Paradigm Atom/PSB AlphaB

Bronze Member
Username: Allen

Post Number: 17
HI All,

I'm planning to set up a small HT in my basement with my Nad T752 receiver.I heard these speakers but not side by side.Which speaker is better on both HT and music?

Hawk please help?Hope you will love again your Nad when it comes back as I do love mine.

Thanks

Silver Member
Username: Gavincumm

New York USA

Post Number: 892
well lets see,

I have atoms hooked up to a system for my casual listening purposes, as well as to improve the TV sound.

They are really enjoyable. Now, they aren't going to compete with high buck speakers in extracting the last detail, but they are satisfying to me in a way that other small budget speakers aren't (at least ones I have encountered). They throw a nice stable image that extends beyond the speaker cabinets, and the image is also fairly deep for a small budget model. I find my smooth jazz to sound great on them, and have even pulled them out to the optimum position and listened to CD after CD, without getting fatigued, and without having my subwoofer hooked up to them.

I have magnepans in my main system, so that will give you an idea of what I am comparing them to. And if I can listen to these speakers without nitpicking (sure they have their faults, but what speaker doesn't) and just enjoy the music, that is what earns my stamp of approval.

I would also reccomend taking a look at the Onix X-series speakers. They look to be even better than either of these speakers you have asked. I am tempted to purchase a pair for myself just to see.

http://www.av123.com/products_product.php?section=speakers&product=83.1

this is the main page for the X series speakers:
http://www.av123.com/products_category_brand.php?section=speakers&brand=55

Username: Firebook23

Post Number: 5
I would Go with the http://www.psbspeakers.com/product.php?pId=21&sId=4

PSB Alpha Speakers, but they are both very close.

Silver Member

New York USA

Post Number: 917
someone on here has the onix X series and he said they are better than the PSB alphas

Gold Member
Username: Stu_pitt

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 1100
Someone having one and saying they're better than the other doesn't mean much to me at all. It's quite possible they are. Everyone here owns 'the best speaker' for their budget and application.

Gavin, you like the Paradigm monitor 7. I own the PSB Image T55. I say the T55 is better. How much does that mean?

Truth is, the Alpha and Atom are both very good speakers. The differences are in the subtleties. If you like the sound, you really can't go wrong with either one.

Lhendog -

If your budget can stretch it, I'd look higher up the ladder than the Atom/Alpha. Personally, I'd pair your receiver up with an Image or Monitor series speaker. It may be a few bucks more, but should be well worth the investment.

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 2023
The B25's were really really good when I heard them last,the bass is full, the tweet is a tad far reaching,but only at very high levels, like it wants to grow a bit, but that was with Bryston 7's, and a Linn cdp.

Bronze Member
Username: Allen

Post Number: 18
Thanks guys. I think I have to stick on a small bookshelf since my basement is too small.
Atom is showing more glowing reviews than the PSB but still I need to listen to them side by side.

Cheers

Silver Member

New York USA

Post Number: 924
they have a different, but yet slightly similar sound to them. They both have that canadian "house" sound.

By this I mean they are smooth, have great highs, great midrange, and bass that sounds bigger than the cabinet would suggest. Canadian speakers are also described as sounding "laid back"

This is not to suggest that they sound alike, aside from what is described above. I never meant to imply that the PSB were bad speakers, far from it!

Gold Member

Post Number: 2048
The Psb's and Paradigms were both born from the CRC in Ottawa.
The Canadian Research Center was designed for a variety of projects to get more Federal Money.
Along with the Canadarm on the space shuttle, the Center built the finest anochaic chamber yet in use.

Paul Barton, Ian Paisley and other notables use this chamber for testing, and all of them use the same equipment, most of the tech's and certainly the same power for reference purposes.

If the result is a 'Canadian' sound, this is the reason.

Actually, this is the first time that I have heard the term 'Canadian sound'.

If that is what it is(including Totem), I be a proud Nuck!(and Hockey, eh?).

I know the term was not expressed implicitly, but I have implied 'house' with Canadian sound.

Eh.

Silver Member

New York USA

Post Number: 930
the canadian house sound came up in an article of soundstage. can't remember which one.

Username: Firebook23

Post Number: 7
It's they actually call it the NRC.... i think
a few good articals on the NRC on the PSB Web site
http://www.psbspeakers.com/audioTopics.php?fpId=4&page_num=1&start=0
http://www.psbspeakers.com/audioTopics.php?fpId=70&page_num=1&start=0

Silver Member
Username: Gman

Mt. Pleasant, SC

Post Number: 892
I just replaced the PSB Alpha's with Onix XL-S speakers ($199 in great looking light maple). To my ears they sound much better than the Alpha's. I just pensioned off the Alpha's to my niece. These speakers would make a wonderful inexpensive surround system, but they sound great in any small to medium sized room too.

The XL-S a very heavy speaker (17 lbs). The Alpha's weigh 9 lbs. The XL-S's are about an inch bigger in all dimensions. The XL-S's don't have a grill cloth. Some may or may not like this. I think they look great, but if one has kids with probing hands it could be a deal killer.

Plus the Onix speakers come shipped with excellent protection. They will be releasing a center channel speaker soon in the X-series line. They already have an X-sub, but will be releasing a more robust sub in the X-series soon. Mark Schifter at Onix has worked with Arnie Nudell (who sold Infinity speakers years ago to Harman Int'l and later began Genesis speakers with Mark Schifter). The AV123.com site (Onix speaker and electronics)has a wonderful array of products at great prices.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2091
Sorry, and thanks Kevin, the links I use are from the old development pages.

The Onix seem to be the ticket, Greg, for you and I will check it out.

Now as soon as the Lings arrive...

Silver Member
Username: Gman

Mt. Pleasant, SC

Post Number: 893
Nuck--Certainly there are plenty more expensive speakers that can pay louder and go deeper than the Onix XL-S. I would presume the Emma's would have some advantageous characteristics considering they are 2 1/2 times the price.

Let us know how you like them. I'd certainly be interested in reading your opinion.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2101
Gregory, I will be using the Lings at my computer desk with The Sonic-T amp.
A rather bizarre combination, but nothing out of the ordinary for me.

I will offer opinions next week when I return.

Hug the little ones, Kiss your partner and keep a smile on your clock, everyone.

Peace.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us