and see what you think. There is no reason I know of that would make anything worse for the trying. I believe the Lifestyle 12 has some signal shaping in the crossover to the main speakers but the most important factor is the very high crossover point from sub to satellites. If you are dissatisfied with the sound, don't try to make it work, just give up on the Bose.

Silver Member
Username: Kano

BC Canada

Post Number: 901
I'd suggest an 8" sub like the Velodyne SPL8II if you plan on keeping this set-up for any amount of time, it would at least help to fill out the sound of the sattelites to a greater degree than a 12" sub would.

Bronze Member

Chula vista, Ca US

Post Number: 40
can't go wrong with velodyne subs no matter what range. Yup, orbs, mirage, kleggs, anthony gallos and the ohm sats are some examples of small but large sounding quality systems. unless you want to use the picture frame, artcoustic! www.artcousticusa.com

Silver Member
Username: Praetorian

Canada

Post Number: 132
Sell the bose on ebay and say they are "broken in", some nut will think that is a good thing...

Gold Member
Username: Stu_pitt

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 1088
You can definately go wrong with some ranges of Velodyne subs. Have you ever been to Circuit City? I've heard Velodynes in their that sound absolutely awful. Even though they weren't placed right, that doesn't account for how bad they sounded. I heard more cabinet resonances than anything else. The bass that came out of it sounded slow and flabby. The first time I heard one I honestly thought it was broken. Hearing the same model in a few different rooms and stores ruled that out.

Hopefully they make better subs up the line.

Gold Member
Username: Edster922

Abubala, Ababala The Occupation

Post Number: 3776
Yep the entry-level Velo VX-10 is pretty bad... I don't think Velodyne gets good until you get into their CHT models, and by that pricepoint you can get much better bang for the buck with an Internet-direct sub like Hsu or SVS since you're paying the retailer's markup for the Velo.

Bronze Member

Chula vista, Ca US

Post Number: 41
I think kano was referring to the high end models of velodyne. after all, this is primarily on the upscale side of things. talking about bose is addressing mid fi, low fi best buy, circuit city stuff, not high end stores!
Lots of things are crappy if your ears are used to FINE QUALITY? I guess you can reverse the procedure, some people are so used to crappy products, they actually think such products sound great, LIKE THEM BOSE FANATICS! I'LL KEEP MY 1970'S KRACOS, AT LEAST EVERYONE KNOWS IT'S CRAPPY! I remember a coworker buying one of those bose computer speakers for $350, and i got my friend to buy the $50 altec lansing satellite sub system which created a much deeper bass and cleaner sound than the bose, it made me sick to my stomach how people are fooled by such insane marketing. The bose satellites with the cheap sub sounded like those $20 generic 10 watt rms systems for computers. Oh, wait a minute? I have one of those on my cheap computer, but at least it has nice glowing lights made in taiwan, the bose didn't have any lights but sounded the same,
CRAPPY! but i guess it makes some people HAPPY!

San Diego, CA Usa

You guys are hilarious.... You are all great at criticizing stuff, but most posters do not know the difference between an ohm and a watt. Some people have a some technical knowledge technically , but for the most part most posters are a bunch of whiners.
For example Stu-Pitt states that placement has nothing to do with how a sub sounds???? How ridiculous is that? You can take a Carver Sunfire EQ Signature Sub (probably the best sub out there at any price), place in the wrong place in the room and the resonances you create will make it sound like cheap Audivox subwoofer. Even the cheapest Velo will sound OK if care is taken to optimize its placement in the room. And then there is Circuit City... They might sell some good stuff there, but no one there know anything about audio equipment they sell. Half the time they do not even know how to operate their demo board. Walmart electronics staff is more knowledgeable than half the circuit city staff, so please, how can you say high end and Circuit City in the same sentence.
You guys need to try to stick to the questions being asked, That is what we are here for, isn't it? So please, if you do not know the answers just say so and move on... The original question on this post was whether Bose Satellites can be connected to any receiver. No one has even attempted to give a half technical answer to that question. I wish there was a truly technical site out there, rather than a whining Board...Some people like the technical aspect of audio, not the whiny side . Happy Listening!

Silver Member

New York USA

Post Number: 925
that post made it clear to me that you are probably a Bose owner defending your purchase :-)

the sunfire signature is NOT the best sub out there.

Wver hear of the Velodyne 1812, Wilson Audio WATCHDog and XS, Martinlogan Statement e2 (has subwoofer TOWERS), Thiel smartsubs, martinlogan depth and decent, REL, ERA, etc. etc. etc.

I could turn this into a debate, but I am not going to waste my timee.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2050
High Tech Dan, you didn't make any advisements at all, just complained about the service here.
Complain Department is on the left, please step over there.

If you would notice, I did advise the OP to try the satellites, and ditch the sub module, so did Jan.

Reading is such a waste of time fir the youngin's.

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 8181

HTD - Nice entry into the forum. Did you make certain to kick the dog and p!ss on the geraniums on the way in?

It would be nice to have some technical answers to questions regarding Bose. However, Bose doesn't allow them. These are the folks who taught George and Dick how to be secretive. I sold Bose products off and on for twenty five years and I can't tell you much about the technical workings of Bose products. Bose reps don't know the technical workings of Bose products and make no attempt to answer a salesperson's questions. Bose customer service reps won't answer technical questions regarding Bose products. Read Danny's original post.

And, any salesperson who attempts to sell the technical merits of a Bose product to a potential Bose customer (someone who walks in the door wearing a "I believe everything Paul Harvey says" button and asking if you carry Bose) will quickly loose a sale. Bose is not sold on technical merit. Not since the original 901 has anything technical ever been discussed by or about Bose products. And we very quickly skimmed over that ridiculous idea of all those drivers facing the wall. The technical instructions any salesperson receives from Bose or their reps amounts to, "play some music for about twenty seconds and then ask if they want the system in white or black." In short, if you ever worked for Bose and left the company with any information that might be useful technically, you were killed like you had asked Tony Soprano to let you leave the family.

Unless someone has a better answer than my "try it and listen for yourself", I doubt there will be a better answer forthcoming. Sorry, that's the way it is.

So, if you don't like "whiners", you might as well make that your first and last post here, HTD. Or supply some answers yourself. Strange thing is, we don't like complainers.

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 8182

That said, why are we suggesting all these products to Danny? He never asked for anyone to tell him what products you guys like. Is that really all you can do?

Gold Member

Post Number: 2063
That about covers it.

Danny is convinced, or prededicated to the Bose pieces that he has on hand.

I have suggested that the satellites may be operable with the Yamaha he is seeking, but that the sub unit is inappropriate at best, useless at nominal.

What more should I do?,Beat the poster mercillessly about the head and upper body?

Nuck, out.

Silver Member

BC Canada

Post Number: 902
I don't see how the recommendations were off base at all. One first needs the well known fact that the Bose sattelites would be killed quickly by sending a full freq. signal to them. The OP knew this and stated he would crossover around 200Hz to a subwoofer. Then the discussion about what sub and whether Velodyne represented good quality.

Not too off base and I'd like some examples of who was whining where.

You're the only one whining Hightechdan.

San Diego, CA Usa

Post Number: 2
Jan is righ on the money, Danny never asked for recommendations, he just asked a straightforward question to wjich nmoone ( with the exception of Nuck) even tried to answer. Danny If you are still there, try www.audioholics.com/. They might be able to answer your question. I personnaly would go Nucks way, try it , the worse that could happen, is that you blow your satellites, and that may not be so bad. As far a Subs go...Gavin: go and do some A/B comparisons of all the subs you mention against the top sunfire, then do a little oscilloscope measuring and then talk. The sunfire is totally flat without any measurable loss, all the way down to 20Hrzt and capable of way over 136db again totally flat and w/o any measuable distortion.

Silver Member
Username: Timn8ter

Seattle, WA USA

Post Number: 863
Why did you change your name?

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 7364
He thinks he is playing the forum for saps. It is so weird that he talks about himself in the third person.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2075
HTDan, here, lie down on the couch and tell us about your parents.
Did you have a difficult childhood?
Is it going to end soon?

Gold Member

Post Number: 7365
I think he is having a schizoid episode. He just told himself to visit audioholics to anwer his own question.

Methinks this calls for stronger medication.

Bronze Member

Chula vista, Ca US

Post Number: 44
you can connect bose satellites to regular receivers. All you have to do is go to an electronic supply store to make mods or improvisations or go to radio shack for adapters etc. dj speakers generally use 1/4 inch, xlr's, and some RCA'S or a combo and various other connectors.

The speakers that wouldn't operate well would be the 901's without the equalizer. to answer this post!

plenty of audiophiles that can give good suggestion or input. just don't insult the people here. cause everyone here is part of an ecoustic audiophile gang. mentioning BOSE is like showing the color red or blue among crips and bloods...
ok, i was kidding!
the people here are generally knowledgeable, they just JOKE around a lot and unfortunately some of the newer people don't know their personallities!
peace!!!

Gold Member

Post Number: 2082
jimmy, I think this your first post without CAPS.
Relax and everything will be fine.

Yes there are clique's here like everywhere else in life.
Screw them.Keep it up Jim, twist a cap and dig the music.

Gold Member

Post Number: 7366
Check the whole thread, jim. It isn't because he brought up Bose. Read and try to understand the connection between Danny Martinez and HighTechDan. Who is insulting who?

Silver Member

Seattle, WA USA

Post Number: 867
jim's answer was right on as far as connecting the satellites. You certainly can drive them with any amp, however, the surgery required may devalue the system and still not give you the results you hope for.

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 8203

I too am confused by the apparent bipolar responses from DM and HTD.

"But they cannot really explain technically why I cannot connect them to any receiver directly."

Tim - So you think Bose's answer to DM/HTD referred only to the connectors on the speakers? And they were unable to technically explain this situation?

Silver Member

Seattle, WA USA

Post Number: 869
Since I don't have a Lifestyle system in front of me it's difficult to be accurate but that's my assumption. Years ago my selling Bose was limited to the Acoustimas 5 and 7, 201, and 301. Based on my recollection of the Acoustimas series all the filtering was contained in the bass module. The satellites were just that with no internal electronics other than overload protection.

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 8205

If that's even a close agreement to "And they were unable to technically explain this situation?" ...

Yikes!

Not sure who the "Yikes" applies to though. Bose or DM/HTD.

Maybe they told HTD but Danny wasn't listening.

Silver Member
Username: Touche6784

USA

Post Number: 967
its funny how these morons pop up here every week or so.

Gold Member

Post Number: 7370
Indeed.

Bronze Member

Chula vista, Ca US

Post Number: 45
I think without being too hypocritical, that we should attempt to all get along in the post and try to help each other out, those who are more experienced, knowledgeable, educated etc. it would be far more constructive. sure we should debate things, but as a constructive criticsm, admonition and praise. we all have our differences and abilities or lack there of. some here are fortunate enough to have strengths in the audio/video world others do not. I guess if some are going to debate a technical issue or product evaluation, you can always repost and start a whole new subject line. some people here are very talented in exposing flaws in a system, product or individual preferences, some are neutral/observers, some are the actual educators of audio/video and have technical expertise and produce experience we can learn from. i think if we aren't so harsh on the new and old members, everyone have 2 cents of knowledge they can share. unfortunately i only have a penny, but the rest of you are richer with your dollar bills. you can afford to tip. i'd rather be an observer and an occasional troublemaker(only if it's bose/kidding)putting my penny's worth. i am here to learn from others, so i read all of your posts and the one's that are technically astute, i absorb, and for those that are comical and full of personallity, it does help with the comedy (-: peace! isn't freedom of speech great. try this in england, the speech police might throw you in AUDIOASYLUM for the insane as an audio prisoner. just imagine an audio/video police? court, and legislative body? there's at least three experts here that can be the judges!

Silver Member

New York USA

Post Number: 935
HTD,

the Wilson Audio XS is flat to 16Hz, and provides some of the fastest, tightest SUB bass that you will ever feel. That, my friend is a TRUE subwoofer.

The 8 12 inch drivers in EACH MartinLogan statement e2 sub tower are flat to 18Hz, and are lightning quick. I would NEVER mate a sunfire with an electrostatic panel (sunfires aren't fast enough IMHO), but the statement e2 succeeds with a seemless blend all the way through.

I will get off my soapbox.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2098
I will buy your soap, Gavin, bathe in it, lather with it,extronicate my genitils with it, and more or less agree with your aqssessment of said soap.
How the heck can I afford them???

Gold Member

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 1106
HighTechDan -

"For example Stu-Pitt states that placement has nothing to do with how a sub sounds????"

You've gotta be kidding me, right? Read the post again. I was stating that after hearing the same sub in a variety of rooms and locations, I ruled out room issues being the sole cause of the sub's problems. The sub sounded horrible no matter how it was placed - correct, incorrect, or indeferently. Furthermore, cabinet resonances are not caused by placement. If a cabinet is garbage - which it is in the case of the sub in question - it will resonate independantly of placement or room characteristics. A bad cabinet will resonate no matter where you put it. If you put it far enough away, you may not hear it as much, but get a little closer and it'll become painfully obvious.

But I guess you already knew that didn't you.

Gold Member

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 1107
One more thing Mr. Wizard -

"You can take a Carver Sunfire EQ Signature Sub (probably the best sub out there at any price), place in the wrong place in the room and the resonances you create will make it sound like cheap Audivox subwoofer."

The cabinet won't resonate, other objects in the room will. Their is a big difference between the speaker box making noise and other objects in the room making noise.

Furthermore, while the Sunfire is a very good sub (I've said it many times before), their are far better subs out there - Naim, REL, ERA just to name a few.

Gold Member

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 1108
Every time I read your ignorant post, it gets better and better -

Who said Circuit City was a high end store? Do you really think I go into that store for anything more than a few CD's and DVD's?

Silver Member

New York USA

Post Number: 937
I usually buy my CD's and DVD's online. You can get some brand new ones for next to nothing from www.half.com

Gold Member

Post Number: 2108
And Stuie gives 'em a flex.

Stu, thanks for taking the time to open the can of whoopass that post so obviously begged for.

San Diego, CA Usa

Post Number: 3
Thanks for all your info. I haven't responded back, because I have a life and don't sit in front of the computer all day long! Any spare time I have left over, I listen to music, which I love. Yes maybe my Bose suck, but I still enjoy listening to music nevertheless. Yes, I could replace all my speakers, but unfortunately, I have limited funds, and cannot afford all the exotics components you guys can. The Bose were given to me for a wedding present years ago and I have to try to do the best I can with what I have, until I can replace them. If I buy new speakers, I will have nothing to drive them with. By the way, I did buy the Yamaha, and someone gave me a old Polk sub. I connected the Bose and Polk directly to the receiver and it sounds way, way better than with the accoustimass sub. I guess the weakest part of the system is the sub. What do you guys think of infinity speakers ( satellite/sub, I have no room for floor standing) Happy listening.

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 8273

You're asking us? Heck, we don't know. All we do is sit in front of our computers all day and the lifes we do have don't involve Bose.

Silver Member

USA

Post Number: 976
YOU GO DAN!!! we are so damn honored that you have vested your 2 minutes to write more useless crap. we all dont have exotics. i dont consider my B&W 601s an exotic by any means. if you compare it to the bose then yes it must be a godsend. why bother to ask us for suggestions when you act like an @ss to us and you know you will get a new hole torn into you? and we dont have lives? you were probably checking this page every 10 minutes to see what people have said in repsonse to your nonsense.

Silver Member

BC Canada

Post Number: 914
Fact is, DAN, many Ecoustics members' systems cause less to put together than a mid level Bose system. Wedding present or not I personally would have returned that crap for something better.

A pair of $50 bookshelves would sound better than 5 of those Bose crap-cubes. We all know the reason you don't get rid of them is your wife will flip about replacing Auntie Sue's wedding present.

If have have to keep the speakers, too bad, just stop making excuses. You like music so much and your spare time is sooo valuable, too bad you have to waste it listening to crap.

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 8275

Wow, that got a lot uglier than I had expected.

Silver Member

USA

Post Number: 977
haha, its not your fault jan. i will take full responsibility for restarting the forest fire. :-)

Bronze Member

Chula vista, Ca US

Post Number: 55
hightechdan? Infinity...they have been around since the 70's, that's when they were making high end and they kind of stopped in the 90's! Like polk, they have downgraded to mid level systems to compete with the bose, pioneer, onkyo, yamaha, denon, sony market. You should ask mr. vigne since he has knowledge on the business/seller aspect on audio as well as the technical aspects or hardware.
In my opinion, infinity is far better than bose. They use far better grade internal components.
The only bose I like are the bose that are free and I can sell at ebay for double the price.
Listening to it? Unless i want to feel depressed!
Next time, take the advice of some of the technical advisors here. If you enjoy music and HT, it's advisable!

San Diego, CA Usa

Post Number: 4
CL:
Your 2 minutes are up...
Happy listening!

Gold Member

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 1171
Which Dan says that?

Silver Member

USA

Post Number: 987
i dont think it really matters. both are pretty stupid.

Gold Member

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 1179
Yeah, but their's stupid and polite Dan, and then their's stupid and ignorant Dan.

Silver Member

BC Canada

Post Number: 920
Check the username of the OP, they're both the same person.

Gold Member

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 1181
Exactly. I was trying to figure out which Dan personality was talking last.

Gold Member

Post Number: 7509
Yup, this schizoid episodes are so confusing.

Bronze Member

Chula vista, Ca US

Post Number: 57
for you highly intelligent and business minded audiophiles, you guys should start your own line of audio.
I would just buy because of name if I was a bose fanatic... monkey audio, ape coustics, guerrilla cables, orangutan plasma, banana speakers.

This whole thread has gone APE! see what mentioning bose does to an audiophile's mind?
The surgeon general should indicate on all bose products "HAZARDOUS TO YOUR HEALTH" consult your physician before use!

Dr. Vigne should be the authority putting the health and safety label on bose products!

Gold Member
Username: Edster922

Abubala, Ababala The Occupation

Post Number: 3840
Jim, you're not a far-flung relation of one Andy Summers are ya?

Gold Member

Post Number: 7519
Not until he speaks of JBL speakers and industry standards:-)

Bronze Member

Chula vista, Ca US

Post Number: 58
edster, maybe me and mr summers are identical twins in the parallel universe? and just maybe, bose manufactures jet engines in that universe instead of audio?

berny you meant JBL...."jungle boogie loudspeaker?" I only recognize vintage JBL's and their pro lines, anything else belongs to apes. Like infinity, polk and others, they have gone ape trying to compete with bose in mass hysteria advertising and marketing cheap low fi, mid-fi products.
this thread is coming out of the jungle! you and I know that some manufacturers make loudspeaker cabinets APE proof like 1970's samsonite commercials with the guerrilla jumping up and down them luggage.

I do know that bose products make good cat litter, scratching post and target practice for NRA members! the materials are cheap enough for easy disposal.

Gold Member

Post Number: 7536
Ashley...better known as Andy Summers is a big fan of JBL. He tends to go off on a tangent, when it comes to jungle boogies, but he's alright.

Anyway, this is about Dan and his alter-ego. I think the Bose issue has fallen on the wayside.

I've never seen guerillas jumping on luggage, however, I've heard of guerilla tactics:-)

San Diego, CA Usa

The technical information flowing on this forum is second to none! Or perhaps, maybe second only to Bose.

Silver Member

BC Canada

Post Number: 922
You want tech talk follow the link

http://www.avsforum.com

You want a sensible down to Earth discussion stick around.

Silver Member

USA

Post Number: 995
first he has to fix his attitude before he sticks around.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2217
And how did you become hall monitor, Chris?

Silver Member

USA

Post Number: 996
i was giving the admin blowjobs. thats why he wasnt able to do his job for the past few weeks.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2231
Okee Dokee.
Your upcoming gold membership has been earned in more ways than one, Chris.

Gold Member

Post Number: 7571
Good answer, good answer

Upload

Gold Member

Post Number: 2235
I'm pretty sure Berny's pic is for you Christopher, I would agree.

San Diego, CA Usa

Post Number: 6
I guess Bose is not the only thing that sucks around here!

Gold Member

Post Number: 7575
Was Danny Martinez killed off? What happened to him?

Silver Member

USA

Post Number: 997
haha, maybe i took that too far.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2245
You killed Danny! you B@stard!

Gold Member

Post Number: 2246
Nope Chris, LMAO!
Good posting.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2247
and what happened to the drop down menu's on the forum?

Bronze Member

Chula vista, Ca US

Post Number: 59
ARE you guys sure you are not referring to KENNY from southpark regarding mr martinez? kenny always gets killed cause he's an alien, extra terrestial.
that's what AA stands for, alien audio, not alcoholic anonymous which i'm sure after experiencing this forum, you'd want to become drunk after awhile hearing people endorsing bose, now it change from going ape to southpark, what's next, looney tunes?

Gold Member

Post Number: 7576
Who is endorsing Bose?

Bronze Member

Chula vista, Ca US

Post Number: 60
no one in their right mind is endorsing bose here...i think i may have just said that from BOSE combat syndrome. it's an audio disease that affects the ears, the brain and cd's. i think it's called a computer virus, BOSE VIRUS! you might have to go to best buy, bose outlet to get the anti-virus.

i own OHM, so I am endorsing anything that uses walsh type drivers, planars, electrostats, line source configuration and a mix there of like dali's with their ribbons and dynamic drivers.

I found another neat newer speaker design...
www.decware.com they sell tubes and decware speakers. all high end stuff..the model i like is affordable cheaper in price than the bose 901's,
decware RL model 1.5, at $1295, it uses a walsh type design and the sound cylinder cabinets similar to older ohm models. uses a ribbon for supertweeter.
It's supposed to be an improvement of the walsh system. german physiks are the other walsh type makers, but their line is $10k and up.
If i could start a loudspeaker museum with your taxpayers money, I would. I am enthusiast of so many different exotic designs.
I would have a section for bose, theater research, kraco and the like. that would be on the historical ripp off side like them VCR'S in the 80's being sold in the streets for cheap that just had a ROCK inside the box. You old timers know what i'm talking about!
other neat designs are ESS LABORATORIES connoisseur series. It's an off shoot of the ess speakers using the heil tweeters. I think they are a separate comapny from ESS cause they use a different cabinet design.
I just don't get it? so many nice designed loudspeaker manufacturers, and you got people duped into bose and theater research?
As for me, got myself a used ohm pro 200 sound cylinder at ebay to add to my collection of smaller walsh designs (-: while you guys with huge pockets can afford those NEW martin logans and B&W's and von schweikerts.
We're back to audio! just don't go ape on me.
i think i'll go visit the bose thrashing forums!!!
that's my therapy after experiencing this thread!
Has anyone developed a banana shaped loudspeaker yet? that's what those going ape on audio needs!

San Diego, CA Usa

Post Number: 7
are AR's any good?

Silver Member

USA

Post Number: 999
i have heard that they were good a while back but have since gone down the tubes.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2259
Just one more Chris, gimme a good comeback for your Golden Shower.

Bronze Member

Chula vista, Ca US

Post Number: 62
CHRIS is correct, AR was good and an innovator back in the 70's. The AR-9 was revolutionary, cause the modern HT towers with the side firing bassa and front firing mid/highs were designed by them. Like Allison, they went down the tubes. They do have sound processor that's inexpensive that improves 3 dimensionallity in most systems for budge. I highly recommend it matched with dakiom feeback stabilizers. It's called tds-202 spatial enhancer, completely passive, no electrical connections. They only manufactuer inexpensive budget loudspeakers these days like BIC and KLH who were once high end manufacturers. That's what happened to infinity, polk, jbl, klipsch, altec lansing, cerwin vegas in general. Electrovoice used to be in the home scene in the 70's and 80's, now they just stuck to their professional line and that's where jbl, klipsch, cerwin vega and altec lansing excells in their designs these days.
I'm not going to completely bash bose, but back in the 60's,70's especially, they were decent and the 80's. They stopped there and couldn't really keep up in technology. Bose's stupidity is using cheap drivers and not improving on them. With all the new materials and exotic semi conductors for crossovers like lintkwitz, companies like them make their money from marketing and mass production and that's what the major brands like them have done. But they were never high end.
Dbx made some good loudspeakers in the 80's. Too bad they stopped.
QUADS, magnepan,beveridge,ess and ohm for example have maintained their high end manufacturing thank goodness. Klipsch were smart for maintaining their high end designs while catering to the ht mass market.

Silver Member

USA

Post Number: 1000
haha, now that you put me on the spot i dunno if i can top my last one. :-)

Gold Member

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 1213
"are AR's any good?"

You tell us. Seeing as how you know so much more than the rest of us, why ask?

San Diego, CA Usa

Post Number: 8
I see, well thanks.
I just figured out that "STU" is short for stupid.
Now everything makes sense!!!
Don't be jealous, someday you'll catch up to the rest of buddies on this forum. You just have to hang in there a bit. I do advise you to keep the insults to a minimum; it will make your life easier in the long run. Have a wonderful day...

Gold Member

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 1241
"I just figured out that "STU" is short for stupid."
You think? It took you long enough, didn't it? I guess nothing gets by you, does it?

"Don't be jealous, someday you'll catch up to the rest of buddies on this forum."
It didn't take me very long to catch onto anything. You on the other hand, see my previous comments.

"I do advise you to keep the insults to a minimum; it will make your life easier in the long run."
That scares me. Trust me, I won't lose any sleep over it.

"Have a wonderful day..."
You too, my friend. You too :-)

Gold Member

New York USA

Post Number: 1065
are you sure HTD really doesnt stand for: HugemanTittedDickhead?

Bronze Member
Username: Dobyblue

St. Catharines, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 66
It certainly doesn't stand for grammar scholar, that's for sure.

Bronze Member

Chula vista, Ca US

Post Number: 82
this thread has gone very apish...and no longer in urban setting but JUNGLE SETTING, i think we should all go see the guy with the WHITE VAN, and buy ourselves some theater research speakers or dogg digital, exchange it for bose at ebay, auction it or sell it and use the money we sell the bose for to pay off our TAXES!

The IRS just might give all of you guys and me,
a major TAX break out of sympathy! They will know thru the secret service and fbi who handles the fraud complaints, that WE are victims of FRAUDULENT audio!

Gold Member

Post Number: 7827
Jim...What's with you and apes??? :-)
Here...since you like them so much:

Upload

Bronze Member

Chula vista, Ca US

Post Number: 84
that's funny berny! this thread can use a laugh, since politicians are turning the u.s. into a BANANA republic and i happen to be a big planet of the apes fan. Has anyone seen cornelius? I think zera kicked him out because he bought BEVERIDGE loudspeakers instead of a beverage when she sent him out for groceries.
You have speakers like that, you can pretty much use it on future FLOODS. I can say that about them von schweikert flagships too and genesis!
I think i'll build me a loudspeaker from the redwood trees, so i can call it ape audio, so i can also climb it and pick bananas while I install the tweeters (tweety bird)! I just have to make sure I use SYLVESTER cables. Maybe i'll just use, FOGHORN leghorn as my high frequency drivers.
Watch out avant garde and magico! Foghorn leghorn and chickenhawk midranges will put you out of business.

Username: Cut10427

Florida US

It just amazes me on the shear stupidity of morons that acumulate on these so called audio forums. Like a bunch of stupid, junior high teanie boppers bit@hing like you know what the hell you're talking about when in all actuallity, you don't know a damn thing about anything. When it comes down to actually offering useful advice, which never happens, you are all about as useless as balls on a preist.. Sorry if I offended any holy fathers out there. You people need some serious help in your useless little lives, and a new set of ears. Bose products are just as good any other audio co. products. Do you really think that they would still be in business for over 40 years if they were junk? I own the 201 series IV, 301 series IV, and just purchased 601 series II. I've owned many speakers from companies ranging from Klipsch to Triangle. I've liked some and disliked others. But I sure didn't run online and get on the first audio forum that came to mind and start bashing the ones I didn't like. You dumba@@es forget to realize that speakers are going to only sound as good as the equipment there hooked up to and not to mention, the quality of the recordings, and speaker placement. There is no perfect loudspeaker out there. And certainly, not even the ones that you have to take out a second mortgage on your house to afford. And by the time you get them home and hook them up and think you're in audio heaven with your highly overpriced purchase, the company's no longer in business. But I guess you already new that, like everything else...... I love my Bose speakers and couldn't really give a healthy 5hit what you moron's think.

Gold Member

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 1282
"I love my Bose speakers and couldn't really give a healthy 5hit what you moron's think."

I beg to differ. I think you're very interested in what we think; other wise you wouldn't have posted here. Just because a product has been around for a while doesn't mean it's good. It means their's a lot of suckers out there, such as yourself, that have fallen for marketing.

Your speakers suck. Stop trying to justify it to yourself. It's ok to fall for a scam. Everyone has been had at least once in their lives. Let it go. My main concern here is that you've fallen for it a number of times. When will it end?

Out of curiousity, you wouldn't happen to be another one of Dan's personalities, would you?

Silver Member

BC Canada

Post Number: 955
Upload

Naw, this guy can write much better than Dan. While his post is well written, it is very misguided. His anger is just beginning to bubble to the surface as he contemplates the fact that he has spent over $3000 on speakers made of plastic and paper.

Look at the above frequency graph of a Bose Lifestyle system. Look at the large frequency gap between where the "Bass Module" and the satellites play. Look at the crazy response of the satellites that look like chicken scratch from a four year old. It's fine you like your speakers, but realise they are not accurate, they leave out certain frequencies and over-stress others. What you hear is a completely different presentation of what was recorded. I'd rather have as close to the real thing as possible, that's my aim with a theatre system.

Florida US

Post Number: 2
Yeah, I'm a sucker for marketing all right. That's why I by them used on Ebay, dip5hit. Do yourself, and us a favor and purchase a handgun. Put a bullet in it and stick it in your mouth. Oh, don't forget to pull the trigger.... You're wasting my air.... dumba55

Gold Member

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 1285
OK rocket scientist. Where you bought them from is irrevelant. You think "Bose products are just as good any other audio co." Just as good even though they've been proven time and time again to be garbage.

Why are so many of them on EBay? If they were so great, wouldn't they be a little hard to come by? At least someone else realized that they're Busch League and unloaded them. You've fallen for the hype how many times now? Again, stop trying to justify buying bad speakers. Cut your losses.

Bronze Member
Username: Darth

The woodlands

Post Number: 55
TT ,
Compare this graph to the one posted by Kano, can you tell the difference?

http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/assets/download/MirageNanosatlab.pdf

Bose are not as good as you think they are no matter what you or I say, the facts are the facts.

Gold Member

New York USA

Post Number: 1126
totally agree!

go listen to a pair of Mirage OM series speakers, and then tell me your bose are every bit as good as you say they are.

Hell, Orb Audio www.orbaudio.com will blow bose right out of the water. They are one of the handfull of companies that make small speakers that present sound in such a way that if I had to have small speakers, I would purchase these. I really don't mind them. Granted, they are not ML, but they are great quality speakers, ESPECIALLY for the size / price.

Florida US

Post Number: 3
You think "Bose products are just as good any other audio co." Just as good even though they've been proven time and time again to be garbage.

And this is coming from someone that has 1,285 posts on this forum. If the rest of his posts are this useless and mundane then why does he even bother. Your username really fits you, no I really mean that, cincerely. Except it should have a d at the end instead of two t's. The ignorance truly amazes me.... Oh but I'm in denial and have been suckered into the hype... PLLEEAASSE! Too funny.. And since when does anybody use a bunch of graphs and charts to determine what type and brand of loudspeaker they're going to purchase? I'm sorry but I do it the old fashioned way, I USE MY EARS! Maybe you idiots should try it. I don't give a 5hit what's written down on paper to justify my purchase. If it sounds good, that's all that matters to me. But oh no... I'm still in denial!!! HA-HA! Unbelievable....

Silver Member

BC Canada

Post Number: 959
"And since when does anybody use a bunch of graphs and charts to determine what type and brand of loudspeaker they're going to purchase?"

Never, except in this case. Usually a graph shows absolutely nothing of how it sounds in a frequency response graph.

But in this case it does. The x axis refers to the frequency range of the speaker. 20Hz is the lowest bass the human ear is proposed to be able to hear. 20,000Hz is the highest. The y axis is the decibel level the speaker plays at a certain frequency. For some reason I suspect you had no clue as to how to read it.

Now take a look at around 200Hz, where there is a huge hole around 200Hz. This means certain sounds will be lost in that black hole. If a main line of a mid bass line resides in this hole, the song will sound completely different on a differenct system. The other major flaw (exluding the extreme coloration beween 1000 and 7000 Hz) is the speakers stop playing far short of 20,000Hz. I guess Bose decided those frequencies are scary! They shouldn' be heard, they don't sound nice - we'll just leave them out, we'd have to use a tweeter instead of a 2" paper cone, that would seriously disrupt our 1500% profit margin.

The graph tells more than me just saying the sound sucks, it illustrates how inaccurate the sound is compared to what was recorded. The explain why certain sounds can't be heard. It explains why cymbal lines have not been heard at all on certain recordings with some of Bose speakers.

Usually a frequency response graph doesn't tell much, this is because all the other speakers measure flat, so it's not consequencial.

Gold Member

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 1289
A graph won't tell you how good a speaker sounds, but it will tell you how bad it sounds. A speaker missing that many frequencies is garbage. A speaker emphasising that many frequencies is garbage as well. So... Garbage + Garbage = ? You guessed it. Thomas Tidwell's (aka HighTech Dan, aka Danny Martinez) beloved Bose speakers.

Further proof of how much your speakers suck - http://www.intellexual.net/bose.htmlck

Silver Member

BC Canada

Post Number: 961
http://www.intellexual.net/bose.html

Florida US

Post Number: 4
Further proof of how much your speakers suck Yeah, they suck all right... About as well as you, from what your boyfriend told me. A little less tongue action on the balls though.... Man, when will you dumba55es let up. You know, I think what really burns you idiots up is that Bose can take simple, paper drivers and make them sound really good. Oh wait, I'm still in denial... Tooo funny!!!

Bronze Member
Username: Gamerdude

Ontario Canada

Post Number: 45
hahah nice site kano

its saying Nortan anti virus is good but really it sucks a55 and dosnt work too great

Bronze Member

The woodlands

Post Number: 56
no, you are not in denial you are just ignorant. Bottom line is; if you are happy with your BOSE fine, who cares, it is you listening to them not me. All I know is that for the price there are much better options out there whether you agree or not.

Florida US

Yup, I sure am, the dumbest of them all. Well hell, I should fit in here perfectly then.. Oh well, it was fun while it lasted but I'm through with you morons. You can go back to your useless, opinionated I'm right, no I'm right babbleing. I've got better things to do with my time like watching paint dry on a wall.

Bronze Member

The woodlands

Post Number: 58
see ya! :-)

Gold Member

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 1292
Cut10427 (aka Thomas Tidwell aka HighTech Dan aka danny Martinez) -

See you later. Can't wait to hear from your next personality...

Bronze Member

Chula vista, Ca US

Post Number: 99
good observation stu!
I owned the bose 601 series two in 1981, it was ok to me back then cause I have never heard anything better.I had some bose 901, stacked in two pairs, while stationed in okinawa when I was in the service. back then on the exchange, kenwood, B.E.S or bertagni, JBL's, SONY'S were the only competition. No real high end like maggies, ohm, beveridge, infinity, polk, quads etc.
I didn't know there were systems better. I was brainwashed into believing bose was all that.
I thought the bose sounded good back then but always complained about the fake MID BASS with no low bass on the 901's. even the 601 sounded better on the low notes. It wasn't til i got TREATMENT in which i heard real audio and owning magnepans and ohm's and got to listen to other high end speakers on high end stores like von schweikerts, vandersteens and b&W in the showrooms later during my span from demos that i have come out from my BOSEAHOLIC disease. I didn't know there was treatment from being drunk by bose products.
Since learning TRUE high end audiophile systems. nowadays i'm glad to say that I am a recovering BOSEAHOLIC abuser.I am no longer addicted and drunk from bose products. I have been sober for the past 10 yrs. In response to thomas tidwell or bose defender, bose have been around over 40 yrs which proves nothing. KLH, RCA, G.E, EMERSON, BIC has too, but they don't claim to be high end or hi fi either? Klipsch have been around longer, BUT they kept up with technology and the times. DRUGS have been around longer, does that mean that crack, pcp, opium, good for you?
I guess to some it is, like addicts. Bose is the same i guess?
Besides the materials used in bose is cheap and low quality, especially the newer designs, for example the bose 901 was originally designed to save space yet producing large sound. It was also intented to be made simple? Nothing wrong back then having an equalizer for some systems. many manfucturers have used that. But today, for the 901 to function properly, it needs SPACE, at least 3 1/2 feet from rear walls and 18 inches from the side and solid walls to do proper reflection according to their theory. What space? what simplicity with an equalizer? You can't use it without it and you can't use NORMAL loudspeakers with the bose 901 unless you have a SEPARATE amp. So much about practicallity. They also used to indicate it has INFINITE power handling? Never heard of a loudspeaker that didn't have any limits. The 901's did have limits and started to crack at high sound pressure levels when you drive it hard enough and it sounded like AIR coming out of a box. What bass? It only creates a hollow mid-bass that sounds like a tunnel. Even when stacked the way i had it, which sounded better lacked serious low end. My system sounded only decent and pretty good imaging and soundstaging on jazz and classical only because of my carver holography, dbx processors, equalizers and amps. When they are all bypassed, the bose barely made any noise..sounded FLAT as a pancake. I enjoyed it back then because i didn't know any better and haven't heard better.

When I heard maggies,i finally got to hear what piano sounds like and clean strings.
When I listened to a b&w and vandersteen at a showroom, i never heard very clean highs and tight bass with soothing midrange before. A voice sounded live rather than a recording which i heard from bose.I feel that bose was good in the 60,70's and 80's. The technology simply could not keep up with the newer designs. What gets me is the overpricing of low quality/cheap drivers pasted on crappy cabinets these days.
I could understand getting bose in those years for the average consumer, but in the 90's to now. It's utterly insane. Still using cheap paper diaphrams, and cheap cabinets, crossovers like fisher.
If you are a DIY person, you can put together your own speaker with high grade materials that would outperform the insane prices of bose. I would get economical dj loudspeakers which cost far less than bose products and blow it out of the water!
You can like bose but make sure to place restraining order from the courts on bose from my ears, at least 100 ft.(-:

« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us