Onix X-Series

Bronze Member
Username: Walkeye

Post Number: 16
Just read the Audioholics review on the new Onix X-Series bookshelf. Anyone onboard had a chance to give these a good listen? Price point and apparent build quality caught my eye. Thanks!

http://www.audioholics.com/productreviews/loudspeakers/Onixxlsp1.php

Silver Member
Username: Gman

Mt. Pleasant, SC

Post Number: 881
I bought a pair for my office. I had a pair of PSB Alpha's before and besides the XL-S sounding much better, it also looks and is built dramatically better too. Truly amazing that a pair of $199 speakers could sound this good with such a robust soundstage and amazing midrange with silky highs. Heck, getting 5 of them with an Onix X-sub at $199 and you'd have an amazingly good home theatre system for a small to medium-sized room.

They even have a package price of this for $696--truly amazing. Of course one could get their more expensive Onix Rocket UFW-10 subwoofer in the same shadow maple at $499. Or a good HSU subwoofer--and voila.

For an under $1,000 home theatre set-up (spending $500 for 5 XL-S speakers) and having up to $500 to spend on a subwoofer gives anyone an incredible system at the price.

I'm very tempted to bring them home to hook them up in a large room with a subwoofer and hear how they sound.

Bronze Member
Username: Walkeye

Post Number: 17
Thanks for the response, Gregory. If you should try them at home, I'd love to hear your impressions. By the way, Onix claims the X-Series center should be available by June or July.

Silver Member
Username: Gavincumm

New York USA

Post Number: 912
looks like I'll have to purchase a pair for myself and put them through the paces :-). Wonder if they can keep up with my maggies? (yeah right)

But, if they can best my paradigm atoms, I might just make a home for them, and you guys know I LOVE my atoms.

Gold Member
Username: Edster922

Abubala, Ababala The Occupation

Post Number: 3772
That would be an interesting test, Gavin.

Just got a used pair of Polk Monitor 30s for surrounds ($128 shipped on eBay), they retail for $200/pair too so I wonder how they'd compare to the XL-S...

Silver Member
Username: Dakulis

Spokane, Washington United States

Post Number: 893
Nice try, Ed.

No, I'm not buying another set of speakers, just to give you a review. LOL

BTW, I just got Tim's revised Emmas and I'll give them a listen this weekend and report.
(Sorry to hijack your thread, Walkeye.)

Gold Member
Username: Edster922

Abubala, Ababala The Occupation

Post Number: 3773
"revised" Emmas? How so?

Username: Atex

Post Number: 1
I actually just bought an Onix X-Sub to go with my Mini Monitors. I am very pleased with it so far, other than some minor problems with the auto-on. That said, keep in mind that this is my first system and I don't crave a ridiculous amount of bass either.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us